Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Assassin14 View Post
    Josh Lynn
    I think that would be an excellent choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
      Maybe a current head coach from region 1 that has had sustained playoff success with little to no scholarships to work with?

Is the NE 10 still little to no scholarship?

cwfenn could probably elaborate more on the coacches up there and if the pay would be a substantial increase along with no state tax here.

I am guessing the larger schools in the LSC will pay more than in SR1, but again, that's just me guessing.

Just spitballing here, but let's see what I can come up with:

In the NE10, you're probably not prying away Pincince from New Haven (every NH head coach going back to the mid-80's has either gone straight to D1 or the NFL when they left NH) or McKenzie from Assumption (he's been in Massachusetts a long time). New Haven has been thinking of going D1 for a few years as well (they hired Sheahon Zenger after Kansas let him go for that reason), but I couldn't tell you if/when they jump.

Bentley just hired a new coach and while he's had a solid season, it's his first HC job after many years coaching defenses. Bentley's previous coach, Bill Kavanugh, quit after last season, but he's a New Englander too.

Maybe St. Anselm's coach might take a call? He's originally from Grand Valley State (assisted for Brian Kelly) and he seems to be building a better program at St. A's, but has no playoff experience as a head coach.

Russell Gaskamp (the Franklin Pierce head coach) went to UT-Austin and was head coach at Oklahoma Panhandle, so he actually had LSC experience (albeit briefly). His record is terrible, but he's building a program from scratch and his best offensive player is EJ Burgess, who is from Pearland, TX. No idea if he would move.

In the PSAC, ENMU hired their coach from an assistant job at Shepherd, and right now anyone who associated with Tyson Bagent could get a look.

IUP and Slippery Rock have been good over the years, but their staffs tend to stay the same year to year.

Shippensburg was once home to Mike Yurcich, who is now Penn State's OC, so maybe there's someone in one of the middle-of-the road schools.

I think there were rumors last year that Kutztown's head coach, Jim Clements, could leave, but I think that was for a D1 job and he's never left PA as a coach. Kutztown's defense is quite good, though.

I won't even try to discuss the GMAC or MEC as I know next to nothing about those conferences. All I know about the MEC is that Notre Dame-Ohio has been good for a while and one of their recent head coaches (Mike Jacobs) moved to Lenoir-Rhyne as HC and their most recent head coach went to Weber State as an assistant. Maybe there's another there? GMAC-I couldn't tell you.
      Last edited by cwfenn; 10-20-2022, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
        I would take a look at Roy Thompson.
        Great resume as DC at Quchita Baptist. But, another DC without HC experience? The last DC we hired as a HC without HC experience also had a great resume, but all we know how that's turned out......meh.

If I'm our AD......I'm looking for HC experience, some Texas coaching roots, a reputation as a great recruiter and player's coach.........and I'd be willing to pay for the right guy. My guess is $175,000-$200,000 in today's market. That ought to be enticing to some experienced and successful D2 HC's. WT's been known to pay it's assistants well for D2.

The new coach needs to (really) keep as many kids as he can. He can't afford to run off half the team. The current players are not the same bunch of semi-riffraff Nesbitt left Hughes to deal with. The right coach should be able to win right away at WT. Look what Girsch did at ASU. The right guy should have WT competing with ASU immediately. He hires good assistants. Recruits some key talent to add to some good young talent already on roster. Instills an immediate "winning" attitude. Get's the "buzz" going again. And wins. No rebuilding. Just wins. Now.

Is Thompson that guy? Who is that guy?

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

I am guessing the larger schools in the LSC will pay more than in SR1, but again, that's just me guessing.

In the NE10, you're probably not prying away Pincince from New Haven (every NH head coach going back to the mid-80's has either gone straight to D1 or the NFL when they left NH) or McKenzie from Assumption (he's been in Massachusetts a long time). New Haven has been thinking of going D1 for a few years as well (they hired Sheahon Zenger after Kansas let him go for that reason), but I couldn't tell you if/when they jump.

Bentley just hired a new coach and while he's had a solid season, it's his first HC job after many years coaching defenses. Bentley's previous coach, Bill Kavanugh, quit after last season, but he's a New Englander too.

