Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tsull View Post

I'd like to see Winker return because his upside is tremendous. Of course he's done a ton academically already -- good grief that's impressive, I had to grind away to get my bachelor's. I was thinking about the QB coaching on what's going on. He has the best combo of frame/arm strength I've seen at WOU. I'd like to see him shine at WOU, but would understand if he left. If he does leave, WOU might have to scramble to fill the QB spot, unless the guys further down the depth chart have potential.
    From what I have seen they don't. He was replaced a couple of times against WT and I don't remember the other guy throwing a pass.

I'm very concerned about WT's QB situation once Gerber graduates. He's done a great job with poor coaching, and will be very hard to replace.

Comment

• Originally posted by tsull View Post

I'd like to see Winker return because his upside is tremendous. Of course he's done a ton academically already -- good grief that's impressive, I had to grind away to get my bachelor's. I was thinking about the QB coaching on what's going on. He has the best combo of frame/arm strength I've seen at WOU. I'd like to see him shine at WOU, but would understand if he left. If he does leave, WOU might have to scramble to fill the QB spot, unless the guys further down the depth chart have potential.
      I hope he decides to play somewhere next year too (somewhat selfishly) because I enjoy watching him play and I think he has some potential. Talking to the coaches they are positive on his progress and understand that often the first year playing as QB can be rough. But as we all see, he needs to reduce the bad decisions, especially, as others have stated, we’re nearing the end of the season and should be seeing improvements. There are too many ‘what were you thinking’ moments. If he doesn’t make progress in that regard they will eventually move on.
      Last edited by SPWOU; 10-31-2022, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

From what I have seen they don't. He was replaced a couple of times against WT and I don't remember the other guy throwing a pass.

I'm very concerned about WT's QB situation once Gerber graduates. He's done a great job with poor coaching, and will be very hard to replace.
        QB2 has a very different skill set, dual threat, but hasn’t been able to produce when given the opportunity. Seems like he may have been able to create ‘off-schedule’ in HS but things are moving much faster in games for him now.

Comment

• Originally posted by SPWOU View Post

QB2 has a very different skill set, dual threat, but hasn’t been able to produce when given the opportunity. Seems like he may have been able to create ‘off-schedule’ in HS but things are moving much faster in games for him now.
          From what little I've seen of the backup, he looks like an option QB. One thing that's been tough for WOU and I think most D2 football programs is retention. On a positive note (as you noted the backup getting his degree and/or Master's and moving on), we're seeing lots of players graduate and move on. But there's been a lot of backup QB movement over the years, don't blame them. It's tough to sit and perhaps not get much money or any money. Defensively, guys like Sinclair and Parnell have stuck around and gotten really good. On offense, Dixon-Land has stuck around and gotten really good. But it's tough to stay patient in D2/D3/NAIA without much scholarship money and perks, certainly compared to D1. Winker is by far WOU's best and maybe only option moving forward.

* I'm glad WOU has elected not to do the D1 drop-down/heavy portal stuff. I like winning with the guys we've got.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X