Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TAMUK09 View Post
    I'm still hoping for 9-2, but 7-4 is still an improvemet.

AT least the defensive is playing good.
    We had our chances especially if our DB would have held on to that "almost interception" on their last drive, but it wasn't meant to be. Also, both of our lines were getting pushed around. Hopefully, we close out the season with two wins, but we'll have to play much better.

Comment

The bad news is that the Javelinas lost.
      The good news is that the outlook for the Javelinas -- for the first time in more than a decade -- is bright.

We still have a few yards to go from being a contender. However, I hope that the coach and AD will see the weaknesses and address them.

Both of the two final games won't be easy wins. However, they will both be at home in Javelina Stadium. We can possibly squeak into the playoffs. However, I'm much more interested in a recruiting win than a playoff entry. There are some glaring holes (particularly on offense) that, if fixed, might turn the Javelinas into a powerhouse next season.

Comment

Also: We should congratulate, Central Washington. Well done! I think that Javelina Football will circle next year's rematch on their calendar.

Comment

Originally posted by ccchhhrrriiisss View Post
          The bad news is that the Javelinas lost.
          The good news is that the outlook for the Javelinas -- for the first time in more than a decade -- is bright.

We still have a few yards to go from being a contender. However, I hope that the coach and AD will see the weaknesses and address them.

Both of the two final games won't be easy wins. However, they will both be at home in Javelina Stadium. We can possibly squeak into the playoffs. However, I'm much more interested in a recruiting win than a playoff entry. There are some glaring holes (particularly on offense) that, if fixed, might turn the Javelinas into a powerhouse next season.
          Very good attitude and post.

I think these past two games have been eye openers.

Comment

Game was entertaining. Frustrating definitely, but entertaining. Obviously I'm biased toward the final score for my Wildcats. I don't like the switching of QBs, but what do I know? I'm not a coach and we won. Had Kingsville picked off that pass in the 4th quarter, this game ends differently.

From a season perspective, losing to WT and WOU forces CWU to have to win at Angelo State, who looks completely dominant. I don't expect the Rams to have the same kind of game at home like they did against SFU on the road. If anything that just woke them up, AND they're playing at home.

I'm also thrilled with being in the LSC. Great games against really good teams. I'm impressed with all the teams this year, I think we'll look back and look at WOU, WNMU and UTPB as teams to continue to watch out for. They're playing spoiler this year. Maybe that indicates something for 2023 and 2024.

Comment

Okay now I'm fixing to address the Javs fans like I did the wt fans.......I understood the frustration they have with Hughes even though I didn't agree with them on some points. Some of y'all have already giving up on the season with 2 loses to to good teams really? I'm gonna ask a question to u all that I already know the true answer. Have u enjoyed this season better than the last 5 plus yrs?????? Do u like the current coach and what he has done? ....so............
              the I knew we weren't this good narrative is appearing........you win the last 2 games you are in..........they are at home....u have a hell up of a defense........they numbers are their to prove it.........u ran into an asu team for homecoming.........yes your offfense does not match up and against asu strength run defense....but against average to below defenses.......your run game will produce.....the qb ability is still young and has potential.......lsc conference teams struggle bad going to cwu and Washington ( look it up )....but if u do win out and don't get in.....I would advise your AD not to schedule both of your non conference games not d2 opponents.... just to be able to
              Say we're building confidence. Nsic is fixing to work itself out and rmac is done.....Regardless of where u get in,as long as u are in....lsc is the strongest of the 3 in this region but would be ashamed if only 1 got in. So I root for you. Have faith

Comment

Originally posted by ASUfam&fan View Post
                Okay now I'm fixing to address the Javs fans like I did the wt fans.......I understood the frustration they have with Hughes even though I didn't agree with them on some points. Some of y'all have already giving up on the season with 2 loses to to good teams really? I'm gonna ask a question to u all that I already know the true answer. Have u enjoyed this season better than the last 5 plus yrs?????? Do u like the current coach and what he has done? ....so............
                the I knew we weren't this good narrative is appearing........you win the last 2 games you are in..........they are at home....u have a hell up of a defense........they numbers are their to prove it.........u ran into an asu team for homecoming.........yes your offfense does not match up and against asu strength run defense....but against average to below defenses.......your run game will produce.....the qb ability is still young and has potential.......lsc conference teams struggle bad going to cwu and Washington ( look it up )....but if u do win out and don't get in.....I would advise your AD not to schedule both of your non conference games not d2 opponents.... just to be able to
                Say we're building confidence. Nsic is fixing to work itself out and rmac is done.....Regardless of where u get in,as long as u are in....lsc is the strongest of the 3 in this region but would be ashamed if only 1 got in. So I root for you. Have faith
                The big difference is Salinas has them on the verge of making the playoffs in his second full season (minus COVID) and has improved that program exponentially regardless of what happens the last two games.

