Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post

haven't watched the kid so don't know him at all but he seemed scattered or rattled Saturday. if he's normally steady, it all started on the bad snap at the beginning of the game. i've looked at that play a couple of times and he wasn't even looking in the direction of the snap when it happened. the ball was drug and hit the centers leg which put it out of reach even if he did turn on it and manage to corral it. seeing the snap that way tells me the center misheard something and realized halfway through the snap he screwed up. the int across the middle early in the 1st quarter was right after the botched snap and he tried to force that ball with that linebacker stepping right in front of it. maybe he didn't see the linebacker but the receiver did him no favors. didn't even attempt to fight for the possession. just let him have the ball.
    After those two possessions, Hohensee seemed to be in hyper drive and couldn't settle down. i think you guys had 4 or 5 fumbles and lost 3 of them? he's rolling out and throwing across his body into double coverage etc. i don't know i didn't think it was all his fault. he WAS making plays just didn't have enough help around him at times. hell, what do i know, we have offensive problems of our own.
    I was watching him warm up before the game and told my wife that he had a weird throwing motion? Looked very long and loopy and not a very natural motion for a QB at that level! I am no QB expert by any stretch but have watched a lot of football in my time and his motion was different enough for it to stand out to me. I do agree that not all of the mistakes were his fault as our D-line was creating havoc but he just doesn't seem to be the answer for a program of their caliber! We shall see how he plays the remainder of the season, given the chance? He may have just had "one of" those games!! It happens to the best!

Comment

• NW hasn’t had a good QB since Kyle Z in ‘16.
      Randy S. would likely have been the ‘17 QB had he not torn his ACL before the season. I was hoping he would take a medical redshirt and come back in ‘18 but he didn’t

Comment

• Will any of the 3 Oline or 2 RB’s that didn’t play vs UCO be available for MoWest? Also both Braden and Mike were gimpy at times. Will Krause or Runhke get any snaps this Sat?

Comment

• D-Lineman Michael Slater picked up the errant snap and carried it to the NW 11 yard line. Bronchos scored on next play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

I agree with this. I also don't think it's realistic for those that think we'd still be at that same level we were during that 4 year stretch if AD had stayed all these years. Would we better? Possibly. But, I'm sure someone else would've given RW a shot at being a head coach... he might've even moved up a level as a coordinator. RW has his faults for sure, but would people view him differently as a head coach if AD was his offensive coordinator and offensive line coach? Which would be basically what AD was working with. I know that simplifies it, but I just think a lot of it has to do with staff, which granted, is his responsibility to get right. That said, the guy is 42-10 with 3 conference championships and 4 playoff births in 4 years. Only in Bearcat land is that offensive on the D2 level.
            honestly i don't even think you need to address rw as hc when it's questioned as it has been itt. the mob is out when a loss occurs & ppl post w/o thinking or are hammered drunk or whatever is driving the nonsense. he's the best defensive coach in div 2. those notions should be ignored or mocked they're too absurd to be taken seriously. he's got some real problems he hasn't fig'd out yet but they have to be discussed in context.
            Go Bearcats!
            M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

• Really good D2 QBs are hard to find. Being a run heavy team makes it even harder. NW is still fairly balanced, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Maybe QB development is the area
                to improve?
                BW is the same player he was when he started.

Comment

• Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                  NW hasn’t had a good QB since Kyle Z in ‘16.
                  Randy S. would likely have been the ‘17 QB had he not torn his ACL before the season. I was hoping he would take a medical redshirt and come back in ‘18 but he didn’t
                  WR's haven't been great either.

Comment

• Originally posted by visionpipe View Post
                    Well it looks like the best coach AD is getting some pay back.north west The dynasty is over it was over when AD left
                    He likely should have never left. He wasn't a good FCS coach which is why he's back in D2.
                    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

• Originally posted by UNALions View Post

He likely should have never left. He wasn't a good FCS coach which is why he's back in D2.
                      He started in the best position a coach could find themself in at NW. His talent on defense when he was HC was insane. Yeah he was a bust at FCS. I've intrigued how well he can build a culture

Comment

• Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post

He started in the best position a coach could find themself in at NW. His talent on defense when he was HC was insane. Yeah he was a bust at FCS. I've intrigued how well he can build a culture
                        Yeah. I almost think it takes a certain skill set that not all coaches have to gut and builda program.

