Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgot to post this earlier this week.

Loper Talk Episode 11 - UNK Football Wins on Senior Day - https://post.futurimedia.com/kgfwam/...sten-8578.html

Also, this week's preview is out.

Game 11 Preview: Final 2023 Ride Comes in Maryville - https://lopers.com/news/2023/11/10/f...maryville.aspx

Comment

Held’s play calling and coaching is almost as lazy as his hire itself! Hopefully he can right the ship quickly by practicing his DDT mantra and maybe talking to some of the players that helped build the culture over the past few years. Lopes Up!

Comment

Northwest Feasts on Turnovers to Take Finale - https://lopers.com/news/2023/11/11/f...ke-finale.aspx

That's a wrap for 2023, and it ended with a massive thud. I don't think anyone expected UNK to win this game, but I for one was hoping they could show some heart, compete well and keep it a game into the second half at least. Instead Loper fans were "treated" to:
        • The most points allowed all season
        • The most lopsided loss of the season
        • A season-high 7 turnovers, including a fumble on the opening kickoff and the third pick-6 of the season
        • 10 penalties for 106 yards
        Not #DDT at all (Disciplined, Detailed, Tough was the team's motto this season)

The 3-8 season is UNK's worst since 2017 (Josh Lynn's first season). Three of the Lopers' four head coaches in the MIAA era have gone 3-8 in their first season in the conference. Josh Lamberson was 0-11 in his first season in 2015.

Ryan Held is now 55-85 as a head coach in 14 seasons, including a 33-55 mark at the D2 level.

Comment

I try to avoid the temptation to wish to see a coach fail, but I will have a difficult time ever being much of a Ryan Held fan after they managed to ruin one of the best and most enjoyable to watch athletes of D2 in TJ Davis. That kid deserved so much better.

Comment

Even the NW announcers were talking about how well TJ ran the option. He should’ve transferred to Harding

Comment

Originally posted by SEC_OF_D2 View Post
              I try to avoid the temptation to wish to see a coach fail, but I will have a difficult time ever being much of a Ryan Held fan after they managed to ruin one of the best and most enjoyable to watch athletes of D2 in TJ Davis. That kid deserved so much better.
              I'm sure he's already used up a lot of the good will fans had when he came in. To misuse your best player is one thing, but to also have it cause such a drastic shift in the win-loss column is another.

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                Even the NW announcers were talking about how well TJ ran the option. He should’ve transferred to Harding
                He definitely had a rough end to his career, but I think his loyalty to UNK makes him that much more legendary. He's always been unselfish and a team first guy. I applaud him for sticking around and finishing as a Loper even though he had to consider the chance that a new coaching staff might mean things wouldn't go smoothly.

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                  Or gone to WT with Lynn.

Comment

I beg Held to either step down or really listen to the players that helped build the culture in Kearney and know what the Loper means on the helmet. This year has been an absolute mess! I don’t need to hear how hard it is to win in the conference or lies about experience you had coming back.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Or gone to WT with Lynn.
                      Might have been best for everyone. Lynn only went 3-7 down there this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Magic Man View Post

Might have been best for everyone. Lynn only went 3-7 down there this year.
                        Lynn also lost his OC in Thatcher (left for Army) which might have also dealt a bit into it as well.

Comment

How did UNK get stuck with this bum? Took a look at his coaching history and didn’t really see anything jump out that would suggest that he would be successful. Was the applicant pool so bad that Held stood out from the rest? It’s only year one of this new regime in Kearney, but it appears that the Lopers significantly underachieved with TJ Davis still on the roster. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by GetGRIFFedUp View Post
                            How did UNK get stuck with this bum? Took a look at his coaching history and didn’t really see anything jump out that would suggest that he would be successful. Was the applicant pool so bad that Held stood out from the rest? It’s only year one of this new regime in Kearney, but it appears that the Lopers significantly underachieved with TJ Davis still on the roster. Am I missing something?
                            I think a few things came into play. He said this a few times when asked about his coaching history, and I won't totally disagree with him, that the places he's been a head coach at in the past have not been historically successful programs. His overall record isn't good, but he's actually done respectable when you consider how bad those programs have been at times. I think it's perhaps an attempt to find another Josh Lynn... someone who can find a way to exceed expectations, even if those expectations are pretty low.

You also have his Nebraska ties, having been a head coach at Peru State and assistant at Nebraska. Plus he's from the Kansas City area and done a lot of coaching in the region.

Lastly, our AD said he was recommended by the Pitt AD who considered him when they last had an opening, along with the former Missouri Western AD who is now at North Alabama where Held was OC/Interim Head Coach.

I'm not ready to say he's a failure already, but his decision making this season wasn't encouraging. He's going to need to redeem himself next year to earn back some good will.

Comment

Loper Talk Episode 12 - Football Wraps Season in Loss - https://post.futurimedia.com/kgfwam/...sten-8638.html

Comment

Originally posted by loper legionnaire View Post

I think a few things came into play. He said this a few times when asked about his coaching history, and I won't totally disagree with him, that the places he's been a head coach at in the past have not been historically successful programs. His overall record isn't good, but he's actually done respectable when you consider how bad those programs have been at times. I think it's perhaps an attempt to find another Josh Lynn... someone who can find a way to exceed expectations, even if those expectations are pretty low.

You also have his Nebraska ties, having been a head coach at Peru State and assistant at Nebraska. Plus he's from the Kansas City area and done a lot of coaching in the region.

Lastly, our AD said he was recommended by the Pitt AD who considered him when they last had an opening, along with the former Missouri Western AD who is now at North Alabama where Held was OC/Interim Head Coach.

I'm not ready to say he's a failure already, but his decision making this season wasn't encouraging. He's going to need to redeem himself next year to earn back some good will.
                                our plan worked!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X