Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASU 2019 Football Season in Review

Coming into the season, I don't know that many, if any, people had a real idea of what to expect from this version of the Rams. 1st year head coach with new offensive and defensive schemes (as well as defensive staff), had most ASU fans sitting quietly for most of the off season. Coming off of what had been a half decade of mediocre results, not many people jumped on the ASU bandwagon, even after a 4-1 start, because we had heard this song and verse before.
    I think if you ask anyone associated with the program if they believe 8-3 is a "success" they will give you a yes, but no answer. Yes 8-3 is better than they had been in years past, but not the result they expected after the 4-1 start. Overall, I think it is was good year that provided a lot of good things to build on with a remarkably young team (more on that later).

Some stats for the year:
    #3 scoring offense at 33.8 points/game (5th in yards/game, 6th in rushing, 4th in passing)
    #1 scoring defense at 14.8 points/game (3rd in yards/game, 3rd in rushing, 3rd in passing)
    Defense led the conference in interceptions with 17, was 2nd in sacks with 31
    The least penalized team in the conference

As far as what we have coming back next year. Based on the depth chart from the Commerce game (lots of injuries, just as everyone else has) we lose 2 starters on the offensive side of the ball (LT, QB). We also lose the backup QB, and back up running back (although a true freshman played as much, if not more than the senior) With Ayo out, he obviously don't get counted in the above, but he was a huge loss and I think you saw that in the offensive production when he went down.

Defensively, there was only 1 senior in the 2 deep and he was a one year starter. We will bring back Leddy French as a 3 or 4 year starter at FS while also bringing back Devin Washington who led the conference in interceptions.

We also lose a reliable piece of the kicking game in Connor Flannigan, but I think we may have the replacement on campus as the punter filled in for him while he was injured earlier in the season.

Offensively, we must find a QB to run this offense who can consistently get the ball where it needs to be. I believe the staff will turn over every rock possible to find that piece because I do believe this team is set up to win big at the conference level next year.

Thoughts?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	cartoon-light-bulb-vector-18784925.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	455112How about a QB that can "MAKE PLAYS" instead of just run plays. We saw the difference last Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
        Coming into the season, I don't know that many, if any, people had a real idea of what to expect from this version of the Rams. 1st year head coach with new offensive and defensive schemes (as well as defensive staff), had most ASU fans sitting quietly for most of the off season. Coming off of what had been a half decade of mediocre results, not many people jumped on the ASU bandwagon, even after a 4-1 start, because we had heard this song and verse before.
        I think if you ask anyone associated with the program if they believe 8-3 is a "success" they will give you a yes, but no answer. Yes 8-3 is better than they had been in years past, but not the result they expected after the 4-1 start. Overall, I think it is was good year that provided a lot of good things to build on with a remarkably young team (more on that later).

Some stats for the year:
        #3 scoring offense at 33.8 points/game (5th in yards/game, 6th in rushing, 4th in passing)
        #1 scoring defense at 14.8 points/game (3rd in yards/game, 3rd in rushing, 3rd in passing)
        Defense led the conference in interceptions with 17, was 2nd in sacks with 31
        The least penalized team in the conference

As far as what we have coming back next year. Based on the depth chart from the Commerce game (lots of injuries, just as everyone else has) we lose 2 starters on the offensive side of the ball (LT, QB). We also lose the backup QB, and back up running back (although a true freshman played as much, if not more than the senior) With Ayo out, he obviously don't get counted in the above, but he was a huge loss and I think you saw that in the offensive production when he went down.

Defensively, there was only 1 senior in the 2 deep and he was a one year starter. We will bring back Leddy French as a 3 or 4 year starter at FS while also bringing back Devin Washington who led the conference in interceptions.

We also lose a reliable piece of the kicking game in Connor Flannigan, but I think we may have the replacement on campus as the punter filled in for him while he was injured earlier in the season.

Offensively, we must find a QB to run this offense who can consistently get the ball where it needs to be. I believe the staff will turn over every rock possible to find that piece because I do believe this team is set up to win big at the conference level next year.

Thoughts?
        As usual ASURAM, you are pretty much dead on.

I agree with 98% of your assessment. One key element I believe will be needed is some better MOTIVATORS on staff. Whether that be one of the current coaches or they create a position, or get a volunteer, or us a university staff member....but SOMEONE needs to bring H3LLS FIRE to this team and make them BELIEVE and be excited EVERY day...on and off season....on and off the field. Get that, and you are looking at a championship program.....no doubt.

P.S. - Sorry I didn't get to see ya at tailgate. I actually had my cast removed Thursday and started therapy/rehab. 1st appt was Saturday AM.....being 5 hours away, I couldn't make it by game time.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
        Working...
        X