Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

I have no special knowledge of hot seat/not hot seat.

Some questions are: will Hughes bring home the pork belly this year? We're going into year 5. Have expectations been met? Why should the covid year make any difference? If anything last season was a plus for the Buffs. They got 9 games in, more than any program in the division. Hughes has one of the top 3 stadiums in D2. The program is well funded. He's finally got a top-notch OC as well as DC (what I call Wagner). If he hasn't put it all together by this season, when?

Personally, the least I would find acceptable is 7-2 D2 record and a first round win in the playoffs. Less than that and McBroom may have to do some deep dive explaining if he decides to find a new HC. We understand. The casual fan may not.
    I am 100% agreement with you with the direction of the program. Its a put up or shut up year. Too many factors in the buffs favor to not be successful and make the playoffs this year.

There are several universities that have use the covid card in different sports to give coaches on the hot seat an extra year. That would be the only reason I could think of to keep him around especially if they regress this year.

Comment

I rewatched Hughes' interview after the Pittsburg State game. He seems like a really good guy, and he is a much better coach than Nesbitt. I would love to see him succeed.

Maybe this will be his year, but either way I'm not watching the NAIA games. Especially since I can watch D1 Powerhouse Tarleton mow down the exciting competition they will face in the fall. Teams like ACU, Dixie State, and New Mexico Highlands! WOW, I can hardly wait.

At least Tarleton's games are free online.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Spoken like a true politician. You are quick to point out how well Angelo is doing in any given year especially against WT but throw out the "I no longer care about ASU" response when its something negative. LOL.

Since you have missed the point several times my point is Tarleton would have likely been the second team again this year from the LSC in the playoffs just like in 2018 and 2019.

Commerce has been recruiting the same level athletes as Tarleton so is Commerce preparing to go division 1 as well?

Not "attacking" you or Angelo. Simply just banter. I know your game is to argue and try to get under peoples skin.
        *YAWN*

Go troll someone else. Lol.

Comment

I am 100% agreement with you with the direction of the program. Its a put up or shut up year. Too many factors in the buffs favor to not be successful and make the playoffs this year.

There are several universities that have use the covid card in different sports to give coaches on the hot seat an extra year. That would be the only reason I could think of to keep him around especially if they regress this year.
          Well, now to answer my own question. This season, if WT goes, 9-2, 7-2 D2, and misses the playoffs, I'd lay 5:1 odds that McBroom and Dr. Welder give Hunter another year. That 6th year Hughes will be on the HOT SEAT. The expected covid disclaimer will be trotted out but will be overshadowed by comments that (after five years) WT still has not made the playoffs since like forever. McBroom will publicly voice his disappointment (read displeasure).

Have no fear, McBroom already has his short list of preferred potential replacements in the lower left desk drawer, if year six does not bring a (2 game) NCAA run.

Comment

Well, now to answer my own question. This season, if WT goes, 9-2, 7-2 D2, and misses the playoffs, I'd lay 5:1 odds that McBroom and Dr. Welder give Hunter another year. That 6th year Hughes will be on the HOT SEAT. The expected covid disclaimer will be trotted out but will be overshadowed by comments that (after five years) WT still has not made the playoffs since like forever. McBroom will publicly voice his disappointment (read displeasure).

Have no fear, McBroom already has his short list of preferred potential replacements in the lower left desk drawer, if year six does not bring a (2 game) NCAA run.
            I hope so. I would love to see Hughes successful. Heard a lot of great things about the guy.

In my opinion this is one of many differences between D1 and D2. D1 from example university of Texas they have a millions of fans and donors that apply pressure and heat every year for a winner which is why Charlie Strong and Tom Herman only last a few years tops before their contract expires. WT most of the local loud fan base are probably on this message board. Real question would be if the Buffalo Club members would have pull to withhold donations until a coach is dismissed? Not advocating for that at all but curious how that would work if most of the donors at the D2 level were dissatisfied with a particular coach?

Comment

I hope so. I would love to see Hughes successful. Heard a lot of great things about the guy.

In my opinion this is one of many differences between D1 and D2. D1 from example university of Texas they have a millions of fans and donors that apply pressure and heat every year for a winner which is why Charlie Strong and Tom Herman only last a few years tops before their contract expires. WT most of the local loud fan base are probably on this message board. Real question would be if the Buffalo Club members would have pull to withhold donations until a coach is dismissed? Not advocating for that at all but curious how that would work if most of the donors at the D2 level were dissatisfied with a particular coach?
              I highly doubt any WT donor has much, if any input, into the hiring/firing of coaches. There are a few million dollar scholarship donors, a small group of donors in the $100,000 range, and several handfuls of those doing $5,000-$10,000 a year. I doubt any one of those has the pull to influence McBroom or Dr. Wendler. McB will fairly listen, but he charts his own course.

