Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://javelinaathletics.com/news/2...-for-2019.aspx

SMH..... Get busy TAMUK administration. SMH....

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

My only hope is that we aren't going to spend any money on a temporary "patch" if in the event we may have a larger plan. Again, this my hope. I haven't seen anything but based on what others have said, it appears there is capital budget money for athletic facilities. Hopefully, stadium renovations is part of package..

Comment

Originally posted by '89HOG View Post

My only hope is that we aren't going to spend any money on a temporary "patch" if in the event we may have a larger plan. Again, this my hope. I haven't seen anything but based on what others have said, it appears there is capital budget money for athletic facilities. Hopefully, stadium renovations is part of package..
        If you look at the recent A&M system budget, it is not there for this coming fiscal year. It's more of a wish list entry for future years as just like a new arena is on A&M CC's wish list.

This whole section of stadium should have been replaced decades ago. And if not back then, a few years ago when a fan fell from a few rows up during a high school playoff game. The facilities should have been updated in stages starting with that whole west grandstand and press box along with replacing the press box on the east side and then locker rooms/training facilities, so the costs could have been absorbed better as well as getting a better value for our bucks. It's just damn disappointing how badly mismanaged our football program has been by the administration, it hard to see if a light is at the end of tunnel. That doesn't even take into account the play on the field which makes the tunnel a pitch black as dark can be.

Comment

You should shoot a letter to AD and School President and let them know if they cannot do any better than closing off sections of the stadium that are unsafe it would be better to just play all games away from Kingsville. Pitiful, I mean pitiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

You should shoot a letter to AD and School President and let them know if they cannot do any better than closing off sections of the stadium that are unsafe it would be better to just play all games away from Kingsville. Pitiful, I mean pitiful.
            Last edited by LSC Fan; 08-27-2019, 10:43 AM.

Comment

it is a freaking embarrassment. When this first came out, I was how can this not be fixed by now. If it is because they are planning on renovations, they need to announce that (doubt it though). If they want more donations to the Athletics department, they need to also indicate what their future plans are, if not no one will care or should care.

Comment

Originally posted by javs26 View Post

it is a freaking embarrassment. When this first came out, I was how can this not be fixed by now. If it is because they are planning on renovations, they need to announce that (doubt it though). If they want more donations to the Athletics department, they need to also indicate what their future plans are, if not no one will care or should care.
                That's exactly on target. No one knows publicly if they are part of the capital campaign which is on going which was to generate $100 million for university. See here

https://www.javelinagiving.org/withoutlimits/about

It says $15 million for facilities. But if they have to be spread out among other programs both on the academic and athletic side, it's probably not going to put much funding into the football facilities. I would guess based on what similar schools have done to bring their stadiums and training facilities into this century, we probably need somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 to $30 million. This would include a total rebuild of the west stands with amenities such as suites, a new locker room / training facility and complete replacement of the "real press box" on the east side with renovations to the current locker room to accommodate the visiting team so they are not using the SPEC lockers. If our administration had been proactive the last decade and done these things in stages, this would not be an issue needing to be addressed today.

Why can't our braintrust just look at what others in our conference and elsewhere have done to raise capital for the what needs to be done? Many of them have fundraising drives which are targeted for a goal and they go after it. Usually they start with watercolor concepts of what facility they want and a budget and off with the fundraising it goes. It's really not that hard of a concept to understand and implement. I recall when we played WTAM up at Jerryworld and they gave each school several opportunities to play PR spots on the Jumbotron, WTAM chose to broadcast their plans for the athletic facilities. What did we show? Some cartoon animated thing about a student finding him or herself at TAMUK. Who was smarter using the big stage that night? Oh and yea we proceeded to get our butts whipped on the field too.

We don't know what is going to transpire on the actual field this year. I hope we have a winning season and end up 7-4 or better. That would show remarkable improvement from last year for sure and probably save the jobs for the current staff. It would also allow the current staff to use facility improvements to market the program if our administration would go all in and build on it and make that 7-4 not just a bleep, but the beginig of a trend. But if end up back in the bottom of the barrel, then we also need to use facility improvements for the same reason and it will take on even more importance.

It's up to the school to sound the alarm and get people involved. This weeks Javelina Highlights again had a clip about improvements at another D2 school with a mention of Commerce and their locker room plans. Does anybody read this and ever ask the question about why we are not reading about improvements at our own facilities? Or is it because the school never brings up the need and everyone just assumes everything is fine and nothing to see here? This kind of lack of focus is just going to keep the making the game of catch up so much harder and we should know better as institution away from the athletic side, playing catch up is not easy and very expensive.

Comment

I don't think I've ever been so ho hum about an upcoming season of Javelina football.

Even the season we took the 80 point whooping from Tarleton, I was a little more pumped at this time.

Comment

It's up to the school to sound the alarm and get people involved. This weeks Javelina Highlights again had a clip about improvements at another D2 school with a mention of Commerce and their locker room plans. Does anybody read this and ever ask the question about why we are not reading about improvements at our own facilities? Or is it because the school never brings up the need and everyone just assumes everything is fine and nothing to see here? This kind of lack of focus is just going to keep the making the game of catch up so much harder and we should know better as institution away from the athletic side, playing catch up is not easy and very expensive.
                    Your comments reminded me of the lyrics to this song. We got somethin', we both know it We don't talk too much about it Ain't no real big secret all the same Somehow we get around it. I am sure you know the song. It's the ELEPHANT sitting in the same room that no one wants to acknowledge. At least you are the squeaky wheel bearing getting louder. Eventually someone is going to get irritated and get up and start doing something. The other alternative is something no diehards won't to hear.

