Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSU QB to NAIA ... former CWU recruit

I live in Boise, yesterday on local sports radio they interviewed Boise State backup QB Andy Peters, who is off to NAIA College of Idaho down the road. C of I has a fine program. It was very interesting in his comments, he loved the program at BSU and his teammates and the school, but said he was never going to play. He was right. When he signed, they had already signed a big time guy (I think from Texas) and last year they took an Oregon State transfer.

Central Washington University was recruiting Peters hard, he would've been outstanding there. He also had some FCS offers. He's from Timberline High in Boise and every kid in town thinks he's going to play at BSU. Most are not. Peters said he got "bad advice" and didn't think things through well enough. He said kids in the future should consider places where they can get the best opportunity to play.

I'm not sure how it works in Texas and their great high school football talent, but my take having lived in Idaho, Washington, and Oregon, is the prep players in the Northwest often look at going D2 or lower as an insult. I'm hoping in Texas small college football is more respected, or does every kid think he's going to start at A & M or UT?

Need you to go down and impress on the CoI AD the benefits of joining D2. They have a natural rival just down the road even!

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
      I live in Boise, yesterday on local sports radio they interviewed Boise State backup QB Andy Peters, who is off to NAIA College of Idaho down the road. C of I has a fine program. It was very interesting in his comments, he loved the program at BSU and his teammates and the school, but said he was never going to play. He was right. When he signed, they had already signed a big time guy (I think from Texas) and last year they took an Oregon State transfer.

Central Washington University was recruiting Peters hard, he would've been outstanding there. He also had some FCS offers. He's from Timberline High in Boise and every kid in town thinks he's going to play at BSU. Most are not. Peters said he got "bad advice" and didn't think things through well enough. He said kids in the future should consider places where they can get the best opportunity to play.

I'm not sure how it works in Texas and their great high school football talent, but my take having lived in Idaho, Washington, and Oregon, is the prep players in the Northwest often look at going D2 or lower as an insult. I'm hoping in Texas small college football is more respected, or does every kid think he's going to start at A & M or UT?

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

I think its natural for every kid to want to play for their state or region's top ranked and most popular university.

Not just football but in every sport most of the kids that dominate at their high school are going to be with other equal or better talent once they get to a Boise State, Texas, etc.

If they are lucky now they get the redshirt and can now transfer out of town with their eligibility intact.

Usually it takes the first year for a kid to see and realize that.

Note: I stayed in Boise for work back in 2017 for a few weeks. Loved it and reminded me of the Texas Panhandle with mountains. I want to go back and visit McCall again when its not winter.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
          TAMUK has more NFL Hall of Famers than the mothership and a few other big boy schools in Texas.
          3 - Upshaw 1967, Green 1983, Randle 1989 (dates are draft dates). Two played all 4 years, 1 was a JUCO transfer.

A&M has 1.

Comment

Until recently, Boise State had just the football program that was somewhat noteworthy. Academically, BSU has a lot of programs and some even rise to the level of mediocrity. It is a big commuter school. The way the community worships Bronco football is pathetic.

I ran a finance group in Boise, and while we were "required" to recruit there, I got very few folks from there that could make the grade. I had one guy that came from WSU and within a few years he was a member of the Bronco Athletic Association and gave money! Bronco football is a cult.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
              Until recently, Boise State had just the football program that was somewhat noteworthy. Academically, BSU has a lot of programs and some even rise to the level of mediocrity. It is a big commuter school. The way the community worships Bronco football is pathetic.

I ran a finance group in Boise, and while we were "required" to recruit there, I got very few folks from there that could make the grade. I had one guy that came from WSU and within a few years he was a member of the Bronco Athletic Association and gave money! Bronco football is a cult.
              Agreed on their athletics, it wasn't until they they got Rice to coach basketball that they even became relevant in the MWC. He came from a winning culture as an assistant and seems to have brought that with him so they now can compete for a low seed in the tourney, not what he was used to though as an assistant but still quite the improvement.

Their football also seemed to go down when Peterson went to UW and fall back to the level of the other top MWC schools, no longer the team that can go on the road and destroy a top 10 Pac-12 or SEC team.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

Agreed on their athletics, it wasn't until they they got Rice to coach basketball that they even became relevant in the MWC. He came from a winning culture as an assistant and seems to have brought that with him so they now can compete for a low seed in the tourney, not what he was used to though as an assistant but still quite the improvement.

Their football also seemed to go down when Peterson went to UW and fall back to the level of the other top MWC schools, no longer the team that can go on the road and destroy a top 10 Pac-12 or SEC team.
                Destroy?

