Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buffalo Pistol Pete Pedro--Dies at 75

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
    I noticed a old picture of three football players last time I was at Hard Eight barbecue. Great place to eat barbecue both in Coppell and Stephenville when I am in North Texas. The players were from Sul Ross and they were competing for the 1949 National Championship representing the New Mexico Intercollegiate conference. I wondered if this later turned into the conference y'all were talking about. Turns out one of the three players was Dan Blocker better known as Hoss Cartwright from an old western series Bonanza. Blocker was born and buried in Northeast Texas but spent most of his youth in West Texas somewhere near Lubbock.
    O'Donnell, Tx off Hwy 87. Too bad about Dan Blocker. Relatively young. Died in May 1972 at age 43 from Pulmonary embolism.

Comment

I noticed a old picture of three football players last time I was at Hard Eight barbecue. Great place to eat barbecue both in Coppell and Stephenville when I am in North Texas. The players were from Sul Ross and they were competing for the 1949 National Championship representing the New Mexico Intercollegiate conference. I wondered if this later turned into the conference y'all were talking about. Turns out one of the three players was Dan Blocker better known as Hoss Cartwright from an old western series Bonanza. Blocker was born and buried in Northeast Texas but spent most of his youth in West Texas somewhere near Lubbock.
      I was headed to Valentine, Texas, one year to work with clients. Telling another client about the trip, she told me she spent part of her days as a kid in the Balmorhea area and they would frequent Balmorhea State Park and said we needed to visit it on the way down. She said Hoss, when he was a student at Sul Ross, broke one of the diving boards at Balmorhea State Park.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Whitfield View Post
        O'Donnell, Tx off Hwy 87. Too bad about Dan Blocker. Relatively young. Died in May 1972 at age 43 from Pulmonary embolism.
        While my dad was stationed in El Paso, 1960-1961, almost two years, I played on a city Optimist football team (pads, helmets etc). I was 8. Our two coaches were both FBI agents. In college, one had been a RB/DB at Minnesota, the other a DL/OL at Washington. Somehow, they were good friends with Dan Blocker. One day he came to our practice, greeted us, shook hand with us, signed some pictures, and ate hot dogs with us after practice. Somewhere along the way I lost the picture. :disapointed:

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Whitfield View Post
          Sul Ross State was a member of the Lone Star conf from '50 - '75, however. Don't suppose they would be interested in rejoining the LSC. Never been to Alpine, but I would guess it would be an interesting place to see for visitors. The Lobos are a natural rival for UTPB.
          I had a full ride offer from Sul Ross (baseball) out of HS. 1970, Alpine was like the end of the earth. They were a perennial NAIA champion. Mike Hargrove, ex Cleveland Indian player and manager, was on that team. They wanted me as a pitcher, but my heart and soul was a catcher. 3 FB knee surgeries by 1970 and I wasn't able to really catch like I used to. Since I already had a full ride for college (Ford Punt, Pass, and Kick national runner-up as a 12 year old, some money from boing a national merit quarterfinalist, and lot's of other schollie stuff, I declined. Boy, if I had it to do over, I would have headed to Sul Ross (or NM State) to pitch. Bad decision.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
            I had a full ride offer from Sul Ross (baseball) out of HS. 1970, Alpine was like the end of the earth. They were a perennial NAIA champion. Mike Hargrove, ex Cleveland Indian player and manager, was on that team. They wanted me as a pitcher, but my heart and soul was a catcher. 3 FB knee surgeries by 1970 and I wasn't able to really catch like I used to. Since I already had a full ride for college (Ford Punt, Pass, and Kick national runner-up as a 12 year old, some money from boing a national merit quarterfinalist, and lot's of other schollie stuff, I declined. Boy, if I had it to do over, I would have headed to Sul Ross (or NM State) to pitch. Bad decision.
            Not many people would put this kind of personal info out there. Shows your human and makes me feel better about some poor collegiate decisions I made also some years ago.

