• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenman
    replied
    Originally posted by GoCatsGo5 View Post

As you stated, apples and oranges.
    Right, a ridiculous comparison. And successful may not have been the right word. Consistent might be a better one considering he hasn't reached the same level of success he achieved while partnered with A.D.

Leave a comment:

• GoCatsGo5
    replied
    Originally posted by Greenman View Post

exactly. both were far more successful together, than either has been apart. i have often thought dorrel got a lot of credit for his record that deservedly went to the defense. and different circumstances obviously, but one could argue that rich has been the more successful of the two since the split...
    As you stated, apples and oranges.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied
    In my ideal world, AD and RW would have been co-head coaches for life at NW, but obviously, that’s not realistic…sigh, reality sucks :-(
    exactly. both were far more successful together, than either has been apart. i have often thought dorrel got a lot of credit for his record that deservedly went to the defense. and different circumstances obviously, but one could argue that rich has been the more successful of the two since the split...

Leave a comment:

• NW Normal
    replied
    Hohensee tackling UCO's Slater who returned the errant snap to the 11 yard line.

Leave a comment:

• NW Normal
    replied
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ri...-no?authuser=0

Link to jpeg of Wright being sacked at UCO. NW is going to be hard pressed to get their QB's healthy.

Leave a comment:

• ZubCat81
    replied
    Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
    Ditto that
    what a combination!
    Yeppers ... without each other those 3 NC's under AD's belt probably doesn't happen. What would Mel have done without a Scott Bostwick?

Leave a comment:

• NWFanatic
    replied
    In my ideal world, AD and RW would have been co-head coaches for life at NW, but obviously, that’s not realistic…sigh, reality sucks :-(
    Ditto that
    what a combination!

Leave a comment:

• GoCatsGo5
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jimbo slice
    replied
    Originally posted by Billy_Broncho View Post

I was told this by someone that would for sure know and not have any reason to lie. From my understanding it had gotten so bad that when AD made the decision to play the other QB they had almost already lost the locker room because the players were so pissed that the booster's kid was still playing. Just a terrible situation to be put in as a head coach! You can sometimes tell when coaches are just giving the canned coach speak or when they are genuine and trying to build a culture. I think AD is the latter and he truly cares about his student/athletes and will end up building a monster in Edmond! IMO
    in my few interactions with him, i get the same feeling.

Leave a comment:

• Billy_Broncho
    replied
    Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post

i heard that too but i didn't know if it was real. didn't know much about ACU at all outside of them moving up to FCS.
    i did read they were in a huge bind trying to recruit D1 kids to Abilene against the likes of the big D1s. once you remove all of the top texas schools and OU and OSU then pile on with the academics, not a huge pool to choose from.

i also noticed that last years starter as a redshirt is not only NOT calling plays but he's not even on the roster.
    6 of his 7 starts shows him at 75% of lower passer rating and 4 ints. last 2 games of the year he didn't take a snap.

this years team (with his players) are 3-1 and with a different starter under center. not that missou is a power houses in the SEC right now but they scored 17 points AT missou two weeks ago. only lost that game 34-17 to an SEC school at their house. with ADs players and without last years staring QB. does that mean anything? don't know. if its true about the QB, id hate to work for a boss that wouldn't stand behind you with personnel decisions and keeping donors off your back.
    if you remember his speech when he got here at UCO, he said something to the affect that it was refreshing to have a AD that was fully behind winning and standing behind the coaching staff and assuring everything that was needed would be there. there seems to be a message there. maybe to those in power at ACU.
    I was told this by someone that would for sure know and not have any reason to lie. From my understanding it had gotten so bad that when AD made the decision to play the other QB they had almost already lost the locker room because the players were so pissed that the booster's kid was still playing. Just a terrible situation to be put in as a head coach! You can sometimes tell when coaches are just giving the canned coach speak or when they are genuine and trying to build a culture. I think AD is the latter and he truly cares about his student/athletes and will end up building a monster in Edmond! IMO

Leave a comment:

• jimbo slice
    replied
    Originally posted by Billy_Broncho View Post

That is a tough place to recruit because of the academic requirements and not to mention some of the pressure being put on him by their biggest booster to play their very average son at QB!!
    i heard that too but i didn't know if it was real. didn't know much about ACU at all outside of them moving up to FCS.
    i did read they were in a huge bind trying to recruit D1 kids to Abilene against the likes of the big D1s. once you remove all of the top texas schools and OU and OSU then pile on with the academics, not a huge pool to choose from.

i also noticed that last years starter as a redshirt is not only NOT calling plays but he's not even on the roster.
    6 of his 7 starts shows him at 75% of lower passer rating and 4 ints. last 2 games of the year he didn't take a snap.

this years team (with his players) are 3-1 and with a different starter under center. not that missou is a power houses in the SEC right now but they scored 17 points AT missou two weeks ago. only lost that game 34-17 to an SEC school at their house. with ADs players and without last years staring QB. does that mean anything? don't know. if its true about the QB, id hate to work for a boss that wouldn't stand behind you with personnel decisions and keeping donors off your back.
    if you remember his speech when he got here at UCO, he said something to the affect that it was refreshing to have a AD that was fully behind winning and standing behind the coaching staff and assuring everything that was needed would be there. there seems to be a message there. maybe to those in power at ACU.
    Last edited by jimbo slice; 09-30-2022, 08:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Alfred33
    replied
    Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post

He started in the best position a coach could find themself in at NW. His talent on defense when he was HC was insane. Yeah he was a bust at FCS. I've intrigued how well he can build a culture
    That's true as far as a culture and inheriting a team with talent, but the circumstances weren't ideal. The only reason he got the position was that Scott Bostwick passed away that summer before he ever got a chance to be the HC. His first 2 years as the head coach were mediocre by NW standards... 11-3, 10-3 without a conference title. Year 3 was when it really took off. There were some growing pains and some doubts when he first took the wheel for sure.

To your point though, building the culture is something he has yet to prove. I'm with PP though, I think it's a pretty good situation for him to do so at UCO.

Leave a comment:

• Billy_Broncho
    replied

He started in the best position a coach could find themself in at NW. His talent on defense when he was HC was insane. Yeah he was a bust at FCS. I've intrigued how well he can build a culture
    There have been several coaches step into teams loaded with talent that didn't achieve what they could/should have. Even if he stepped into a great situation with a loaded roster you still have to get the kids to buy in and play for you. If you win a National Championship in anything you are doing something the right way. As far as his time at ACU, he was in a really tough situation. That is a tough place to recruit because of the academic requirements and not to mention some of the pressure being put on him by their biggest booster to play their very average son at QB!! He stepped into his current job and took over a roster that is not anywhere close to what he will get it to and just beat the #2 team in the country in his 4th ball game here. He will get UCO back to contending for conference championships and a national contender!

Leave a comment:

• Predatory Primates
    replied

Yeah. I almost think it takes a certain skill set that not all coaches have to gut and builda program.

It's also not like he's trying to turn around Lincoln. UCO has the resources, and a good history, although pretty far removed. I think it's a really good situation for him.

Leave a comment:

• HookemHerd
    replied
    Originally posted by UNALions View Post

He likely should have never left. He wasn't a good FCS coach which is why he's back in D2.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X