Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWU Making Push to Host High School Playoff Games

https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/spor...099f95220.html

The Tacoma Dome will no longer host high school playoff games, due to the 100% fact that the Tacoma Dome, well, sucks. The WIAA is looking for 3 or so different locations to host the state championships. With a newly remodeled turf stadium with lights, CWU has reached out to the WIAA to ask that they consider CWU to host games. Ellensburg is an ideal central location in the middle of the state with plenty of hotels and restaurants, and although fall in the Burg can get chilly, it is considerably less wet than the rainy fall on the Westside. Hopefully the WIAA strongly considers Tomlinson to host some games going forward.

Re: CWU Making Push to Host High School Playoff Games

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post

The Tacoma Dome will no longer host high school playoff games, due to the 100% fact that the Tacoma Dome, well, sucks. The WIAA is looking for 3 or so different locations to host the state championships. With a newly remodeled turf stadium with lights, CWU has reached out to the WIAA to ask that they consider CWU to host games. Ellensburg is an ideal central location in the middle of the state with plenty of hotels and restaurants, and although fall in the Burg can get chilly, it is considerably less wet than the rainy fall on the Westside. Hopefully the WIAA strongly considers Tomlinson to host some games going forward.
    It would help that one Oregon team too if they make it, who just missed the playoffs last year and won the 5A Oregon title the year before. I'd like to see the other choices before offering a final voice though. I'd expect it to be more the 2A and lower and not the 3A for Hermiston if CWU hosted 2 divisions.

I also know a few years ago Tri-Cities hosted the baseball tournament for 3A-4A, so I guess that could be possible in theory to not have it on the West side of the state.

Comment

"can get chilly" might be understating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
        It would help that one Oregon team too if they make it, who just missed the playoffs last year and won the 5A Oregon title the year before. I'd like to see the other choices before offering a final voice though. I'd expect it to be more the 2A and lower and not the 3A for Hermiston if CWU hosted 2 divisions.
        Oregon teams don't play in our playoffs. Oregon and Washington teams don't play each other except for some early season non-conference games.

Comment

Oregon teams don't play in our playoffs. Oregon and Washington teams don't play each other except for some early season non-conference games.
          Hermiston HS is a member of the WIAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
            Hermiston HS is a member of the WIAA.
            Oh wow I stand corrected. I just Googled it. Wow weird. But yeah having playoff games somewhere in Central WA would be nice for teams out here.

Comment

Oh wow I stand corrected. I just Googled it. Wow weird. But yeah having playoff games somewhere in Central WA would be nice for teams out here.
              I went to a game at Ellensburg HS once late in the season and remember sitting in the snow, wishing I had the propane heaters they had on the sideline.

Comment

It was a very, very extreme case. Hermiston High is 1600 students, so would be 6A in Oregon and closest schools in that division would be either Portland league or Bend/Salem league. With that distance, the Portland league told them they would have to play all league games in Portland on top of the distance of 180ish miles each way in all sports. In Washington, there were already 8 schools within 40 miles that were similar size willing to travel to Hermiston (and already having non-league games with them) so they reached out for a waiver to play in Washington. One of their wrestlers got 3rd in the state this year.

It actually made another change for the state, as Spokane and Tri-Cities moved into the same district instead of Spokane and Vancouver to help both the Spokane and Vancouver schools.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X