Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Committing too soon?

I understand that high school athletes can have difficult decisions to make. When they are getting most of their college offers so late, time is limited to make a decision before a good offer may expire because the college filled that position. But two athletes committed to GNAC schools were just offered by D1 programs.

CWU's Darius Kubalanza just received an offer from Oregon State
    https://twitter.com/DKubalanza_13/st...94755703861249

SFU's prized 6'7" OL commit Jacob Dimond just got an offer from Idaho State
    https://twitter.com/DimondJake/statu...70992932786176
    Hopefully Bailey Elder (who held 20 D1 offers) can persuade him to pass up that offer

This small college coach worded it perfectly: https://twitter.com/Clydelogan21/sta...84351998222336

As for Darius, he now has a Pac-12 offer but is already committed to CWU. I know commitments are unofficial and not binding, but athletes really need to understand what "committed" means and be 100% when they make commitments. Be a man and stick to your word. Sorry, Beavers and Bengals, but you are too late!

Re: Committing too soon?

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
    I understand that high school athletes can have difficult decisions to make. When they are getting most of their college offers so late, time is limited to make a decision before a good offer may expire because the college filled that position. But two athletes committed to GNAC schools were just offered by D1 programs.

Hopefully Bailey Elder (who held 20 D1 offers) can persuade him to pass up that offer

This small college coach worded it perfectly: https://twitter.com/Clydelogan21/sta...84351998222336

As for Darius, he now has a Pac-12 offer but is already committed to CWU. I know commitments are unofficial and not binding, but athletes really need to understand what "committed" means and be 100% when they make commitments. Be a man and stick to your word. Sorry, Beavers and Bengals, but you are too late!
    CWU Crimson Committed
    ?

@CWUWildcatNtn
    7m7 minutes ago
    More
    Replying to @Clydelogan21
    I am about to get married! But this chick who has a crush on me wants me to marry her instead. hmmm

Egg Zachary!

I know some folks in the OSU circles. While it is good that kids get all kinds of offers, when you commit, you are saying "I am coming to XYZ to play ball".

My guess is that things are not working out for OSU as far as they have offered, so they are circling back.

Comment

I just feel like kids getting D1 offers this late must be toward the bottom of the lists of those D1 teams.

Comment

Well, SFU, a D2 school in a large cosmopolitan city, or Idaho State, a FCS school in Podunk, ID. I'd probably go with SFU.

Comment

Yeah I would also go with SFU over that piece of crap stadium at ISU. Dimond said in his commitment post that he valued the academics at SFU and I am sure he wants to play with Elder and make a lethal o-line. As for the CWU kid, we shall see. OSU is much more tempting.

Comment

The commitment is not always the fault of the kids. Let's say you are a linebacker being recruited by the GNAC schools. Central offers you $9,500 per year but they are only going to sign four linebackers this year and once they get to four, your offer is off the table. So you commit, knowing even as a Washington resident you will still have to come up with $12,982 a year for a total of $64,910 in five years. After all, you don't want to miss out because WOU only offered you $4,500.

But a week after you committed, Idaho State lost two linebackers at the last minute to Sac State and UC Davis. Now, they come back to you and offer you a full ride. Not only will you not owe $65,000 after you graduate, you'll get to fly to a few games, you'll get to eat at their training table, and you'll get to experience a few of the other benefits of a D1 budget.

What would you do?

These really late offers are a result of the early signing period. D1 teams can double back when their classes didn't turn out exactly as expected.

Comment

Yeah I would also go with SFU over that piece of crap stadium at ISU. Dimond said in his commitment post that he valued the academics at SFU and I am sure he wants to play with Elder and make a lethal o-line. As for the CWU kid, we shall see. OSU is much more tempting.
              Took the words out of my mouth as did Iron Ore. SFU would be a much better place to be. Pocatello sucks; Vancouver rocks. ISU head coach is getting in trouble for player abuse; SFU head coach Ford is a people person. SFU is improving; ISU is historically one of the worst FCS programs in the country. ISU is a middling academic school; SFU is highly regarded. In a normal world this is a no-brainer, but kids get all worried about alphabet soup, D-1 vs. FCS vs. D2 vs. D3 vs. NAIA, etc.

If he's smart, he keeps that SFU commitment ... oh yeah, right on that crap show of a stadium at ISU. SFU checks off all the boxes here, ISU does not.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                The commitment is not always the fault of the kids. Let's say you are a linebacker being recruited by the GNAC schools. Central offers you $9,500 per year but they are only going to sign four linebackers this year and once they get to four, your offer is off the table. So you commit, knowing even as a Washington resident you will still have to come up with $12,982 a year for a total of $64,910 in five years. After all, you don't want to miss out because WOU only offered you $4,500.

