Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BuffaloChip
    replied
    I was pretty impressed with the two games today against Central Oklahoma. UCO came into the series with a 7-2 record. WT has a good balance of speed and power at the plate. Our CF, Ruby Salzman, is definitely a candidate for 1st team AA accolades. She hit her 7th HR of the season today into a 21 mph breeze in her face. It was a line drive shot that was stopped by the upper portion of the scoreboard past the 220 ft mark.

Our fielding is improved this year. We steal bases. We're hitting .411 after 12 games and with 22 HRs. Our pitching has been good not great. As mentioned by WT_TKW, the next couple weeks will give us an idea about how good this team is.

I'm hearing that the two high school pitchers signed for next year may hold a "real deal" stopper between them. The Parrish girl from Illinois has videos online that show her consistently throwing at the 62-63 mph level. The Vorntherms girl recently had a game against the 5th ranked SD team where she won in a shutout striking out 12 in a 6 inning game. She's a spinner of the ball.

I like what I see so far.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 02-28-2021, 10:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WT_TKW
    replied
    WT took 2 from OCU this afternoon. The first one took 8 innings because our catcher dropped an excellent throw, which allowed the tying run to score. However, she won the game with a clutch hit to left field. WT lead in the second game 7-0 before brining in a freshman pitcher for the final inning. UCO raked her over the coals for 3 runs, but WT held on to win 7-3. Coach Mook kept her in, which was risky, but evidently he sees something in her. He is different from our previous coaches, as he lets pretty much everyone on the team play. So far that's working out. We have some quality players on the bench now, something we haven't had in a few years. Some are last year's starters, and some may be starting soon.

WT is now 12-0 but is entering a very tough part of their schedule. Next up: #4 UT Tyler, #7 Commerce, #24 LCU, and #19 Angelo State (all rankings from the WT website). I will be thrilled if we win half of these games!

Leave a comment:

• WT_TKW
    replied
    WT defeated OPSU in a double header to become 10-0. Tomorrow they take on their first real competition, UCO, which is also undefeated, in Canyon. Former WT freshman slugger Mel Huggins will be on the field for UCO.

After that the schedule looks really scary. The LSC really has some amazing teams. I think we have the right coach to do very well, but maybe not the pitching yet. It will be interesting.

Coach Mook's recent interview:

https://gobuffsgo.com/news/2021/2/27...eNPJAHX7-w6ZzM

Leave a comment:

• WT&TTECHfan
    replied
    Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
    WT had 4 great games at home this weekend, scoring 19 runs in each of the first 2 and 11 in each of the last 2. Pitching was good, but not great. I'm hoping that will continue to improve, as LSC- quality teams will score a lot of runs otherwise. WT is 8-0.
    The LSC softball is going to be loaded this year and to think we are picked 7th to finish in it...

Leave a comment:

• WT_TKW
    replied
    WT had 4 great games at home this weekend, scoring 19 runs in each of the first 2 and 11 in each of the last 2. Pitching was good, but not great. I'm hoping that will continue to improve, as LSC- quality teams will score a lot of runs otherwise. WT is 8-0.

Leave a comment:

• JakeTAMUC
    replied
    Commerce went 3-1. Freshman Alyssa Leblanc had all 3 wins including a no hitter in which she also hit a home run. 2 freshman outfielders starting this year looked real good, and had home runs from 7 different players in the 4 games. LSC sounds loaded again this season.

Leave a comment:

• JavsFan
    replied
    WT starts 4-0 in the LCU tournament this weekend. There's still work to be done, but some of the new players look good, especially freshman pitcher Halle Lytal.

How did everyone else do?

2-0, pitching looks like it will be our ticket again this year.

Started a true freshman against #5 ASU. She had a shutout through 5 before tiring and giving up a couple in the sixth.
    In the nightcap, Saidi Castillo gave up three hits over nine innings, no runs, 8 Ks.
    Breanna Smith who has 54 career wins, picked up saves in both games.

Offense not clicking yet.

Leave a comment:

• WT_TKW
    replied
    WT starts 4-0 in the LCU tournament this weekend. There's still work to be done, but some of the new players look good, especially freshman pitcher Halle Lytal.

How did everyone else do?

Leave a comment:

• JakeTAMUC
    replied
    Looks like a modified season this year for LSC softball:

"The 2021 LSC season starts January 29 with 16 teams playing a single round-robin schedule with two games against each league opponent. The LSC Champion will be the team(s) with the best winning percentage in regular-season conference games.

The single-elimination LSC Championship featuring the top 10 teams will be played May 6-7-8, at the No. 1 seed. The winner of the postseason championship will be recognized as LSC Tournament Champion and receive the league's automatic qualification into the NCAA postseason."

2021 LSC Softball Preseason Poll
    Rank Team 1st Points
    1 Oklahoma Christian 22 619
    2 UT Tyler 4 548
    3 Texas A&M-Commerce 5 538
    4 Angelo State 3 535
    5 Texas A&M-Kingsville 6 533
    6 Lubbock Christian 1 501
    7 West Texas A&M 444
    8 Cameron 375
    9 St. Mary's 311
    10 Eastern New Mexico 1 276
    11 St. Edward's 265
    12 UT Permian Basin 213
    13 Texas Woman's 161
    T14 Midwestern State 143
    T14 Texas A&M International 143
    16 Western New Mexico 107

Leave a comment:

• WT_TKW
    replied
    The work-in progress schedule is up for WT.

https://gobuffsgo.com/sports/softball/schedule/2021

Leave a comment:

• WT_TKW
    replied
    No softball schedule for WT yet, but Angelo has one. Looks like no big tournament in Houston unlike the last 2 years. :(

https://angelosports.com/sports/softball/schedule/2021

Leave a comment:

• WT_TKW
    replied
    A third game will be required to settle the WT world series!

https://gobuffsgo.com/news/2020/11/9...cq9VMtYp57tp9s

Leave a comment:

• ASUPops
    replied

"It just depends on what your definition of 'World Series' is." - Bill Clinton

So, make the drive to Canyon and post a full report!
    Nah.....I'll pass! 707

Leave a comment:

• ASUPops
    replied
    HILARIOUS!!!!!! Hahahahaha

Ramit vs Moonpies!! 70707070707

Leave a comment:

• WT_TKW
    replied
    How exciting! I am pulling for the Moonpies.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X