Maybe St. Anselm's coach might take a call? He's originally from Grand Valley State (assisted for Brian Kelly) and he seems to be building a better program at St. A's, but has no playoff experience as a head coach.

Russell Gaskamp (the Franklin Pierce head coach) went to UT-Austin and was head coach at Oklahoma Panhandle, so he actually had LSC experience (albeit briefly). His record is terrible, but he's building a program from scratch and his best offensive player is EJ Burgess, who is from Pearland, TX. No idea if he would move.

In the PSAC, ENMU hired their coach from an assistant job at Shepherd, and right now anyone who associated with Tyson Bagent could get a look.

IUP and Slippery Rock have been good over the years, but their staffs tend to stay the same year to year.

Shippensburg was once home to Mike Yurcich, who is now Penn State's OC, so maybe there's someone in one of the middle-of-the road schools.

I think there were rumors last year that Kutztown's head coach, Jim Clements, could leave, but I think that was for a D1 job and he's never left PA as a coach. Kutztown's defense is quite good, though.

I won't even try to discuss the GMAC or MEC as I know next to nothing about those conferences. All I know about the MEC is that Notre Dame-Ohio has been good for a while and one of their recent head coaches (Mike Jacobs) moved to Lenoir-Rhyne as HC and their most recent head coach went to Weber State as an assistant. Maybe there's another there? GMAC-I couldn't tell you.
          Thank you for taking the time to research and post this thorough list.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Great resume as DC at Quchita Baptist. But, another DC without HC experience? The last DC we hired as a HC without HC experience also had a great resume, but all we know how that's turned out......meh.

If I'm our AD......I'm looking for HC experience, some Texas coaching roots, a reputation as a great recruiter and player's coach.........and I'd be willing to pay for the right guy. My guess is $175,000-$200,000 in today's market. That ought to be enticing to some experienced and successful D2 HC's. WT's been known to pay it's assistants well for D2.

The new coach needs to (really) keep as many kids as he can. He can't afford to run off half the team. The current players are not the same bunch of semi-riffraff Nesbitt left Hughes to deal with. The right coach should be able to win right away at WT. Look what Girsch did at ASU. The right guy should have WT competing with ASU immediately. He hires good assistants. Recruits some key talent to add to some good young talent already on roster. Instills an immediate "winning" attitude. Get's the "buzz" going again. And wins. No rebuilding. Just wins. Now.

Is Thompson that guy? Who is that guy?
            SEE JEFF GIRSCH. Prior to Angelo State, 18 years at St. Ambrose University, final 6 as DC. He took a mediocre Angelo State to national play-offs in 3 seasons (1 being COVID).

Speaking of Girsch....if he ever gets a TOP QB, watch out!!

According to the WTAMU published 2021-2022 operating budget, Hughes makes $122k. Shows top paid assistant as Russ Martin $70k. (Not sure of the accuracy of this document)
            https://www.wtamu.edu/_files/docs/ab...-2021-2022.pdf

IF you want a wholesale change, you should allow 2-3 years for the new staff to move WT into competing in national play-offs. BUT....you should see improvements each season.

As far as RT. He is a fantastic recruiter. One of the best. He has signed some great Texas talent to QB. He might not be the "stereotypical" WT HC mold, but it's time to break that mold and get a real players coach and motivated winner at WT. I personally think RT would kill at WT. But honestly, not sure he would be interested.

I have a few more candidates in mind, but again, not sure there is enough to lure them to WT. I bet Gaskamp would apply. He certainly doesn't fit the mold, but he would be fantastic at WT. Then, might be able to get KWash as the OC.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

Gas coached at Angelo State and is one of the best recruiters you can find. He would KILL it recruiting at WT. I can't really tell you how he is as a HC, but at Angelo, every player liked and respected him.

Comment

Gaskamp may be a good coach, but his record is really bad. In the last 3 seasons he's won 2 games.

https://www.fpuravens.com/sports/fball/2019-20/schedule

Comment

SEE JEFF GIRSCH. Prior to Angelo State, 18 years at St. Ambrose University, final 6 as DC. He took a mediocre Angelo State to national play-offs in 3 seasons (1 being COVID).

Speaking of Girsch....if he ever gets a TOP QB, watch out!!