They beat a 10-4 Georgia team in 2011 for their only win against an SEC team. They are 1-5 overall.

http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/tvc/boise/sec.shtml

BSU is 1-5 against Washington State

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...shington-state

BSU is 2-3 against Washington.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb..._id=washington

They have success against some bad Oregon State and Oregon teams and Utah prior to the Utes joining the Pac 12.

They got pummeled by UCLA in 1999.

BSU fans tie the Broncos success to 2006.

How many Bronco fans does it take to change a light bulb?

One. But ten others will ask if you saw the 2006 Fiesta Bowl.

Comment

Destroy?

They beat a 10-4 Georgia team in 2011 for their only win against an SEC team. They are 1-5 overall.

http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/tvc/boise/sec.shtml

BSU is 1-5 against Washington State

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...shington-state

BSU is 2-3 against Washington.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb..._id=washington

They have success against some bad Oregon State and Oregon teams and Utah prior to the Utes joining the Pac 12.

They got pummeled by UCLA in 1999.

BSU fans tie the Broncos success to 2006.

How many Bronco fans does it take to change a light bulb?

One. But ten others will ask if you saw the 2006 Fiesta Bowl.
                  I meant more that there was a 3-4 year period where they were consistently a Top 10 team with Power 5/6 wins, which is also when they joined the Big East right as it split. Even after that they were a power like Cincinatti or Houston are right now and UCF a few years ago, but they are not near that level of when they were invited to the Big East despite what their fans may think. If the Big East had continued in football, perhaps they could have sustained it longer and recruited more players like Kellen Moore being in a power conference instead of becoming a fringe Top 25 team like they seem to be now.

Also a lot of the games you are referencing are outside of the years where they were a top 5-10 team.

Comment

I meant more that there was a 3-4 year period where they were consistently a Top 10 team with Power 5/6 wins, which is also when they joined the Big East right as it split. Even after that they were a power like Cincinatti or Houston are right now and UCF a few years ago, but they are not near that level of when they were invited to the Big East despite what their fans may think. If the Big East had continued in football, perhaps they could have sustained it longer and recruited more players like Kellen Moore being in a power conference instead of becoming a fringe Top 25 team like they seem to be now.

Also a lot of the games you are referencing are outside of the years where they were a top 5-10 team.
                    Name the game that they went on the road and destroyed an SEC or PAC 12 team that was Top Ten.

They had two signature wins. The Fiesta Bowl against OK, and the win against Georgia. In neither case did BSU "destroy" the other team.

Comment

Name the game that they went on the road and destroyed an SEC or PAC 12 team that was Top Ten.

They had two signature wins. The Fiesta Bowl against OK, and the win against Georgia. In neither case did BSU "destroy" the other team.
                      The year before the game where the Oregon player punched the Boise State player after the game, but I guess Oregon was outside the top 10 at #17. I do hope you think that is a good road win though for an Oregon team that went 10-3 finishing 2nd in the Pac-10. The next year Oregon won the Pac-10 before losing in the Rose Bowl while ranked #7, which is also the year of the punch in Boise. Those wins over Oregon were 2008 and 2009.

Comment

The year before the game where the Oregon player punched the Boise State player after the game, but I guess Oregon was outside the top 10 at #17. I do hope you think that is a good road win though for an Oregon team that went 10-3 finishing 2nd in the Pac-10. The next year Oregon won the Pac-10 before losing in the Rose Bowl while ranked #7, which is also the year of the punch in Boise. Those wins over Oregon were 2008 and 2009.
                        2008 at Oregon

BSU 37 Oregon 32

2009 at BSU

BSU 19 Oregon 8

Neither of those seem to be a case of "destroyed". Your rhetoric is exactly what the moronic Bronco fans state.

Comment

2008 at Oregon

BSU 37 Oregon 32

2009 at BSU

BSU 19 Oregon 8

Neither of those seem to be a case of "destroyed". Your rhetoric is exactly what the moronic Bronco fans state.
                          Are you saying those weren't good wins against a Power 5 team? Just because they were closer than I remembered as I don't follow them, do you think they were bad wins and not a good team those 2 years?

Comment

Are you saying those weren't good wins against a Power 5 team? Just because they were closer than I remembered as I don't follow them, do you think they were bad wins and not a good team those 2 years?
                            They were good wins. YOU said "destroy". Do you understand you are backing up?

Don't be a dolt.

Comment

I'm still laughing at the lightbulb joke. Epic ...and true.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X