Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

If this was next year, 2 teams got in but one has to go play NW Missouri this weekend. Good luck to both teams in the playoffs now I suppose, even if we are still in the GNAC for this game.

I have to wonder though how the GNAC schools will schedule out of conference. Will one be RMAC and one an FCS money game to pay for the added travel?
    I believe the RMAC schools have 2 OOC games, so that is a good option for both conference's schools to schedule 11 D2 games if they so choose.
    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hayden Fox View Post
      This move is going to seriously damage WTs ability to schedule NAIA games.
      LOL!!! That was a really good zinger. Unfortunately a lot truth in that comment as well. Oh well there is always next year for Hughes & Co.

Comment

If this was next year, 2 teams got in but one has to go play NW Missouri this weekend. Good luck to both teams in the playoffs now I suppose, even if we are still in the GNAC for this game.

I have to wonder though how the GNAC schools will schedule out of conference. Will one be RMAC and one an FCS money game to pay for the added travel?
        That would make sense. The LSC gives you 9 D2 games (for now). Scheduling Colorado Mesa and Western Colorado would be the closest teams?

Too bad the MIAA and NSIC have the silo schedule. The western tier of cities in those conferences wouldn't be too bad of a trip.

Comment

WT could currently defeat SFU but not the others, so yes we will need a couple of NAIA teams to make our record look better next year.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
            WT could currently defeat SFU but not the others, so yes we will need a couple of NAIA teams to make our record look better next year.
            Considering this likely means more home games for SFU (2 this season), I'm hoping that they can use that to build up their recruiting and improve similar to the last year Dixie State and SD Mines were in the GNAC and SFU was middle of the pack.

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
              Thanks for taking us in. More travel yeah. But it makes sense to make a complete conference for football. And btw, Ellensburg, WA has a pretty good rodeo. So I feel like we are LSC worthy! Not sure about them Canadians though!

Comment

There are still 2 additional games for those. Why though not an FCS game?

A side effect though is only the RMAC will be in region for non-conference games with the NSIC's silo scheduling.
                Not to mention the Texas schools can't play neighboring teams in Arkansas or Oklahoma because of the respective silo scheduling in the GAC and MIAA.

The only other non-conference "in-region" opponent for the Texas LSC schools would be (unless this has changed recently) Delta State or Mississippi College (which, as I recall, was a loophole because there aren't any D2 schools in Louisiana, which sits between Mississippi and Texas).

The New Mexico and West Coast LSC schools end up getting hurt by this merger as far as non-conference "in region" games, short of adding RMAC schools, but, when you think about it, the RMAC is probably going to be in need of in-region OOC games too (though Chadron State could play a GLVC team from Missouri since Nebraska does border Missouri).

That said, does anyone think the NSIC's "silo scheduling" scheme is sustainable in the long term? Because if/when Augustana ultimately moves to D1 (and whether or not that's going to happen appears to be up in the air), that's going to leave the NSIC with 13 schools and a scheduling headache. Maybe there's the possibility of NSIC non-conference games in the long run, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                  I don't know if the NCAA is considering a region realignment, but I think this makes the most geographical and numerical sense:

1: MEC, NE10, PSAC
                  2: CIAA, GSC, SAC, SIAC
                  3: GLIAC, GLVC, GMAC, NSIC
                  4: GAC, LSC, MIAA, RMAC
                  Breaking this down by the numbers (using 2021 season conference membership):

SR1: MEC (12) + NE10 (9) + PSAC (16) + IND (2 - Bluefield (WV) State and Post (CT)) = 39
                  SR2: CIAA (12) + GSC (8) + SAC (9) + SIAC (13) + IND (2 - Barton and Erskine) = 44
                  SR3: GLIAC (8) + GLVC (8) + GMAC (8) + NSIC (14) = 38
                  SR4: GAC (12) + LSC (10*) + MIAA (12) + RMAC (10) = 44

* - This factors in the addition of Central Washington, Simon Fraser and Western Oregon, and the departure of TAMU-Commerce to the FCS Southland.

