• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
    21-13 CSM as they move at will.
    Is this the final score?

Comment

Yes.

Last edited by WT_TKW; 09-25-2021, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Yikes. Looks like one more D2 loss should seal Hughes fate with WT.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
          Yikes. Looks like one more D2 loss should seal Hughes fate with WT.
          Nobody really expected WT to win this game, though I felt like it was possible. The 2nd half was all CSM though. They aren't that impressive, but they can grind it out until the defense gets tired. In our case the offense sputtered the entire second half. You won't win many games with 13 points. One of the field goals was set up by Tobias' pick.

It does seem like the other LSC teams are all improving. ENMU scored 21 in the 4th quarter against MSU before losing in OT. Kingsville is better. It's going to be a long season.

Comment

Congrats to CSM they played a great game. I personally believe WT could have and should have won the game. The offense never seemed to get rolling and would kill themselves with penalties. CSM did not have better or bigger athletes than WT. WT was just out coached. For example right before halftime when WT had all the momentum with 2 minutes left they decided to run out the clock on the 50 yard line with all their timeouts remaining, dumbest thing I have seen all season. Seems like CSM made adjustments at half and WT didn't. My buddy and I were texting back and forth about CSM running the same play over and over again and WT failing to adjust.

It was very interesting listening from the stands. My wife and I were close enough to hear the coaches. Great position coaching on technique and where they should have been but horrible adjustments to the actual scheme and formation we were running.

I like Hughes but unless they win out I don't see another year for him. With the kind of resources that WT invests in the football program I just don't see another 500 season being adequate. Of course I believe WT is making some major missteps right now with their athletic program. WT is being left behind by their peers and everyone at the school seems okay with that. I have heard that WT did in fact receive an invite from the WAC and the Southland but rejected both. It just doesn't make sense. We can't even fill up a schedule with full D2 games and our conference keeps getting smaller and smaller. Anyways that's a topic for another day.

Congrats to CSM and lets hope WT can get some wins this season.

Comment

Hmmmmm.You think this is Hughes final year??

Comment

Let's be real here. Mines is a good team but not the #5 team. They are a handful of teams that are over ranked every year and get smoked the first round. This year won't be an exception. This is a team that a Carthel coached team would have rolled by 21+ points in the past.

One of the posters above said it perfectly. WT coaches cannot make adjustments against average or better teams.

Simply put if the WT athletic director is OK with Medicore results and a half filled stadium then nothing will change. If you are looking for playoffs Hughes isn't the guy. The covid excuse no longer exists and hasn't affected UTPB and MSU.

Comment

Let's be real here. Mines is a good team but not the #5 team. They are a handful of teams that are over ranked every year and get smoked the first round. This year won't be an exception. This is a team that a Carthel coached team would have rolled by 21+ points in the past.

One of the posters above said it perfectly. WT coaches cannot make adjustments against average or better teams.

Simply put if the WT athletic director is OK with Medicore results and a half filled stadium then nothing will change. If you are looking for playoffs Hughes isn't the guy. The covid excuse no longer exists and hasn't affected UTPB and MSU.
                  Or Angelo.

But covid is effecting UTPB @ SFU. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                    Hmmmmm.You think this is Hughes final year??
                    I do. If WT can manage to win out.... then he will have shown the growth needed to win the close games and he will stay. Problem is .... WT has to win out. With ASU, Commerce and MSU still on the schedule it is going to be difficult.

Comment

The official attendance was 7398 but I agree, the stadium looked about half full. Maybe the other 2500 fans were in the restroom.

It seemed to me the WT players were pretty down when they took the field in the second half. I would be interested to know what Hughes said to them at halftime. Hughes is probably a great coordinator, but as we have seen too many times at all levels, being a great coordinator does not mean one will be a successful head coach. Don Carthel could do wonders with the talent we have.

We need an AD who knows and loves football, and that's not McBroom. We didn't need a new stadium, we need better coaches than Nesbitt and Hughes. McBroom would be okay for a nonfootball school. I know many of you disagree, but as Pops says "it's FOOTBALL FOOTBALL FOOTBALL softball". ;)

Comment

Originally posted by BuffTough View Post
                        Congrats to CSM they played a great game. I personally believe WT could have and should have won the game. The offense never seemed to get rolling and would kill themselves with penalties. CSM did not have better or bigger athletes than WT. WT was just out coached. For example right before halftime when WT had all the momentum with 2 minutes left they decided to run out the clock on the 50 yard line with all their timeouts remaining, dumbest thing I have seen all season. Seems like CSM made adjustments at half and WT didn't. My buddy and I were texting back and forth about CSM running the same play over and over again and WT failing to adjust.

It was very interesting listening from the stands. My wife and I were close enough to hear the coaches. Great position coaching on technique and where they should have been but horrible adjustments to the actual scheme and formation we were running.

I like Hughes but unless they win out I don't see another year for him. With the kind of resources that WT invests in the football program I just don't see another 500 season being adequate. Of course I believe WT is making some major missteps right now with their athletic program. WT is being left behind by their peers and everyone at the school seems okay with that. I have heard that WT did in fact receive an invite from the WAC and the Southland but rejected both. It just doesn't make sense. We can't even fill up a schedule with full D2 games and our conference keeps getting smaller and smaller. Anyways that's a topic for another day.

Congrats to CSM and lets hope WT can get some wins this season.

Comment

There are 17 juniors and 7 seniors on the team. However, remember that COVID gave all of these an extra year.

I agree with you about Hughes, though I haven't met him. He seemed like a good choice (unlike his predecessor), but just hasn't worked out. His choice of offensive coordinators has been bad 2 out of 3 times, and the good one only stayed a year.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	WT 2 deep.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	605055

This was WT 2 deep roster for game last night. Pretty young team but youth was not the reason for the loss against Mines.....

Comment

Originally posted by El Tamaraw View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	WT 2 deep.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	605055

This was WT 2 deep roster for game last night. Pretty young team but youth was not the reason for the loss against Mines.....

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
                                Yes.

I have looked at this picture multiple times and wanted to comment. This photo clearly illustrates the frustrations of the 2nd half of the game. 1,000 words in a single photo.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X