But a week after you committed, Idaho State lost two linebackers at the last minute to Sac State and UC Davis. Now, they come back to you and offer you a full ride. Not only will you not owe $65,000 after you graduate, you'll get to fly to a few games, you'll get to eat at their training table, and you'll get to experience a few of the other benefits of a D1 budget.

What would you do?

These really late offers are a result of the early signing period. D1 teams can double back when their classes didn't turn out exactly as expected.
                Nice post, Brandon.

The cycle and dance is what leads to these things happening. Maybe I am too "old school". I don't like it one bit, but that is how the game works. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I think it is crappy for OSU and ISU to circle back and offer to a kid that has committed. For me, that doesn't say much for their program.

Comment

Kids face a ton of pressure in the recruiting deal. A kid wants to play college sports, wants to get a scholarship, and as a sophomore or junior, he or she gets a great offer from perhaps a lower tier school. The school says something like "we are going to offer you this and you don't have to accept right now, but until you do, we will keep recruiting for your position and once that spot is taken, we can't offer you any more."

Most kids stick with their verbals, but obviously things can change in a year or two, and a player's stock really soars. Maybe they've gotten better, faster, stronger. Maybe they grew two more inches which suddenly landed them in the D1 algorithms. I don't begrudge a kid for re-thinking things in that instance.

And a verbal is only that. All programs continue to recruit verbals, because they know kids are going to flip FROM their program, and TO their program. Part of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
                    Kids face a ton of pressure in the recruiting deal. A kid wants to play college sports, wants to get a scholarship, and as a sophomore or junior, he or she gets a great offer from perhaps a lower tier school. The school says something like "we are going to offer you this and you don't have to accept right now, but until you do, we will keep recruiting for your position and once that spot is taken, we can't offer you any more."

Most kids stick with their verbals, but obviously things can change in a year or two, and a player's stock really soars. Maybe they've gotten better, faster, stronger. Maybe they grew two more inches which suddenly landed them in the D1 algorithms. I don't begrudge a kid for re-thinking things in that instance.

And a verbal is only that. All programs continue to recruit verbals, because they know kids are going to flip FROM their program, and TO their program. Part of the game.
                    I know this is football, but if people knew what happens in D1 baseball they wouldn't begrudge a kid backing out of a verbal.

There are some kids that show up at D1 schools only to find out that their scholarship has been pulled.

Comment

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
                          Agreed.
                          It's a new world of collegiate sports, the player free agency world. I've come to accept it, especially when the Brad Underwoods of the world can take an Oklahoma State job one year and leave a year or two for Illinois, without having to sit out. I know there's upwards of 1,000 D-1 basketball players who transfer each year in men's hoop and 40% of men's college players transfer at one time or another, but that's where we're at.

Football is different as most players redshirt, but I don't blame them based on how much money they can get. (I'd still rather get less aid and play for Simon Fraser than go to awful Pocatello, Idaho, and play for that horrific ISU program, but that's just me, I guess.)

Football is the toughest practice sport, if you're 2/3 years into it and really want to play, don't blame them leaving. QB's especially have it rough, only one slot for them. I'd rather play than clap.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                            It's a new world of collegiate sports, the player free agency world. I've come to accept it, especially when the Brad Underwoods of the world can take an Oklahoma State job one year and leave a year or two for Illinois, without having to sit out. I know there's upwards of 1,000 D-1 basketball players who transfer each year in men's hoop and 40% of men's college players transfer at one time or another, but that's where we're at.

Football is different as most players redshirt, but I don't blame them based on how much money they can get. (I'd still rather get less aid and play for Simon Fraser than go to awful Pocatello, Idaho, and play for that horrific ISU program, but that's just me, I guess.)

Football is the toughest practice sport, if you're 2/3 years into it and really want to play, don't blame them leaving. QB's especially have it rough, only one slot for them. I'd rather play than clap.
                            When loyalty doesn't go both ways then it shouldn't be expected to go one way.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
                              When loyalty doesn't go both ways then it shouldn't be expected to go one way.
                              Yep, agree Turboniuim. Coaches have been free agents forever. Gone are the days of redshirt, play four years, even if you barely get to play 4 years. I don't blame kids and yes, it's a burden on coaches to have to re-stock rosters, but that's why they pay them, right? Took me awhile to accept it, but I have. Football isn't nearly the transfer sport that basketball is, not sure why. Many football players will hang in there for 5 years without much playing time. Props to them, but that's a grind.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X