X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hardin Simmons to D2?

Originally posted by We-Are-Lions View Post
    I believe the rebuttal most are making to you is:

It is easier to carry the cost of a few hundred student athletes with enrollment of 12K than 3K

Tell that to Trinity. They have an enrollment of less than half of ENMU. But with an endowment of approaching $1.5 billion, I'm pretty sure they could pay to play in D2 ball (or any other ball for that matter) with the change in their sofa cushions.

Comment

Originally posted by We-Are-Lions View Post
      I believe the rebuttal most are making to you is:

It is easier to carry the cost of a few hundred student athletes with enrollment of 12K than 3K

And it is easier to recruit at the D2 level, with partial scholarships, at cheaper schools. After a partial scholarship a student will pay more out of pocket for a private school over a state school decreasing the odds of attending. Also, a public school can spread scholarships out more, offering less to any one athlete, and still ask the kid to pay less out of pocket than a private school could.

Given those reasons, Hardin Simmons would struggle recruiting against other D2 schools if they moved up.
      DEAD ON.

Maybe you can help a few on this board catch on. This seems to be a very difficult concept to grasp. LMFAO!!!!!!

Comment

First-time poster on this board, long-time lurker here and on the GAC board.

I remember when HSU dropped scholarship athletics and moved from D-I to D-III. This is when they added football.

Interesting rumor. Three generations of my wife's family attended Hardin-Simmons. I am an alum of Oklahoma Baptist, and our son currently attends there. We have another son graduating from high school this year. As an alum and as a parent, I'm familiar with how these schools operate.

Yes, the sticker price is higher at a private school. But, depending on the school, they will offer a good chunk of financial aid to all freshmen based on test scores and GPA. Our son qualified for enough aid to bring the price of OBU down to the price of a public school in Texas. Hardin-Simmons was offering the same type of aid package for both of our sons. We have found that private schools offer much more aid, with the goal of being competitive on price with public schools. Our kids have average to above-average grades, with good test scores, and do not qualify for much (if any) in the way of aid to public schools in Texas.

In light of HSU's situation, they recently cut programs and staff:

https://www.reporternews.com/story/n...es/1652769002/

https://www.baptiststandard.com/news...lty-and-staff/

I'm not sure if HSU could pull off a move to D-II. They would have to invest in partial scholarships in all their sports, plus compete in the LSC if invited. That's a pretty tall order for them.
        Last edited by johnintx; 02-02-2019, 06:25 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=johnintx;2347774]First-time poster on this board, long-time lurker here and on the GAC board.

I remember when HSU dropped scholarship athletics and moved from D-I to D-III. This is when they added football.

Not exactly. They had football as a division 1 school and dropped it in the 60s. Added it back in 1990 but they were NAIA until 1996 when they joined NCAA D3

Comment

Comment

[QUOTE=LSCfan1;2347791]
              Originally posted by johnintx View Post

Not exactly. They had football as a division 1 school and dropped it in the 60s. Added it back in 1990 but they were NAIA until 1996 when they joined NCAA D3
              True. I remember they played in the Border Conference with Texas Tech and Arizona State, among others. I neglected to mention that. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by johnintx View Post

Interesting rumor. Three generations of my wife's family attended Hardin-Simmons. I am an alum of Oklahoma Baptist, and our son currently attends there. We have another son graduating from high school this year. As an alum and as a parent, I'm familiar with how these schools operate.

Yes, the sticker price is higher at a private school. But, depending on the school, they will offer a good chunk of financial aid to all freshmen based on test scores and GPA. Our son qualified for enough aid to bring the price of OBU down to the price of a public school in Texas. Hardin-Simmons was offering the same type of aid package for both of our sons. We have found that private schools offer much more aid, with the goal of being competitive on price with public schools. Our kids have average to above-average grades, with good test scores, and do not qualify for much (if any) in the way of aid to public schools in Texas.

In light of HSU's situation, they recently cut programs and staff:

https://www.reporternews.com/story/n...es/1652769002/

https://www.baptiststandard.com/news...lty-and-staff/

I'm not sure if HSU could pull off a move to D-II. They would have to invest in partial scholarships in all their sports, plus compete in the LSC if invited. That's a pretty tall order for them.
                Well that info put a sizeable dent in the rumor.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                  moot point.
                  fixed it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X