Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of the LSC, if they lose teams to the WAC in FCS like WT, ASU and Commerce. What will happen with the alliance? The WAC is also looking at teams in the SLC. Not much incentive for the top RMAC teams to leave. Just imagine the footprint of the LSC and GNAC conference merger. But that might be your best hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

I was not aware but yes, football travel costs would be quite a bit more. This on top of the fact that schools are going to be struggling to rebound from the impacts of the pandemic as is, adding travel costs just doesn't seem feasible. If I'm a fan of a team funding well under the scholarship limit I would want money to go towards that, not traveling even more. That's a 20+ hour bus trip from Pueblo to Ellensburg, I'd rather see the top RMAC teams join the LSC if they're going to be making trips like that.
      Isn't flight an option? Not just SeaTac, but also Tri-Cities (about 90 miles from Ellensburg) has 3 flights a day to Denver (with no pass to travel over) and there is also Spokane, but it is about a 3 hour drive. I know a lot of people here don't realize there are 3 flights to Denver daily from the Tri-Cities, but guessing even moreso there and I've taken that flight a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

Isn't flight an option? Not just SeaTac, but also Tri-Cities (about 90 miles from Ellensburg) has 3 flights a day to Denver (with no pass to travel over) and there is also Spokane, but it is about a 3 hour drive. I know a lot of people here don't realize there are 3 flights to Denver daily from the Tri-Cities, but guessing even moreso there and I've taken that flight a few times.
        I don't know what travel budgets you are dealing with in what remains of the GNAC but many RMAC teams struggle to even come close to fully funding scholarships, flying is expensive. I am aware that there are flights, I am just saying that it is a financial burden to take on with literally zero benefit to the any current RMAC program.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

I don't know what travel budgets you are dealing with in what remains of the GNAC but many RMAC teams struggle to even come close to fully funding scholarships, flying is expensive. I am aware that there are flights, I am just saying that it is a financial burden to take on with literally zero benefit to the any current RMAC program.
          The promise of future road trips to new areas can be a benefit to recruiting. Obviously a cost/benefit thing.

Comment

As someone who loves Seattle and Vancouver, I would be all about an extra reason to head up that way every year, but I don't have to pay to fly, house and feed the team on those trips.

Comment

I see a lot of talk about the Frontier Conference. I looked it up and have to wonder why Southern Oregon and Eastern Oregon want to schlep all the way out to Montana and play those itty bity schools rather than be in D2.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnequaFats View Post
                I see a lot of talk about the Frontier Conference. I looked it up and have to wonder why Southern Oregon and Eastern Oregon want to schlep all the way out to Montana and play those itty bity schools rather than be in D2.
                That's the million dollar question. I've heard SOU and EOU each have more scholarships than WOU. SOU even mocks WOU for being D2 ... which I don't get. Most of the schools in the football and basketball league are smaller private and/or church schools.

There must be a financial incentive for staying NAIA.

Comment

As far as being accessible, Vancouver has a beautiful international Airport, YVR, and SFU is no more than a 45 minute drive from the airport. Right at the moment the border is closed due to Covid, but flying into Vancouver from the U.S.A. is easy! You will need a passport though!! Now with a new stadium playing on campus will be far better than ever before!! Oh and have I mentioned the food scene in Vancouver?? Just be careful with Canadian BEER because it is a lot stronger than what you are used to stateside!!

Comment

Originally posted by SINGLE MALT View Post
                    As far as being accessible, Vancouver has a beautiful international Airport, YVR, and SFU is no more than a 45 minute drive from the airport. Right at the moment the border is closed due to Covid, but flying into Vancouver from the U.S.A. is easy! You will need a passport though!! Now with a new stadium playing on campus will be far better than ever before!! Oh and have I mentioned the food scene in Vancouver?? Just be careful with Canadian BEER because it is a lot stronger than what you are used to stateside!!
                    Vancouver is by far my favorite West Coast city. I haven't been to San Diego, heard that's awesome, but I think Vancouver (B.C.) beats Seattle, Portland, S.F., L.A., by a mile.

Comment

Just be careful with Canadian BEER because it is a lot stronger than what you are used to stateside!!

Comment

With new laws in the US, you'd also need a passport or another form of REAL ID to fly into SEA. I almost flew through YVR to Australia, but the flight out of SEA got canceled and I went through LAX instead. I was looking forward to seeing YVR with all the delays that trip as I arrived a day late due to weather at SEA.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

SOU even mocks WOU for being D2 ...

There must be a financial incentive for staying NAIA.
                          If they do, that's just ignorant. The only financial incentive for staying in the NAIA is that they can sponsor fewer sports and have fewer administrators.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

If they do, that's just ignorant. The only financial incentive for staying in the NAIA is that they can sponsor fewer sports and have fewer administrators.
                            I've heard it too Brandon from people there. Also from the D3 fans of teams that CWU and WOU were in the same NAIA conference with the two teams.

Comment

Comment

GNAC is currently at 10 teams, so 12 could theoretically get divisions for non-football sports.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X