McBroom has proven ability/knack to pick good coaches whose programs compete for national D2 prominence. Hopefully year 5 of the Hunter Hughes will finally get WT football over the NCAA playoff hump.
              Last edited by BuffaloChip; 06-24-2021, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Taking the 3-3 COVID cluster-fauck out of the equation, this would be his 4th regular season. He needs to better his results for sure. 3-8 2017; 6-5 2018; 8-3 2019; 3-3 2020. They really should be 10-1 based on the competition on their schedule in 2021. And NO WAY they are any less than 9-2, even if 2nd string plays ALL SEASON. LOL. I am pretty sure they are 10-1....and hey, they could be 11-0 if they pull an upset.

It appears as though the 2021 schedule was created to ensure Hughes stays around. Only three exciting games in my opinion.

Comment

Agree with the record assessment.

9-2 with 2 LSC losses puts WT in a position of tiebreakers with a second or third place team from the NSIC for the 7th seed.

A loss to Colorado Mines puts them in trouble for any tiebreakers head to head regionally if the 7th seed becomes an issue.

Main games are Colorado Mines and Angelo State. They go 0-2 in those games their season is toast. I am already assuming Commerce is a loss in most situations.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Taking the 3-3 COVID cluster-fauck out of the equation, this would be his 4th regular season. He needs to better his results for sure. 3-8 2017; 6-5 2018; 8-3 2019; 3-3 2020. They really should be 10-1 based on the competition on their schedule in 2021. And NO WAY they are any less than 9-2, even if 2nd string plays ALL SEASON. LOL. I am pretty sure they are 10-1....and hey, they could be 11-0 if they pull an upset.

It appears as though the 2021 schedule was created to ensure Hughes stays around. Only three exciting games in my opinion.
                    I have had the same thought. They did the same for Nesbitt.

I'm thinking 9-2 is the best they will do, hope I'm wrong. The team barely got by Kingsville and UTPB in the 8-3 year. Both wins were by 4 points. Our losses that year were to Tarleton, Angelo, and Commerce. At least we won't lose to Tarleton this year.

I understand why we scheduled crummy teams last year because games were hard to come by. I was glad they scheduled SFA and ACU, though the latter didn't happen. I think we could have beaten them. The team can learn from playing much better teams, but they will learn little from playing NAIA teams.

Comment

Agree with the record assessment.

9-2 with 2 LSC losses puts WT in a position of tiebreakers with a second or third place team from the NSIC for the 7th seed.

A loss to Colorado Mines puts them in trouble for any tiebreakers head to head regionally if the 7th seed becomes an issue.

Main games are Colorado Mines and Angelo State. They go 0-2 in those games their season is toast. I am already assuming Commerce is a loss in most situations.
                      Agree 100%.

Three key games will be Mines, TAMUC. and Angelo. The Buffs are positioned well, as the most important games of their season are all at HOME!

I think the LSC should be a dog fight between TAMUC & WT....with possibly some noise from Angelo.

Comment

If Hughes finds improved performance on the DL, I think the Buffs will be in the thick of things. Bigger, stronger NT,DT play and edge guys that can help defend the run and raise some hell in the backfield is a must. I've had a hard time erasing the memory of ASU's big beefy OL manhandling our DL last year. Hughes has had plenty of time to recruit those positions. Now it's critical to get production from the DL if WT is to compete for the LSC championship.

Having Russ Martin back for his 2nd year as OC and QB Nick Gerber back for his 3rd starting season, should have the offense purring along at 30 plus per game average.
                        Last edited by BuffaloChip; 06-25-2021, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Agree 100%.

Three key games will be Mines, TAMUC. and Angelo. The Buffs are positioned well, as the most important games of their season are all at HOME!

I think the LSC should be a dog fight between TAMUC & WT....with possibly some noise from Angelo.
                          For some reason, the back of my mind can't get WT's 2nd game, at UTPB, out of my dwindling gray matter. "Trap game, trap game, trap game" says Deputy Fife in his high nasal pitch..

Comment

For some reason, the back of my mind can't get WT's 2nd game, at UTPB, out of my dwindling gray matter. "Trap game, trap game, trap game" says Deputy Fife in his high nasal pitch..
                            I was thinking the same thing on previous posts. Shouldn't be a trap game since you have two turd games bookending that game. UTPB is much improved but that is a game WT should win if we think and hope where they are at this point of the "rebuild". If WT loses that game then Hughes needs to run the table or start packing up the office early after the Commerce game.

Comment

WT can make plenty of errors and still blow out the NAIA teams. Playing UTPB will be a shock after that first game. Sloppy won't get it done.

I looked at Commerce's schedule. No NAIA teams. They are playing U of Fort Lauderdale, a D1 team, but I doubt they are that great.

Pittsburg State has no NAIA teams on their schedule either. Angelo is playing Simon Fraser, which is almost a bye, but at least they are a D2 team.

Even the Peccaries have a tougher schedule than WT. The only questionable team they are playing is Lincoln University in Oakland, a school of less than 600 students. I couldn't find out what affiliation they have, so it's probably none.

It's sad that WT has to pad their schedule with joke teams.

Comment

Hahahahahahahahaha

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X