As far as Javelina football this season, some improvement over a year ago but still midling at best.

Comment

I don't think I've ever been so ho hum about an upcoming season of Javelina football.

Even the season we took the 80 point whooping from Tarleton, I was a little more pumped at this time.
                      Couldn't agree more....

Comment

That's exactly on target. No one knows publicly if they are part of the capital campaign which is on going which was to generate $100 million for university. See here

https://www.javelinagiving.org/withoutlimits/about

It says $15 million for facilities. But if they have to be spread out among other programs both on the academic and athletic side, it's probably not going to put much funding into the football facilities. I would guess based on what similar schools have done to bring their stadiums and training facilities into this century, we probably need somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 to $30 million. This would include a total rebuild of the west stands with amenities such as suites, a new locker room / training facility and complete replacement of the "real press box" on the east side with renovations to the current locker room to accommodate the visiting team so they are not using the SPEC lockers. If our administration had been proactive the last decade and done these things in stages, this would not be an issue needing to be addressed today.

Why can't our braintrust just look at what others in our conference and elsewhere have done to raise capital for the what needs to be done? Many of them have fundraising drives which are targeted for a goal and they go after it. Usually they start with watercolor concepts of what facility they want and a budget and off with the fundraising it goes. It's really not that hard of a concept to understand and implement. I recall when we played WTAM up at Jerryworld and they gave each school several opportunities to play PR spots on the Jumbotron, WTAM chose to broadcast their plans for the athletic facilities. What did we show? Some cartoon animated thing about a student finding him or herself at TAMUK. Who was smarter using the big stage that night? Oh and yea we proceeded to get our butts whipped on the field too.

We don't know what is going to transpire on the actual field this year. I hope we have a winning season and end up 7-4 or better. That would show remarkable improvement from last year for sure and probably save the jobs for the current staff. It would also allow the current staff to use facility improvements to market the program if our administration would go all in and build on it and make that 7-4 not just a bleep, but the beginig of a trend. But if end up back in the bottom of the barrel, then we also need to use facility improvements for the same reason and it will take on even more importance.

It could be that people don't actually contact admin at the university to actually find out what's going on and what they can do to help.

Discussion on a message board is not going to change anything.
                        Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post

It could be that people don't actually contact admin at the university to actually find out what's going on and what they can do to help.

When a program has a significant and long term downturn............

with attendance at games.

with the W/L record

with overall media and general interest (IE not even the LSC columnist with his first post on here acknowledged us)

I don't think it's up to the "people" to drum up interest?

It should be 'the people" in the administration and athletic department to ask what we are doing wrong and what others are doing right. Then it should be up to them to in turn ask the same "people' to get on board with a solution. And I am talking about asking and involving new people in this discussion . You know, the people who have been sounding the alarm for several years even when times were somewhat good to be proactive instead of reactive. Unfortunately, EVERYTHING we do now has to be from a reactive position. I don't necessarily like the fact "bling" has to be part of the marketing package. But that cat is long out of the bag and will never be put back in the bag as long as schools who are serious about competitive football programs keep spending the cash.

We are kind of like what players in automotive industry go through from time to time. A particular model of car they produce might be a best seller from year after year. But once in a while it hits a plateau or even loses market share and what a responsible leadership team will do is ask itself what is driving the consumers away and what can be done to bring them back. And sometimes it involves almost doing the same thing as your competitor is doing with some tweaks. Those who have adapted this strategy have survived, albeit they take some lumps. While those who don't either end up bankrupt and/or seeking bailouts. Or out of business in total.
                          Last edited by LSC Fan; 09-04-2019, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post

What's going on is the same thing that has been going on for years.....NOTHING. The Admin and AD would have to live under a rock not to see the stadium is decaying and falling apart before their eyes. Its one thing to close off a section of the stadium with the announcement of coming improvements. Its quite another to just make an announcement of closing a section of the stadium due to a storm with no mention of a resolution.

Whether people are talking on the board or around campus or around town IS A SIGN THAT SOMETHING NEEDS TO DONE. Its actually good people are talking because it shows they care. Those that stay quiet on the subject shows apathy.

Comment

When a program has a significant and long term downturn............

with attendance at games.

with the W/L record

with overall media and general interest (IE not even the LSC columnist with his first post on here acknowledged us)

I don't think it's up to the "people" to drum up interest?

It should be 'the people" in the administration and athletic department to ask what we are doing wrong and what others are doing right. Then it should be up to them to in turn ask the same "people' to get on board with a solution which in this case is not diagnose some of what is causing the illness. . And I am talking about asking and involving new people in this discussion . You know, the people who have been sounding the alarm for several years even when times were somewhat good to be proactive instead of reactive. Unfortunately, EVERYTHING we do now has to be from a reactive position. I don't necessarily like the fact "bling" has to be part of the marketing package. But that cat is long out of the bag and will never be put back in the bag as long as schools who are serious about competitive football programs keep spending the cash.

If you really want answers, or what can be done to help ...

[email protected]
                              361-593-2800

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

What's going on is the same thing that has been going on for years.....NOTHING. The Admin and AD would have to live under a rock not to see the stadium is decaying and falling apart before their eyes. Its one thing to close off a section of the stadium with the announcement of coming improvements. Its quite another to just make an announcement of closing a section of the stadium due to a storm with no mention of a resolution.

Whether people are talking on the board or around campus or around town IS A SIGN THAT SOMETHING NEEDS TO DONE. Its actually good people are talking because it shows they care. Those that stay quiet on the subject shows apathy.

Talking directly with the source is a better way than only bloviating on a message board that a small handful of people visit.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X