Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait till next year!!

As I was leaving Buffalo Stadium last night the refrain was almost audible. "Wait till next year!"

Wait for what?? Another year of so-so football? Another year of "would of - could of - should of?"
    Last night's win just served to make the record look better while giving a glimmer of hope.
    Yes, Wt was a very young team this year. According to the roster we have 17 Jr's who should return as Sr's.

Our current coaching staff has given no indication they can mentally prepare a team to win.
    The x's & o's don't appear to be our strong suit. The only improvement was in our non-existent kicking game. (couldn't get worse)
    The only reason Wt might be relevant next year is Commerce is leaving a void that will be filled.

There is talk of a new Football only conference. With the schools being mentioned, Wt is still firmly in the middle of the pack.
    The Wt administration is in a no-win situation. The options are 1) keep doing the same thing and hope for improvement
    2) Start over - again.

Unfortunately, the "Wait till next year" refrain will still ring hollow.
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

;-)
    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

They should let Hughes go and hire Russ Martin. I know what your gonna say. If he was any good they would be better on offense. I get the feeling that he is being hand-cuffed by a defensive minded head coach. He is a proven head coach that won at school with limited resources. He would have way more resources than he had at Mesa. Won't happen but I bet you would be pleasantly surprised by the results.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
        They should let Hughes go and hire Russ Martin. I know what your gonna say. If he was any good they would be better on offense. I get the feeling that he is being hand-cuffed by a defensive minded head coach. He is a proven head coach that won at school with limited resources. He would have way more resources than he had at Mesa. Won't happen but I bet you would be pleasantly surprised by the results.
        Martin is 67-61 (.553) as a HC.

Hughes is 26-23 (.531) as a HC

So, I guess Martin is technically "better"....but still mediocre.

Comment

" If he was any good they would be better on offense." Martin is the first guy that needs to go. The OC we had 2 years ago had things humming. Hughes was the coach then. Since then the offense has spiraled down. I hope Martin has a one-way flight booked for Saturday evening.

Comment

In the last couple of years the LSC has lost Tarleton and is losing Commerce. They have gained Western New Mexico and will be gaining Central Washington, Western Oregon, and Simon Frazier. Overall the LSC has become a weaker conference the last several years. Then throw in ACU leaving there too.

If WT can't be a playoff contender in 2022 and beyond with this set up then I don't know what to say that has already been said or suggested....

Comment

I love when people use career records to evaluate head coaches and don't consider the situation the coach inherited.
              Josh Lynn was hired from ENMU to the University of Nebraska-Kearney the same year as Hughes. BTW he finished 2nd in the interview process to Hughes
              Hughes 26-23 Inherited a program that hadn't had a losing season in god knows how long. 4 years removed from going 3 rounds deep in the play-offs.
              Lynn 25-21 inherited a program that won one game in the two prior years. Lynn has UNK on the cusp of a playoff berth in the toughest league in the country.
              They are basically the same right??
              Career Record is the worst possible metric to evaluate a head coach.

Comment

I love when people use career records to evaluate head coaches and don't consider the situation the coach inherited.
                Josh Lynn was hired from ENMU to the University of Nebraska-Kearney the same year as Hughes. BTW he finished 2nd in the interview process to Hughes
                Hughes 26-23 Inherited a program that hadn't had a losing season in god knows how long. 4 years removed from going 3 rounds deep in the play-offs.
                Lynn 25-21 inherited a program that won one game in the two prior years. Lynn has UNK on the cusp of a playoff berth in the toughest league in the country.
                The current situation is that Wt is fully funded and has the best stadium in D2. The team has good community support. The other sports at Wt are competitive at the regional and national levels.
                The football team is the least successful team on campus. Hughes may not be the reason, however, he is the head coach. It's simply time for a change. I would hope there is a change in the OC
                at the very least.
                The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

I DISAGREE.

A winner is a winner is a winner. PERIOD!

NEXT.....

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

I DISAGREE.

NEXT.....
                    Only thing I will add is some head coaches just hit a wall on the march through the ranks.

Recently the huge number of mid major coaches that get a Power 5 Job and then get kick in the nuts after a few years. Doesn't mean they cant go back down and recapture their winning ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Only thing I will add is some head coaches just hit a wall on the march through the ranks.

Recently the huge number of mid major coaches that get a Power 5 Job and then get kick in the nuts after a few years. Doesn't mean they cant go back down and recapture their winning ways.
                      IMHO, IF they are TRUE WINNERS, they will not lose anywhere.

The problem, VERY few HCs are TRUE WINNERS.

Comment

Comment

IMHO, IF they are TRUE WINNERS, they will not lose anywhere.

The problem, VERY few HCs are TRUE WINNERS.
                          Could Nick Saban win the BIG 12 as the Kansas head coach with their current talent?

Comment

I DISAGREE.

NEXT.....
                            Winning is somewhat relevant. I wouldn't necessarily say records of 23-21, 25-21, or 67-61 are stunningly a "winner." Yes, they are a winning record. However, at WT, 23-21 doesn't cut it in the Win Column. Now, I would certainly call 34-10, 35-11, or 100-28 records "winning" records. For the investments WT has made in FB, we should find the coach that can make that 100-28 happen. Period.

100-28 at WT is what I would call a "winner."

Jason Garrett was a "winner." But, was he?

Comment

Could Nick Saban win the BIG 12 as the Kansas head coach with their current talent?
                              Could Vince Lombardi win a championship with 7 players on the field??? That's not even a real question. It's a manipulated question.

Could Nick Saban take rhe HC job at Kansas and build a winning program? 100% ABSOLUTELY YES.

A WINNER IS A WINNER IS A WINNER.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X