Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIAA - Bowl Games

I need a better understanding of Bowl Games - what Bowl Games does the MIAA receive offers to? I believe there are a few bowls that have a spot for MIAA.

Assuming the MIAA gets (2) teams in the playoffs:

1. Where would NW be in the Bowl Game Pecking Order?
    2. Does NW accept a Bowl Game bid if selected?

I think it is just the Heritage Bowl in Corsicana, TX(formally the corsicana bowl). or the Texarkana Bowl, In Texarkana, AR (live united bowl). We are at-large selections to both. There is supposedly going to be a new one this year, but who knows if it actually happens, the Florida Beach Bowl in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. This is at-large only, apparently.

Comment

I think the Bearcats should accept an offer to play in a bowl game if one materializes

Comment

Texarkana Bowl tends to pick an MIAA team while the Corsicana focuses on the GAC and Lone Star. Not sure about the Florida one; assume they would want local teams.

And expect to "pay to play" but that's not a problem for Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
          I think the Bearcats should accept an offer to play in a bowl game if one materializes
          Years ago we had an offer to play in a bowl game and didn't accept because at 6-5 (ok it wasn't that bad) but Beck was convinced we were going to make the playoffs so he supposedly turned down a bowl game invite. If the coaching staff uses those weeks to work the younger kids in and then play them in the game at least to some extent I think its worth it to go to a bowl game. However, it's been my experience that coaches can't help themselves and will play the regular starters and give them those practice reps so the extra 2-3 weeks of practice doesn't really help that much.

We also turned down a bowl game in 2021 which was Wrights full first year. If my memory serves me correctly and the story is true, he left it up to a team vote. Wright and staff had been instilling in these young men over the previous 2 years that Pitt plays for championships MIAA and NC's and to get to the NC you have to go to the playoffs. The team voted against the bowl game. Most of the fans were against the choice but the thought process and culture that has permeated Pitt football since can't be argued.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallst View Post

Years ago we had an offer to play in a bowl game and didn't accept because at 6-5 (ok it wasn't that bad) but Beck was convinced we were going to make the playoffs so he supposedly turned down a bowl game invite. If the coaching staff uses those weeks to work the younger kids in and then play them in the game at least to some extent I think its worth it to go to a bowl game. However, it's been my experience that coaches can't help themselves and will play the regular starters and give them those practice reps so the extra 2-3 weeks of practice doesn't really help that much.

We also turned down a bowl game in 2021 which was Wrights full first year. If my memory serves me correctly and the story is true, he left it up to a team vote. Wright and staff had been instilling in these young men over the previous 2 years that Pitt plays for championships MIAA and NC's and to get to the NC you have to go to the playoffs. The team voted against the bowl game. Most of the fans were against the choice but the thought process and culture that has permeated Pitt football since can't be argued.
            I can’t say for certain and you’d have to talk to Brown and others from the staff directly but I have to wonder if the declining of the bowl in 2019 with subsequent COVID year caused a lot of our turmoil seen in 21-22

also think the bowl games in 2015-2016 paid major dividends. For the two playoff bids we had. But we’re in a totally different place from a history perspective compared to Pitt

Comment

I think I read in another thread that the Florida Beach Bowl is likely two HBCUs.

Comment

I do miss the Mineral Water Bowl.
                I wish there were more D2 bowl games. I think any tv coverage that could come of that would be beneficial for the division as a whole. Any national tv coverage is good for the division honestly. I don't know the numbers but it's my understanding the D2 HBCU games are drawing pretty good on TV every week. The Grio and whatever the other network is showing them has been doing well in the process.
                Who knows? Maybe getting more overall TV time for D2 could lead to more in the future and ultimately more bowl games in the process.

As a side note I always thought it would be fun to have a game between the 2 statistically worst teams every year.

Comment

Originally posted by psugorilla View Post
                  I wish there were more D2 bowl games. I think any tv coverage that could come of that would be beneficial for the division as a whole. Any national tv coverage is good for the division honestly. I don't know the numbers but it's my understanding the D2 HBCU games are drawing pretty good on TV every week. The Grio and whatever the other network is showing them has been doing well in the process.
                  Who knows? Maybe getting more overall TV time for D2 could lead to more in the future and ultimately more bowl games in the process.

As a side note I always thought it would be fun to have a game between the 2 statistically worst teams every year.
                  Lincoln v UCO or NSU would be entertaining

Comment

Originally posted by psugorilla View Post

The best thing for D2 football exposure would be a Netflix series a la Last Chance U.

Would much rather see that sort of coverage for a school like GVSU, Ferris, Pitt, NW etc. Pair a big historically good school with an up and coming program and it could be a hit.

People would connect more with the players and coaches at this level rather than laughing at the ridiculousness that was Independence Juco.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHustle View Post

The best thing for D2 football exposure would be a Netflix series a la Last Chance U.

Would much rather see that sort of coverage for a school like GVSU, Ferris, Pitt, NW etc. Pair a big historically good school with an up and coming program and it could be a hit.

People would connect more with the players and coaches at this level rather than laughing at the ridiculousness that was Independence Juco.
                      It seems like people mainly watch those so they can look down on and make fun of those being filmed.

D2 doesn't need that kind if press, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

It seems like people mainly watch those so they can look down on and make fun of those being filmed.

those shows buy big time into the whole "no such thing as bad press" shtick...

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

That is exactly my point though. A lot harder to look down on things when given the right perspective.

Should be marketed as the antithesis of Last Chance U and current trends in college football. All the money in D1 is not sustainable IMO. Everyone is happy that college athletes can participate in a free market now but I think the fatigue is already setting in.

Only way they can make it look bad is if they interview some of the people on here....

Comment

Just for clarification, The Farmer's Bank and Trust Live United Bowl no longer picks at-large teams from the Lone Star Conference. The bowl has an agreement for an MIAA team to play a GAC team. In addition, the Farmer's Bank and Trust Live United Bowl assists with the expenses of participating teams by providing 1 night hotel for all team personnel and 3 meals during the team's stay. All team personnel (players, coaches, administrators ) are provided with 2 tickets to the game. One of the meals is the Jeans, Boots, and Barbeque banquet held Friday night. Bands and cheer squads also receive financial assistance to attend and participate. Teams are responsible for transportation, additional nights in a hotel, and additional meals. We look to provide a D-I type bowl atmosphere for players, coaches, parents, and fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Live United Bowl View Post
                              Just for clarification, The Farmer's Bank and Trust Live United Bowl no longer picks at-large teams from the Lone Star Conference. The bowl has an agreement for an MIAA team to play a GAC team. In addition, the Farmer's Bank and Trust Live United Bowl assists with the expenses of participating teams by providing 1 night hotel for all team personnel and 3 meals during the team's stay. All team personnel (players, coaches, administrators ) are provided with 2 tickets to the game. One of the meals is the Jeans, Boots, and Barbeque banquet held Friday night. Bands and cheer squads also receive financial assistance to attend and participate. Teams are responsible for transportation, additional nights in a hotel, and additional meals. We look to provide a D-I type bowl atmosphere for players, coaches, parents, and fans.
                              I love to see a bowl representative here participating! Good clarification.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X