Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Paper

Our local paper, the Amarillo Globe-News, is worthless.
    Yesterday Wt Softball finished our home season with a sweep of TWU.
    The Baseball team was also at home taking two from UTPB.
    All afternoon games well before the deadline for stories.

Not a word in the AGN. Not even a go our website for coverage.
    We got 1/2 a page on the Detroit Red Wings. WTH!!!

Does anybody out there get good coverage for their team??

Re: News Paper

Originally posted by WTAMU1975 View Post
    Our local paper, the Amarillo Globe-News, is worthless.
    Yesterday Wt Softball finished our home season with a sweep of TWU.
    The Baseball team was also at home taking two from UTPB.
    All afternoon games well before the deadline for stories.

Not a word in the AGN. Not even a go our website for coverage.
    We got 1/2 a page on the Detroit Red Wings. WTH!!!

Does anybody out there get good coverage for their team??
    You must be talking about the Amarillo edition of the Lubbock Avalanche Journal. One day last week, the front page headline, the sports page headline and the OpEd page headline were all Texas Tech. It's my understanding that the paper is being put together and printed in Lubbock. The Amarillo paper has about 1/2 of the bottom floor of what used to be the Chase tower. The old newspaper building is for sale! Someone please buy it and give us our own paper.

Also, try getting coverage of the Amarillo AA baseball team (I refuse to call them the "SP"s). Last Wednesday, they did not have the Texas League standings but they had the playoffs of every minor league hockey team in the country.

Also, the Wednesday after the Masters, they had nothing about the baseball team or the TL standings, but they had the Masters results through the top 50. Three days AFTER the Masters.

I have complained to the publisher, and he blew me off.

Does anyone know if Kale Steed is still with the paper? I haven't seen his by-line in a few days. He may just be on vacation.
    Last edited by GoBuffsGo; 04-20-2019, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Kale Steed resigned earlier this month.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffTough View Post
        The August pre-season high school football series ought to be good this year. Two sports reporters to hit every high school in the Panhandle.

Comment

San Angelo paper is just as bad. For the last couple of years they have just printed the ASU SI release as if it was done by the Standard Times.

I no longer advertise with them and I dropped my subscription. I tried the online version but it thakes 2/3 minutes for all of their adds to load before you can read an article.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffTough View Post
            Man where did he go? He actually kept pretty good knack of giving the conference as a whole coverage.
            I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

News Paper

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post
              San Angelo paper is just as bad. For the last couple of years they have just printed the ASU SI release as if it was done by the Standard Times.

I no longer advertise with them and I dropped my subscription. I tried the online version but it thakes 2/3 minutes for all of their adds to load before you can read an article.
              Same here with our local rag the Corpus Christi Caller Times or the CaCa Times as many call it. The San Angelo paper and the CaCa Times were part of the same media group which was bought out by USA Today ( I think the El Paso, Abilene and Wichita Falls papers were too) . It was already crap before then and it went deep septic tank like crap once USA Today took over. They fired the reporter who was the best sports reporter in South Texas. He was the TAMUK beat writer for many years and the high school beat and with that he had the historical knowledge which is essential for a good sports reporter. They replaced him with younger out of area folks who had no clue about the local sports scene. The so called journalism in the digital versions and the print versions is nothing but bullet point reporting and hardly any in-depth stuff unless they are on an agenda like rampage like covering one side of the immigration crisis on the border which is to make the US look bad while ignoring the flip side of the coin (IE the cost to Taxpayers, the criminal organizations who are behind the whole mess and Mexico's/Central America's lack of accountability just to get started).

TAMUK is lucky to get their own press releases published even on the online version of the rag. And I won't get into the political slant of the crap paper. Let's just say they are to the Democrat Party to what the old Soviet TASS or Pravda news agency was to the Soviet power structure during the Cold War. I think the Editor of the paper still has chapped lips thanks to all the ass kissing of Beto he, the reporters and the Editorial Board did during the last election.
              Last edited by LSC Fan; 04-21-2019, 09:48 AM.

Comment

This is a pretty scary thread. Houston used to have 2 newspapers, the superior Houston Post, which died about 20 years ago, and the Houston Chronicle which used to be okay until the Hearst Corporation bought it. Since then it has become ultra liberal and I haven't bought one in about 15 years. They even know not to throw me samples after I've told them to keep their liberal rag off my property.

I used to be a paperboy for AGN. Sorry to hear of their demise. There are very few decent newspapers left, and fewer reliable news networks.

Comment

Lol, some good laughs in here.

Comment

Comment

Personally I hate Twitter and hope ends up being another MySpace, sooner rather than later. It's helped foster a certain segment into thinking they are morally superior ( and if they get a blue check mark by their profile, their egos explode) than the rest of us unwashed hicks and bumpkins. They use it to charge, try and convict someone or a business they disagree without giving that object of their wrath a fair chance to be heard. Or if that person did indeed make mistake or did something that deserves to be taken to task, a chance to redeem him or herself. And if you become convict of Twitter mob, you get scarlet letter or whatever identifying, permanent mark of social disapproval which in today's world is flipped upside down in many areas and to the blue check mark mob, the heck with freedom of speech if you disagree. What started off as a good instant way of communication, is a giant pile of excrement.
                      Last edited by LSC Fan; 04-22-2019, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
                        Personally I hate Twitter and hope ends up being another MySpace, sooner rather than later. It's helped foster a certain segment into thinking they are morally superior ( and if they get a blue check mark by their profile, their egos explode) than the rest of us unwashed hicks and bumpkins. They use it to charge, try and convict someone or a business they disagree without giving that object of their wrath a fair chance to be heard. Or if that person did indeed make mistake or did something that deserves to be taken to task, a chance to redeem him or herself. And if you become convict of Twitter mob, you get scarlet letter or whatever identifying, permanent mark of social disapproval which in today's world is flipped upside down in many areas and to the blue check mark mob, the heck with freedom of speech if you disagree. What started off as a good instant way of communication, is a giant pile of excrement.
                        Freedom of speech might not mean what you think it means.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
                          Freedom of speech might not mean what you think it means.
                          Ok Einstein..... Educate us.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
                            Ok Einstein..... Educate us.
                            I mean, you don't need to be a genius to know your rights.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

I fail to see how this is being violated in your example.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
                              I mean, you don't need to be a genius to know your rights.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

I fail to see how this is being violated in your example.
                              I think he was implying spirit rather than rule of law.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X