Hughes has been around since 2017 and we have watched Western Oregon, Kingsville, Western New Mexico, and UTPB pass them by.

Most of these schools are playing with less talent and scholarships and get outcoached.

He has had long enough to turn things around to a playoff team and he couldn't deliver even in a much weaker LSC conference than when he started.

I think he would do better in the RMAC without the pressure of keeping up with the rapidly improving LSC.

Comment

The long distance road games make for a big home field advantage as witnessed again this week.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUfam&fan View Post
                    Not giving up on the season.
                    This season has been more enjoyable.
                    Coach Salinas has the team going in the right direction.

Prior to the season, I was expecting a 6-5 to 7-4 season. The season has been somewhat better than I thought, but the OL and QB play are not where they need to be for us to be a really good team.
                    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

The big difference is Salinas has them on the verge of making the playoffs in his second full season (minus COVID) and has improved that program exponentially regardless of what happens the last two games.

Hughes has been around since 2017 and we have watched Western Oregon, Kingsville, Western New Mexico, and UTPB pass them by.

Most of these schools are playing with less talent and scholarships and get outcoached.

He has had long enough to turn things around to a playoff team and he couldn't deliver even in a much weaker LSC conference than when he started.

I think he would do better in the RMAC without the pressure of keeping up with the rapidly improving LSC.
                      What about Girsch? In 3 seasons, he has made Angelo a serious contender.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

What about Girsch? In 3 seasons, he has made Angelo a serious contender.
                        True but Angelo has been equal or better than WT during Hughes tenure with the same amount of resources.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

True but Angelo has been equal or better than WT during Hughes tenure with the same amount of resources.
                          Ok. Hughes started in '17 and Girsch in '18. Girsch made playoffs '21 and hopefully again in '22. In 3 years he went from Angelo's normal, bismal mediocrity to a contender.

You stated all these other schools passed WT by but didn't mention Angelo. I was pointing out Girsch's accomplishments in less time.

Point being, if Hughes was THE guy, WT would also be a contender.

Now, I can honestly say I don't know if it's Hughes or the admin. No one has succeeded since Carthel left. And this admin got rid of Don, sooooo. Maybe no one can be successful in football unless there is a change in AD and possibly pres.

Comment

Ok. Hughes started in '17 and Girsch in '18. Girsch made playoffs '21 and hopefully again in '22. In 3 years he went from Angelo's normal, bismal mediocrity to a contender.

You stated all these other schools passed WT by but didn't mention Angelo. I was pointing out Girsch's accomplishments in less time.

Now, I can honestly say I don't know if it's Hughes or the admin. No one has succeeded since Carthel left. And this admin got rid of Don, sooooo. Maybe no one can be successful in football unless there is a change in AD and possibly pres.
                            I agree. Nesbitt was nearly as bad as Hughes but since he left WT he has built his NAIA program from scratch and has been successful. We need major changes in the administration.

Comment

Angelo made the playoffs in 2014 and advanced to the second round while WT was starting their tailspin off the map so I would assume Angelo passed them in 2014 during the Nesbitt era so I don't really put that on Hughes.

Its 100% on Hughes overall unless McBroom acts in a Jerry Jones like capacity over the team and/or the scholarships have been reduced drastically which both is extremely unlikely.

There are zero excuses here.

Every team in the LSC except for Simon Fraser has improved to equal or past WT except for Simon Fraser and to a certain extent Eastern New Mexico.

I am not sure of the scholarship counts for Western New Mexico and Western Oregon but suspect they are significantly less than WT.

Carthel or any decent D2 head coach would be blowing out these teams consistently and having the second string in by the 4th quarter.

Assuming WT is at full scholarship and having one of the best stadiums/workout facilities in D2 football there isn't any reason why they should be finishing no lower than second place and playoffs every year.

It just didn't happen for Hughes at WT and it's unfortunate.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X