It's also not like he's trying to turn around Lincoln. UCO has the resources, and a good history, although pretty far removed. I think it's a really good situation for him.

Comment

There have been several coaches step into teams loaded with talent that didn't achieve what they could/should have. Even if he stepped into a great situation with a loaded roster you still have to get the kids to buy in and play for you. If you win a National Championship in anything you are doing something the right way. As far as his time at ACU, he was in a really tough situation. That is a tough place to recruit because of the academic requirements and not to mention some of the pressure being put on him by their biggest booster to play their very average son at QB!! He stepped into his current job and took over a roster that is not anywhere close to what he will get it to and just beat the #2 team in the country in his 4th ball game here. He will get UCO back to contending for conference championships and a national contender!

Comment

That's true as far as a culture and inheriting a team with talent, but the circumstances weren't ideal. The only reason he got the position was that Scott Bostwick passed away that summer before he ever got a chance to be the HC. His first 2 years as the head coach were mediocre by NW standards... 11-3, 10-3 without a conference title. Year 3 was when it really took off. There were some growing pains and some doubts when he first took the wheel for sure.

To your point though, building the culture is something he has yet to prove. I'm with PP though, I think it's a pretty good situation for him to do so at UCO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Billy_Broncho View Post

That is a tough place to recruit because of the academic requirements and not to mention some of the pressure being put on him by their biggest booster to play their very average son at QB!!
                              i heard that too but i didn't know if it was real. didn't know much about ACU at all outside of them moving up to FCS.
                              i did read they were in a huge bind trying to recruit D1 kids to Abilene against the likes of the big D1s. once you remove all of the top texas schools and OU and OSU then pile on with the academics, not a huge pool to choose from.

i also noticed that last years starter as a redshirt is not only NOT calling plays but he's not even on the roster.
                              6 of his 7 starts shows him at 75% of lower passer rating and 4 ints. last 2 games of the year he didn't take a snap.

this years team (with his players) are 3-1 and with a different starter under center. not that missou is a power houses in the SEC right now but they scored 17 points AT missou two weeks ago. only lost that game 34-17 to an SEC school at their house. with ADs players and without last years staring QB. does that mean anything? don't know. if its true about the QB, id hate to work for a boss that wouldn't stand behind you with personnel decisions and keeping donors off your back.
                              if you remember his speech when he got here at UCO, he said something to the affect that it was refreshing to have a AD that was fully behind winning and standing behind the coaching staff and assuring everything that was needed would be there. there seems to be a message there. maybe to those in power at ACU.
                              Last edited by jimbo slice; 09-30-2022, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post

i heard that too but i didn't know if it was real. didn't know much about ACU at all outside of them moving up to FCS.
                                i did read they were in a huge bind trying to recruit D1 kids to Abilene against the likes of the big D1s. once you remove all of the top texas schools and OU and OSU then pile on with the academics, not a huge pool to choose from.

i also noticed that last years starter as a redshirt is not only NOT calling plays but he's not even on the roster.
                                6 of his 7 starts shows him at 75% of lower passer rating and 4 ints. last 2 games of the year he didn't take a snap.

this years team (with his players) are 3-1 and with a different starter under center. not that missou is a power houses in the SEC right now but they scored 17 points AT missou two weeks ago. only lost that game 34-17 to an SEC school at their house. with ADs players and without last years staring QB. does that mean anything? don't know. if its true about the QB, id hate to work for a boss that wouldn't stand behind you with personnel decisions and keeping donors off your back.
                                if you remember his speech when he got here at UCO, he said something to the affect that it was refreshing to have a AD that was fully behind winning and standing behind the coaching staff and assuring everything that was needed would be there. there seems to be a message there. maybe to those in power at ACU.
                                I was told this by someone that would for sure know and not have any reason to lie. From my understanding it had gotten so bad that when AD made the decision to play the other QB they had almost already lost the locker room because the players were so pissed that the booster's kid was still playing. Just a terrible situation to be put in as a head coach! You can sometimes tell when coaches are just giving the canned coach speak or when they are genuine and trying to build a culture. I think AD is the latter and he truly cares about his student/athletes and will end up building a monster in Edmond! IMO

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X