Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Commerce @ENMU

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
    Although they threw for over 300 on Mines and held Mines to under 100 yards passing. Crazy stat. Shutting down the run certainly gets them off their game though.
    You gotta remember, the back from Colorado Mines gashed Paw Patrol for over 200 yards on the ground...AND CSUP has ball security issues....

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
      This was my first chance to attend in person this year, and Im feeling better about things.

The defense took a huge step forward this week and is for real. Big, fast and deep. Our linebackers are really, really good. Its going to be really hard to move the ball on the ground against those guys and the QB pressure they put on every play is going to stress anyone trying to throw downfield against them. I am pretty confident they will keep us in every game this season. Which brings me to...

Offense is clearly struggling some. I was really glad to see them air it out a bit more last night - we had 191 yds on the ground, 101 from Carandal Hale - and stretching the Defense is responsible for that production. The passing game was a bit hard to watch most of the night, but I wasn't completely unhappy with what I saw. First, the wind was blowing pretty hard for most of the game, and that no doubt affected some throws. Wheeler also had an off night, it happens. Here's the thing, he has the tools to get it done. Throws are "mostly" accurate and has outstanding arm strength. I remember 2 years ago, after Perez's 4th game and we had just barely beat Kingsville 38-36 (sound familiar?) I was frustrated that Luis went 10-19 for 133 yards. He was holding the ball way too long, was missing or not seeing wide open receivers all over the place. I saw the same thing with Wheeler last night. He'd drop back, 3 guys would be wide open just after their cut, and he would just not get the ball out on time and the D had a chance to recover. When he did let it go he was missing high more often than not. So he was rushing his release. It looks to me that the game hasn't slowed down for him enough yet. He is in a bit of a hurry and not making immediate reads - which was really evident when ENMU blitzed him and he got buried a few times. I think he will be fine, given time. I think he has a chance to be REALLY good, in fact. We need to realize that the game WILL slow down for him, probably soon, and he will start putting up pretty big numbers. Patience is needed. That said...

GET THE BALL TO VINCENT HOBBS!!!! Good grief. I think he was targeted 3 times last night, and caught 1 pass for 7 yards. That dude has a chance to play on Sundays and often looks like a man among boys when he is in the secondary with the ball. THROW IT TO HOBBS!!! First possession! Second or 3rd play of the game!! I dont care if you put him at fullback early or direct snap to him or run a bubble screen. He NEEDS to touch the ball 8-10 times a game IMO. He is our best player on offense, and getting him the ball once a game is terrible and inexcusable. Once more for effect: THROW THE BALL TO VINCENT HOBBS!!!!

Last, I'd like to see Kane Wilson get the keys for one or 2 drives per game. His running ability will give us a very different look, say for the first drive of the 2nd half, and you could have a coach in Wheeler's ear on the sideline making sure he is seeing what he needs to see.

I like our chances at home the next 2 weeks. Pueblo will be a challenge, but I think we will shut their offense down pretty well, and Lock Haven should be pretty much a lock for us.

Can we put it all together in 3 weeks vs MSU? Jury is still out but, at this point in the season, I would not be surprised if we do.
      Sorry, didn't quite get that. Who is it that you want the ball thrown to?? ;)

Comment

Commerce is a QB away from actually being the best team in D2. Blaming isn't the answer but how does ET go 4 straight season with serious arm talent, win a natty, then spend the next season completing less that 50% of their passes? Time for a new OC i think. Midwestern is the king of the LSC right now and the ET better get right offensively or there will be a replacement OC right around the corner. Right now ET looks like they'd get crushed by MSU. Might even be a blow out.

Comment

Originally posted by OldWTfan_NewTAMUCfan View Post
          Commerce is a QB away from actually being the best team in D2. Blaming isn't the answer but how does ET go 4 straight season with serious arm talent, win a natty, then spend the next season completing less that 50% of their passes? Time for a new OC i think. Midwestern is the king of the LSC right now and the ET better get right offensively or there will be a replacement OC right around the corner. Right now ET looks like they'd get crushed by MSU. Might even be a blow out.
          Completing less than 50% of passes....you sure?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

You sure you aren't actually still a WT fan? Wow. Its GAME 3, deep breaths, lol! I dont see anyone blowing Commerce out, just by virtue of their defense. Wheeler has all the tools he needs, he just needs to get relaxed, get better at reading the defensive coverages, and trust his arm. That takes time. He is 3 games into playing at this level. Dont jump off the bridge just yet man. Plus, his completion rate is 54% right now. Before the off night in the windy conditions last night it was 61%.

Comment

Your as good as the last game you play. 11/30 last night with 103 yards passing. Thats not close to being elite.

Comment

Your as good as the last game you play. 11/30 last night with 103 yards passing. Thats not close to being elite.
                I just checked and it turns out Commerce WON! 3-0. As good as last game WE PLAYED (ie TEAM sometimes someone has an off night, thats why theres 21 other guys to pick up the slack did ya like the 200 rushing yards?) WE are undefeated, ranked #1 in the country, and have the longest winning streak in DII. Just chill and give the kid a minute to adjust before you fire the OC and send the QB home.

Comment

Comment

This is what a lot of us Lion Fans do not get about the QB situation. We genuinely DO NOT KNOW the following.

Preston Wheeler has very little prior experience to this. He has played in some mop up duty, but nothing serious. His last serious playing time was in high school. He may "know" the offense better than everyone else, but how does that stamp the seal of approval?

Kane Wilson is a known play maker. He was considering going to BYU (who defeated a top 10 yesterday) on scholarship after last year. He won a national title as a JUCO QB and was All-American. We have film on him, we know what he can do, and he would have been a Division I QB had he not had some off field issues early in his career.

So if you put YOUR BEST player out there, a 22 year old kid who has not had meaningful snaps since high school is better than a 26 year old who was Division I material out of high school, a JUCO All-American and National JUCO Champion and had DI schools come after him after his JUCO days?

Again, I really want to know, WHY? I just don't see the argument made for starting Wheeler, but again, I hope I am wrong.

Comment

Comment

Great post.

Comment

Yup, also I think our last undefeated season was in like 1932. So its far more likely than not that we are going to lose at some point this year. And a loss to a quality team isn't the end of the world. MSU stomped us last year and finished the regular season undefeated. Still worked out well for us and not so much for them in the end.

Comment

Absolutely. For those calling for Wilson to be the QB....what happens when they dont like his performance either. I think ill go with what national champion coaches think myself.

Comment

Won conference game on the road. Gave up 212 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by 08LionBacker View Post
                                Won conference game on the road. Gave up 212 yards.

That defense can win alot of games as long as the offense doesnt turn the ball over.

The loosness with the ball is my only concern with that offense. The Qb seems to lock in in a guy and has trouble seeing the field. ENMU had 1 pick but came close to a couple others.

Still, Commerce has one of the best defenses ive seen.

And those talking about the wind.....It wasnt bad at all. light breeze. sheesh you guys need to toughen up!
                                I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X