Comment

Not many people would put this kind of personal info out there. Shows your human and makes me feel better about some poor collegiate decisions I made also some years ago.
              However, I'd have never started the business that I did, met my wife, had our two great kids (and grandson), and have the friends we have.

Even though I sometimes regret not seeing what I could have done playing college ball (I actually had offers from Sul Ross, NM State, Tulsa, what is now Carl Albert JC, Ranger, and Cisco JC), I'm very blessed to have had a pretty decent life (so far).

Comment

Originally posted by GoBuffsGo View Post
                Thanks for the article!

Seems pretty strange reading a football article with Arizona State, New Mexico State, WTAMU and "Hardin Simmons" all mentioned in the same article. Good old Border Conference. At one time, the members were Arizona, Arizona State, New Mexico, New Mexico State, UTEP, Texas Tech, WT and Hardin Simmons.
                My Dad took me to many of those games in 60s when Buffs played all D1 and Buffs played AZ State up till 66 , Kerbel Coached Buffs beat ASU in Tempe I believe in 65 or 66 and The great ASU Coach Frank Kush was fuming mad for ASU had already joined the WAC and figured Buffs an easy win. Im sure Kerbel loved that moment.
                Yep my Dad also loved watching Pistol Pete.
                Hank Washington was one of if not first Black QB to play major college ball in Tx as well in 65.

Comment

This must be written by a youngin. An old Western called Bonanza... lol we grew up on that. You can go to wikipedia look up Border Conference has the history and champs for each year. ASU, Arizona , TT and UTEP pretty much owned it but WT had a couple of good years in it as well. Interesting info to look at.

Comment

I made some dumb collegiate decisions as well,, your not alone but glad I graduated from WT.

Comment

Thats a good story.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelina Alum View Post
                        Here's a little West Texas State Pistol Pete and Kingsville connection. Enjoy and you're welcome:

https://www.si.com/vault/1962/10/29/...preacher-pilot

Thanks for posting that Vault article. Great article. Hope his family has read it.
                        Back in the 60s WT had a few mentions in the fault with Duane Thomas and Merc Morris.

Comment

Originally posted by bufffan78 View Post
                          My Dad took me to many of those games in 60s when Buffs played all D1 and Buffs played AZ State up till 66 , Kerbel Coached Buffs beat ASU in Tempe I believe in 65 or 66 and The great ASU Coach Frank Kush was fuming mad for ASU had already joined the WAC and figured Buffs an easy win. Im sure Kerbel loved that moment.
                          Yep my Dad also loved watching Pistol Pete.
                          Hank Washington was one of if not first Black QB to play major college ball in Tx as well in 65.
                          I think WT beat ASU in 1962 when the great Jerry Logan intercepted a pass and returned it 90 + yds for a TD.

Comment

Originally posted by olebuff View Post
                            I think WT beat ASU in 1962 when the great Jerry Logan intercepted a pass and returned it 90 + yds for a TD.
                            Joe Kerbel's Buffs beat ASU 3 of the last 5 times they played ('62, '65, '66), twice in Tempe. Unfortunately today, WT would struggle against the Sun Devils Jr varsity.

Comment

Originally posted by olebuff View Post
                              Joe Kerbel's Buffs beat ASU 3 of the last 5 times they played ('62, '65, '66), twice in Tempe. Unfortunately today, WT would struggle against the Sun Devils Jr varsity.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                                While my dad was stationed in El Paso, 1960-1961, almost two years, I played on a city Optimist football team (pads, helmets etc). I was 8. Our two coaches were both FBI agents. In college, one had been a RB/DB at Minnesota, the other a DL/OL at Washington. Somehow, they were good friends with Dan Blocker. One day he came to our practice, greeted us, shook hand with us, signed some pictures, and ate hot dogs with us after practice. Somewhere along the way I lost the picture. :disapointed:
                                I would guess that today's FBI agents are nothing like agents 50+ years ago. Hope you find the photo. Sounds like a keeper for sure.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X