• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IronOre
    replied
    Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
    Trying to get back on topic here...

Roots committed to CSU Pueblo. He was originally briefly committed to Dixie State before he pulled that back to reevaluate his options when Pueblo offered him.

https://twitter.com/Racecar_Roots/st...650516998?s=19
    Well, that makes a bit more sense. He'll get to go to the playoffs with them, probably.

Leave a comment:

• CWU Wildcat Nation
    replied
    Trying to get back on topic here...

Roots committed to CSU Pueblo. He was originally briefly committed to Dixie State before he pulled that back to reevaluate his options when Pueblo offered him.

https://twitter.com/Racecar_Roots/st...650516998?s=19

Leave a comment:

• tsull
    replied
    The anti-portal guy, 5th-round pick from Clemson, who stuck it out after a redshirt year his 3rd year at the school and one productive year his senior year. Great quotes about persevering, not quitting, putting your head down and working hard:

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...er/7320419002/

Leave a comment:

• Wildcat Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by tsull View Post
    My take is if you're never going to see the light of day on the playing field you might as well try to find a place where you can play in football because it's such a tough practice sport.

If you have a horrific falling out with a coach then maybe it's time to hit the road, too.

What I don't understand, particularly in the basketball portal, is if a guy stubs his toe he's transferring out the door and burning every bridge in sight.

In the GNAC I look at two of the top Canadian Football League players in Bighill and Reilly who spent four years each at CWU. For Western Oregon, their two NFL players Kevin Boss and Tyrell Williams, stayed at the school and worked their way up the depth chart and improved their skills. I don't think either one would have made the NFL if they would have been hunting for other schools instead of working on their games.
    You could even add Kitna to that list along with Akoye, but both CWU and APU were NAIA schools then.

Leave a comment:

• tsull
    replied
    My take is if you're never going to see the light of day on the playing field you might as well try to find a place where you can play in football because it's such a tough practice sport.

If you have a horrific falling out with a coach then maybe it's time to hit the road, too.

What I don't understand, particularly in the basketball portal, is if a guy stubs his toe he's transferring out the door and burning every bridge in sight.

In the GNAC I look at two of the top Canadian Football League players in Bighill and Reilly who spent four years each at CWU. For Western Oregon, their two NFL players Kevin Boss and Tyrell Williams, stayed at the school and worked their way up the depth chart and improved their skills. I don't think either one would have made the NFL if they would have been hunting for other schools instead of working on their games.

Leave a comment:

• IronOre
    replied
    Since when do you get to determine who posts or what is relevant?

Leave a comment:

• Gridiron Bobby
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Pounder
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by tsull View Post

The deal is is I don't know any coach that is taken six jobs in 6 years and there are a number of guys in the basketball portal who are doing that. There are two guys from Seattle who between their high school and college transferring have gone to 14 schools in 16 years.

I know some position coach guys in football who jump around a bit and there are some head coaches but some of these players are just ridiculous in their constant transferring, and I don't know how one can get traction in a program or an academic department or a university by doing this. About 98% of these guys in all the college football are not going on to professional football so what's the purpose of all this transferring? Michael Roots isn't going to the NFL.
    That's a true point - but to be fair, the coaches are paid, and also have a much longer longevity in the college world than the athletes do. Athletes have 4-6 years to "get it right," coaches have their entire careers.

That being said - I get it, the transfer situation is indeed out of control. The NBA mentality of "I had a rough half season, I need a new team" is starting to creep into other sports. The NFL influence is definitely there though, guys thinking they have a shot for whatever reason and trying to shift around. It probably just boils down to entitlement more than anything, as much as I hate to blame things on entitlement.

That's interesting that guys out there can transfer to that many high schools. We don't allow for that here, it's similar to the NCAA rules - you have to sit out a year. It's to prevent the big schools from recruiting talent out of the little schools. If you're gonna transfer for athletics, it would be done during middle school, which is a huge gamble - or just be rich and go to a fancy private school right off the bat.

Leave a comment:

• tsull
    replied
    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Job hopping is a fairly common and somewhat standard practice these days. So is transferring for academic purposes.

Food for thought, anyway.
    The deal is is I don't know any coach that is taken six jobs in 6 years and there are a number of guys in the basketball portal who are doing that. There are two guys from Seattle who between their high school and college transferring have gone to 14 schools in 16 years.

I know some position coach guys in football who jump around a bit and there are some head coaches but some of these players are just ridiculous in their constant transferring, and I don't know how one can get traction in a program or an academic department or a university by doing this. About 98% of these guys in all the college football are not going on to professional football so what's the purpose of all this transferring? Michael Roots isn't going to the NFL.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Job hopping is a fairly common and somewhat standard practice these days. So is transferring for academic purposes.

Food for thought, anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Gridiron Bobby
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CWU Wildcat Nation
    replied
    https://twitter.com/Racecar_Roots/st...887977473?s=19
    Roots just picked up an offer from CSU Pueblo, one of the RMAC powerhouses. Jon Kitna's son Jordan is the QB there, I think. Or at least he was before the pandemic

Leave a comment:

• tsull
    replied
    I'm sure he'll get the Heisman if he just finds the right school. I'm not saying they should be tethered, never said that. Where did I say they were dumb? Do you have reading comprehension issues? I'm saying they should see the situation they're getting into. I've seen more portal guys flop (mostly in basketball) than succeed. Some guys should leave if they're not liking the program.

Going to Dixie is hardly an upgrade. When you're looking at 4 schools in 4 years, maybe, just maybe the issue isn't with the coaches. Perhaps they should quit listening to 7-on-7 coaches/agents/handlers, etc., telling them they are the greatest player ever. If Roots is so great, someone bigger than Dixie would want him.

Leave a comment:

• Pounder
    replied

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X