Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well SFA was easy to keep up with since I couldnt stand SFA and SHSU being an Islanders fan.

Its all depends on timing and your location. I remember Florida Gulf Coast admission applications and enrollments skyrocketing after their sweet 16 run. Corpus got some awesome advertising back in 2007 when they went and during the play in game.

Places with attractive campuses can parlay that a bit. Its a hard sell trying to get students to move to Huntsville or Nacogdoches based on city alone. For that reason I am interested to see how Sam Houston does to the jump from FCS to FBS.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

Hmm. How many first round NCAA games has Sam Houston, Stephen F. Austin, Nickels State, Lamar, etc. won? Zero. And there's a hundred more just like them.
      Billy Tubbs years[edit]Division I basketball tournament in 1979. The tenth seeded Cardinals upset the number seven seed Detroit before falling to tournament champion Michigan State in the second round. The following year, the Cardinals under Coach Tubbs, had a Cinderella story in the 1980 NCAA Basketball Tournament as a ten seed advancing to the Sweet 16. The Cardinals defeated number seven seed Weber State and number two seed Oregon State before falling to six seed Clemson.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

Billy Tubbs years[edit]Division I basketball tournament in 1979. The tenth seeded Cardinals upset the number seven seed Detroit before falling to tournament champion Michigan State in the second round. The following year, the Cardinals under Coach Tubbs, had a Cinderella story in the 1980 NCAA Basketball Tournament as a ten seed advancing to the Sweet 16. The Cardinals defeated number seven seed Weber State and number two seed Oregon State before falling to six seed Clemson.

Comment

Mike Olliver who would become an all-American for Lamar.[16] One of Coach Tubbs' recruits, Clarence Kea, was drafted by the NBA while Tubbs was still at Lamar. Three other Tubbs recruited players, Mike Olliver, B. B. Davis, and Alvin Brooks, were drafted the year following Tubbs' departure.

My dad was an OSU alum and played for the Beavers in the 50s. The loss to Lamar stung!

Your message detailed several Southland teams, and you stated that they combined for Zero victories. You got shown five.

Also, Tubbs had some damn good players that went to the next level, as did that SFA team.

*Further research*

Southland has had 17 NCAA tourney wins.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...land/ncaa.html
          Last edited by Runnin' Cat; 03-23-2022, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Herb Street's hatred for Schools that Move up to D1 from D2 is noted and well documented. Moving on...

Comment

I'm trying to remember what conference UNLV was in when they won the national title and made 2 straight final fours with 5 future NBA players starting. It sure wasn't the Pac-12. Then they got hit with sanctions for violations Tark did at Fresno State. They had an elite 8 match up with LMU in one of those runs who had just lost their best player in the WCC tourney when he died, then took out the defending champs in the first round.

I feel like Herb Street doesn't want UNLV to have had their multiple runs or LMU to have that Cinderella run to the elite 8 in the early 90's. Both teams had a run and gun to wear your opponent out style of play, but UNLV played defense and LMU didn't.

To get this football related, saw some talk on TV about the Bengals O-line and Alex Cappa is a starter on it. He went to HSU and sometimes I miss their posters with updates on their former players.
              Last edited by Wildcat Khan; 03-23-2022, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
                I'm trying to remember what conference UNLV was in when they won the national title and made 2 straight final fours with 5 future NBA players starting. It sure wasn't the Pac-12. Then they got hit with sanctions for violations Tark did at Fresno State. They had an elite 8 match up with LMU in one of those runs who had just lost their best player in the WCC tourney when he died, then took out the defending champs in the first round.

I feel like Herb Street doesn't want UNLV to have had their multiple runs or LMU to have that Cinderella run to the elite 8 in the early 90's. Both teams had a run and gun to wear your opponent out style of play, but UNLV played defense and LMU didn't.
                UNLV was in the Big West during their heyday.

Comment

To get this football related, saw some talk on TV about the Bengals O-line and Alex Cappa is a starter on it. He went to HSU and sometimes I miss their posters with updates on their former players.
                  Cappa has not started a game with the Bengals. He will next year as he just signed with the Bengals. His entire career has been with TB up to March 18, 2022, when he signed a 4 yr $35MM contract with the Bengals.

Comment

Cappa has not started a game with the Bengals. He will next year as he just signed with the Bengals. His entire career has been with TB up to March 18, 2022, when he signed a 4 yr $35MM contract with the Bengals.
                    That still means though a Super Bowl Ring. Good for him on getting that kind of deal though.

Comment

That still means though a Super Bowl Ring.
                      He got a SB ring with Tampa Bay. He has not started a game with the Bengals.

Comment

Idaho is the land grant institution for the State. As such, they are in line to receive benefits of the Morrill Acts of 1862 and 1890. This provides the state to sell federal lands in order to support the institution. As a note, the U of I was created by the territorial government before Idaho became a state. At that time, most of the agriculture and forestry opportunities were in northern Idaho as much of the SW and eastern parts of the state are desert. That changed with the development of irrigation projects and extensive crop planting as a result.

A few years ago, the State Board of Trustees stripped the flagship designation from U of I.

https://dnews.com/local/state-board-...a4bcf6878.html

The state of Idaho is a political mess.

Comment

Originally posted by wisdomgymrat View Post
                          Herb Street's hatred for Schools that Move up to D1 from D2 is noted and well documented. Moving on...
                          Whatever. I actually follow ACU has I have several good friends on faculty there. Moving up is great if you can pay the freight. UTSA is one example.

Tarleton and Commerce? That's funny.

Comment

He got a SB ring with Tampa Bay. He has not started a game with the Bengals.
                            But he will, therefore he is the current starter. Can we stop arguing semantics? Just like Russel Wilson is the starter in Denver despite not having played there yet.
                            Last edited by Wildcat Khan; 03-23-2022, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

Whatever. I actually follow ACU has I have several good friends on faculty there. Moving up is great if you can pay the freight. UTSA is one example.

Tarleton and Commerce? That's funny.
                              You do realize Tarleton has a coach that coached in the SEC, right? Another thread shows they are putting money into football for a 24k attendance stadium, so why not basketball too? Before you say anything else though, I remember Tarleton visiting Ellensburg in the playoffs and getting destroyed too.

The key is that they put the money into the program if they have it, not giving it as bonuses to AD's and such for success. I have to wonder how many of these small college team's the tournament money goes to the administration, not the program.

Comment

This is what you posted. You said "is a starter". That connotes something different.

It is bad enough that you live in a PNW bubble, but this is not semantics. It is tense. Please don't make my CWU degree be worth less.
                                Last edited by Runnin' Cat; 03-24-2022, 09:08 AM. Reason: Small Screen Posting

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X