X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runnin' Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

Well, Hermiston did have a MLB player and Brian Habib was from Ellensburg and made the NFL. I don't see them with a lot of D1 talent, but possibly some D2 talent. I remember though that WSU put a linebacker into the NFL from an 8-man football team into the NFL.

I don't think it is a hotbed, but it seems like many places don't even look at it all for a gem in the rough type player. It feels to me like they would rather go to a small town on the I-5 corridor for a player than a medium sized town on the other side of state. I bet the same would be true of the Bend/Redmond kids for the colleges in Oregon just like Yakima/Tri-Cities/Spokane for the Washington schools.

I only brought up Hermiston to Tim though for those people as it is only about 30 minutes out of the Tri-Cities despite not being officially in the metro area like Prosser officially is. Speaking of Prosser, the Dallas Offensive Coordinator is from there.
    It is simple economics. For every Kellen Moore, there are going to be ten kids in the PS. For Every Habib, there are going to be tend kids from the PS. It is "cheaper" to highlight your recruiting in the larger population areas. You are not going to heavily spend in a smaller on a consistent basis. Yes, those smaller areas will have exceptions. But how many D1 talents are coming up in the Kittitas Valley? There has been more D1 talent from one family in the Snoqualmie Valley than has been produced in Ellensburg.

Population is the key. Casey Fitzsimmons played for six years in the NFL. He is from Chester, MT and played 8 man football. Would you think it wise to start recruiting Chester?

Leave a comment:

• Wildcat Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

Hermiston is about the same population as Ellensburg. It is hard to imagine it being some untapped recruiting hot bed.

The "Dry ****ties" population is just around 250M. CWU and EWU have five or fewer TC kids on their rosters. I didn't check UW or WSU. There just is not a significant amount of talent there because it is a smaller population area. Compare it to the Spokane metro area (580M) and the greater Puget Sound area (4.3MM) and you can see why those areas produce a lot more football talent.

Adding in Hermiston is like pissing in the ocean to try and reduce the salinity.
    Well, Hermiston did have a MLB player and Brian Habib was from Ellensburg and made the NFL. I don't see them with a lot of D1 talent, but possibly some D2 talent. I remember though that WSU put a linebacker into the NFL from an 8-man football team into the NFL.

I don't think it is a hotbed, but it seems like many places don't even look at it all for a gem in the rough type player. It feels to me like they would rather go to a small town on the I-5 corridor for a player than a medium sized town on the other side of state. I bet the same would be true of the Bend/Redmond kids for the colleges in Oregon just like Yakima/Tri-Cities/Spokane for the Washington schools.

I only brought up Hermiston to Tim though for those people as it is only about 30 minutes out of the Tri-Cities despite not being officially in the metro area like Prosser officially is. Speaking of Prosser, the Dallas Offensive Coordinator is from there.

Leave a comment:

• Runnin' Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

While the Tri-Cities does get some good players, I think more of the success is likely due to coaches like at Richland and those people should see how few Tri-Cities players are at CWU, EWU, WSU, and UW. Now though, does recruiting Tri-Cities also include recruiting Hermiston as it is a WIAA school in the Mid-Columbia Conference? If so, Hermiston did win an Oregon 5A title its last year in Oregon and could be an untapped area in state.
    Hermiston is about the same population as Ellensburg. It is hard to imagine it being some untapped recruiting hot bed.

The "Dry ****ties" population is just around 250M. CWU and EWU have five or fewer TC kids on their rosters. I didn't check UW or WSU. There just is not a significant amount of talent there because it is a smaller population area. Compare it to the Spokane metro area (580M) and the greater Puget Sound area (4.3MM) and you can see why those areas produce a lot more football talent.

Adding in Hermiston is like pissing in the ocean to try and reduce the salinity.

Leave a comment:

• Wildcat Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by tsull View Post
    Totally agree and I wouldn't waste any time on that kid.

Different scenario but I remember many years ago when Blaine Bennett was the head coach of Western Oregon, and they had a post game function with coaches and fans. I went to it and one of his assistants told me that they needed to quit recruiting Oregon and get into the Tri-Cities because that's where the players were. Western probably had about seven scholarships at the time and they want to spend it on guys from the Tri-Cities and out-of-state money? I thought the coach was nuts ... and he was, he's no longer there.

They took a running back from Prosser and apparently he smoked so much weed he never got to campus. Great find.

Western Oregon has had two NFL guys in the last decade or more they are from Philomath, Oregon, and Turner, Oregon. The next best players in the last 20 years are from Scappoose, Oregon, and Veneta, Oregon; also two great defensive linemen were from North Salem High School and Burns, Oregon.. I'm seeing a pattern here.
    While the Tri-Cities does get some good players, I think more of the success is likely due to coaches like at Richland and those people should see how few Tri-Cities players are at CWU, EWU, WSU, and UW. Now though, does recruiting Tri-Cities also include recruiting Hermiston as it is a WIAA school in the Mid-Columbia Conference? If so, Hermiston did win an Oregon 5A title its last year in Oregon and could be an untapped area in state.

Leave a comment:

• tsull
    replied
    Totally agree and I wouldn't waste any time on that kid.

Different scenario but I remember many years ago when Blaine Bennett was the head coach of Western Oregon, and they had a post game function with coaches and fans. I went to it and one of his assistants told me that they needed to quit recruiting Oregon and get into the Tri-Cities because that's where the players were. Western probably had about seven scholarships at the time and they want to spend it on guys from the Tri-Cities and out-of-state money? I thought the coach was nuts ... and he was, he's no longer there.

They took a running back from Prosser and apparently he smoked so much weed he never got to campus. Great find.

Western Oregon has had two NFL guys in the last decade or more they are from Philomath, Oregon, and Turner, Oregon. The next best players in the last 20 years are from Scappoose, Oregon, and Veneta, Oregon; also two great defensive linemen were from North Salem High School and Burns, Oregon.. I'm seeing a pattern here.

Leave a comment:

• CWU Wildcat Nation
    replied
    I just don't want to see a LaVar Ball wannabe in Ellensburg. From what I googled, reminds me of daddy LaVar promoting his sons Lonzo and LeMelo

Leave a comment:

• tsull
    replied
    Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
    Didn't see this coming. But CWU Football just offered Deondre Feagins, a sophomore at Bob Jones HS in Huntsville, Alabama. He didn't even play this season as he was recovering from a foot injury. He has never played varsity football yet. Look up the name on Google and some interesting stuff comes up, including podcast interviews with his dad, who is apparently a trainer/hip-hop singer/publicist, etc. I can't really know too much more on this kid until I see some game film next year.

https://twitter.com/DeondreFeagins
    Waste of time, money, and energy. Offer the up and coming sophomore at Richland, Washington, high school, you'll get him to Ellensburg and more production out of him. Coaches out-think themselves.

Leave a comment:

• CWU Wildcat Nation
    started a topic CWU Offers Sophomore from...Alabama?

CWU Offers Sophomore from...Alabama?

Didn't see this coming. But CWU Football just offered Deondre Feagins, a sophomore at Bob Jones HS in Huntsville, Alabama. He didn't even play this season as he was recovering from a foot injury. He has never played varsity football yet. Look up the name on Google and some interesting stuff comes up, including podcast interviews with his dad, who is apparently a trainer/hip-hop singer/publicist, etc. I can't really know too much more on this kid until I see some game film next year.

https://twitter.com/DeondreFeagins

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X