Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    Has the "new" and "exciting" worn off of the stadium already? You had the LSC game of the week in Canyon on a really nice day (a bit chilly, but for November, not bad) and that stadium was at best half full. Even the ESPN announcers mentioned it several times during the broadcast...you have a nice stadium, a much better team than in previous years, and not many showing up.
    I used to ask you the same thing. ASU's attendance dropped once they went to the on-campus stadium.

Personally I would not want to sit on the East side looking into the sun. An easy solution to that is to start the games later.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

I used to ask you the same thing. ASU's attendance dropped once they went to the on-campus stadium.

Personally I would not want to sit on the East side looking into the sun. An easy solution to that is to start the games later.
      Oh I'm with you 100% on ASU attendance...don't know what the issue there is. However, I do believe part of it is the way the ticketing/getting in and out of the stadium is for people. Angelo is a retirement community with a ton of our population not in the best shape of their life. When getting into the stadium takes a full on hike (regardless of which side of the stadium you enter from) along with the junior high ticket taking situation I think a lot of people would rather not go through the process. There is a handicap accessible elevator on the home side but if you don't qualify as handicap but just have a difficult time making the hike, that elevator isn't for you. There are no carts that can take you from the parking lot to the top of the bleachers (unless you are a big wig). I wouldn't want to sit on the East side looking into the sun the entire time either, and this year the home side has been full or at least pretty close to full.

I don't know if there was another event in Canyon/Amarillo this past weekend that takes from the attendance, but I know two weeks ago at ASU's last home game, the Cinch Roping Fiesta was in town and that is a huge draw for our community and the attendance at tailgate and at the game suffered as a result. Our community is super fickle about supporting football games. The rest of our sports typically draw close to the top of the conference/region but football lags behind. And for that I cannot figure out a reason.

Just figured with WT's new fancy stadium and a decent football team, that more people would show up.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post

A lot of WT fans still have their head up their arse about the Carthel firing. I see people still whining about it online frequently. I honestly don't have a good answer... attendance was the highest in 05 - 07 but seemed to decline each year thereafter even under Carthel.

Another thing to consider is they gave tickets away when some of the larger crowds showed up at Kimbrough.
        If I'm not mistaken, they sold tickets at a discount to a bank who gave them away as a promotion. WT did receive some proceeds from those tickets. Doubt you could find a bank now willing to do that.

But you are right. The tickets were free to the fan.

Comment

I looked back and at one of the last home games of the season in 2012, the best WT football season ever...there were only 5,800 fans at the game. It has always seemed to me that attendance drops significantly towards the end of the season. There's probably more factors than I could even imagine but I have been really disappointed by attendance this season with exception to Azusa Pacific the grand opening and Central Washington for homecoming.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
            The WT fans never fail to amuse me. Every single positive yardage play by commerce was because a ref missed an " obvious hold" and every pass defended by Commerce was " obvious pass interference." They are the same way in football, softball, and basketball. Every. Single. Time. I admire their tenacity.
            Yes Im sure this is only a WT issue and that this never happens in Commerce or every other stadium in every other sport.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_ALUM08 View Post

Yes Im sure this is only a WT issue and that this never happens in Commerce or every other stadium in every other sport.
              oh it happens some in other places, not NEARLY at the same level. WT fans are undisputed national champions in this aspect.

Comment

oh it happens some in other places, not NEARLY at the same level. WT fans are undisputed national champions in this aspect.

Comment

Comment

https://www.angelo.edu/content/news/15739-intramural-flag-football-national-champions

:tongue:

Comment

It's happened both times Commerce played Pueblo in football that's all I know. Excuse excuse excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

It's happened both times Commerce played Pueblo in football that's all I know. Excuse excuse excuse.
                        Explain what you are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Explain what you are talking about.
                          I mean, does that really need an explanation. If it doesn't apply to you then don't make it apply to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

I mean, does that really need an explanation. If it doesn't apply to you then don't make it apply to you.
                            Last edited by Techster88; 11-08-2019, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                              failed to execute when they needed to and lost
                              I am fairly certain that that is why most teams lose and it is usually because the other guys did execute when needed

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post
                                I am fairly certain that that is why most teams lose and it is usually because the other guys did execute when needed
                                I was mainly talking about the penalties late in the game on the final drive not so much as in general.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X