Compare that to the current Super Regional scheme:

SR1: GMAC (8) + MEC (12) + NE10 (9) + PSAC (16) + IND (2) = 47
                  SR2: CIAA (12) + GSC (8) + SAC (9) + SIAC (13) + IND (2) = 44
                  SR3: GAC (12) + GLIAC (8) + GLVC (8) + MIAA (12) = 40
                  SR4: GNAC (3) + LSC (8) + NSIC (14) + RMAC (10) = 35

I think your proposal is logical from a balancing the regions standpoint, but I can see why a lot of LSC posters aren't too thrilled with being in the same SR as the MIAA (though, I'm pretty sure there was a lot of complaining when the LSC was in the same SR as the pre-contraction GLIAC - pick your poison, NW Missouri or Grand Valley/Ferris). Especially when you consider that within the past 5-6 years alone, SR4 has lost Azusa Pacific and Humboldt State from the GNAC (both due to the programs being cut), the LSC lost Tarleton State to FCS and will lose Commerce to FCS next season (though, if you wanna get technical, LSC football also lost Oklahoma Panhandle to the NAIA and McMurry to D3, but that might be splitting hairs a smidge), the NSIC lost St. Cloud State and Minnesota-Crookston to program cuts, and the RMAC lost Utah Tech (the artists formerly known as Dixie State) to FCS.

Also, keep in mind that:

SR1 added several former GLIAC schools who defected to the GMAC, which was the reason for the most recent realignment (GMAC from SR3 to SR1, CIAA from SR1 to SR2, GLIAC and GLVC(?) from SR4 to SR3, and GNAC and NSIC from SR3 to SR4 - please correct me if I'm mistaken, but it's been a few years and my memory isn't what it used to be).
                  SR2 lost North Alabama to FCS, Florida Tech to program elimination and at least one or two SIAC schools to either NAIA demotion or elimination of athletics. They have, however, added Barton and Erskine this season and are expected to add another SAC program (Anderson) within a couple years, plus current D3 Emory & Henry.

Super Region 4 dropping from 41 schools to 35 in a matter of a few years is enough of a reason to say that a regional realignment in D2 football is in order. What might be another wild card, however, is the potential future sponsorship of football by Conference Carolinas, which currently has Barton (SAC), Chowan (CIAA), Erskine (SAC), UNC Pembroke (MEC) and North Greenville (GSC) playing in different conferences. All ConfCar needs is one more football school, whether it's a full member or an affiliate member (hello, Bluefield State) and that potentially shifts the regional balance (SR1 drops to 37, SR2 grows to 46). Do you move ConfCar into SR1 in order to balance the regions out (giving SR1 43 schools and SR2 40)?

If it doesn't take place next year, then I wouldn't be shocked to see a regional realignment by 2023 or 2024 at the latest.
                  Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by the tav View Post

Good thing is we can wear our Ropers in Texas and blend in better with the locals than in Burnaby or Monmouth. I'm curious to see if we do any early season basketball or baseball tournaments with LSC in the future.
                    I wouldn't be surprised to see WT make an invite to those GNAC teams for our early season or Thanksgiving tournaments.

Comment

What about a 2023 (week 3) weekend in Denver, where the teams meet? A la the old LSC Showdown at Jerry's world. I always enjoyed that. Big time.

Everybody could schedule 2 non-cons week 1 and 2. Weather should be great in Denver. Travel less expensive.

Just an interesting (to me) idea.

Hey, the GNAC teams could even play twice that weekend. Yeah, baby!

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
                        Thanks for taking us in. More travel yeah. But it makes sense to make a complete conference for football. And btw, Ellensburg, WA has a pretty good rodeo. So I feel like we are LSC worthy! Not sure about them Canadians though!

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                          What about a 2023 (week 3) weekend in Denver, where the teams meet? A la the old LSC Showdown at Jerry's world. I always enjoyed that. Big time.

Everybody could schedule 2 non-cons week 1 and 2. Weather should be great in Denver. Travel less expensive.

Just an interesting (to me) idea.

Hey, the GNAC teams could even play twice that weekend. Yeah, baby!

They could probably do the same in Seattle if wanted. Have SFU there and CWU as the "hosting" teams. CWU used to do this in the past.

Comment

They could probably do the same in Seattle if wanted. Have SFU there and CWU as the "hosting" teams. CWU used to do this in the past.
                            Yep. One year in Seattle. Next year in Canyon.

Comment

Love the idea! Let it happen!

Comment

Not sure if this would be feasible but have a schedule where the visiting team plays Saturday and the following Thursday in the same region. For example WT and Angelo travel to the Pacific Northwest to play Central Washington and Western Oregon. Play Saturday and then switch up the matchup for Thursday. You are already used to the time zone and can have a few practice days before the next game. The hotel room stay would be more expensive but would cut down on an extra bus/airplane trip for the season. Travel back home and have 9 days before the next game.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X