According to the WTAMU published 2021-2022 operating budget, Hughes makes $122k. Shows top paid assistant as Russ Martin $70k. (Not sure of the accuracy of this document)
                  https://www.wtamu.edu/_files/docs/ab...-2021-2022.pdf

IF you want a wholesale change, you should allow 2-3 years for the new staff to move WT into competing in national play-offs. BUT....you should see improvements each season.

As far as RT. He is a fantastic recruiter. One of the best. He has signed some great Texas talent to QB. He might not be the "stereotypical" WT HC mold, but it's time to break that mold and get a real players coach and motivated winner at WT. I personally think RT would kill at WT. But honestly, not sure he would be interested.

I have a few more candidates in mind, but again, not sure there is enough to lure them to WT. I bet Gaskamp would apply. He certainly doesn't fit the mold, but he would be fantastic at WT. Then, might be able to get KWash as the OC.
                  I hope Thompson applies, if the job opens up. I'd like to meet him in person. I'd also look for a bump in salary for a new HC. Much better than what Hughes is getting. Of course, this will bleed down to other coaches other sports. McBroom will find a way to squeeze the budget and/or raise some outside dollars.

Comment

I hope Thompson applies, if the job opens up. I'd like to meet him in person. I'd also look for a bump in salary for a new HC. Much better than what Hughes is getting. Of course, this will bleed down to other coaches other sports. McBroom will find a way to squeeze the budget and/or raise some outside dollars.
                    Hope so.

I would prefer WT get a young, upcoming talent. The next great HC. Not a recycled HC.

Comment

Hope so.

I would prefer WT get a young, upcoming talent. The next great HC. Not a recycled HC.
                      I could agree, if.......he's the RIGHT young, upcoming talent!

Comment

I could agree, if.......he's the RIGHT young, upcoming talent!
                        100%

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
                          Gaskamp may be a good coach, but his record is really bad. In the last 3 seasons he's won 2 games.

https://www.fpuravens.com/sports/fball/2019-20/schedule
                          WT fans will certainly question looking at a guy who currently has a 2-26 record in the NE10 (plus whatever his record was at OPSU). If WT lets Hughes go, I expect there will be some strong local applicants with MIAA, and GAC schools all close by along with the LSC.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
                            I still think Hughes will be retained if he goes 6-5. Remember to "lower your expectations".

That being said, I like the WOU coach. Of course a return of Don Carthel would be ideal, but that would mean a new AD.
                            I watched the Youtube video linked below a few months ago and during the podcast it was said by the WT administration the only number they pay attention to for athletic teams is the team GPA. Then said that the football team's GPA has improved from a 2.2 to a 2.8 with the current head coach. So there you go. They shouldn't have wasted money building a new stadium. They should have built a new library for the FB team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwVA_m8I_zk
                            Last edited by Rockofwesties; 10-22-2022, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockofwesties View Post

I watched the Youtube video linked below a few months ago and during the podcast it was said by the WT administration the only number they pay attention to for athletic teams is the team GPA. Then said that the football team's GPA has improved from a 2.2 to a 2.8 with the current head coach. So there you go. They shouldn't have wasted money building a new stadium. They should have built a new library for the FB team.

There was a ceremony recently where donor names were added to Buffalo Stadium. I did not attend. Several boosters there quoted Dr. Wendler as saying. "When I came to Wt I was concerned about the GPA, I am now concerned about winning games." This was confirmed to me by several people in attendance. Coach Hughs was also in attendance. IMHO, if Wt loses another game this year a change will be made.
                              The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by Rockofwesties View Post

Wendler gave Pat the full credit for the stadium, which ensures he cannot be blamed for it. He also said until the football team's GPA is 3.0, he doesn't care about their record. So, Hughes can take his time, produce mediocre results until they hit 3.0, we can be runner up for the Whatchamacallit award and concentrate on the track team! Personally I never watch track, soccer, basketball, lacrosse, or basket weaving. Yawn! Does Alabama have a 3.0 average on their football team?

McBroom mentioned that we may be in D1 or D3 in the future depending on how the NCAA works through their problems. They had a good point that the NCAA is not doing a great job except for the really big schools. Maybe the NAIA is the place for WT! We could win most of our games over there - for a year or two.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X