Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred View Post

My son played for him at NMMI & then followed him to ENMU and since then I followed his career. He treated my son very well. He has ran three different offenses at each of his stops. He was a gun spread offense at NMMI. That threw the ball more than they ran it. I wouldn’t call it air raid but similar. U know what he did at ENMU. What he did at UNK was completely different than ENMU. I wouldn’t be surprised if u get something different at WT. I personally don’t think he will run an option offense at WT.

The thing I don’t get is why he would leave UNK for fewer scholarships. Could WT be funded with 27 from public money and the other 9 be funded by a private source. Like maybe a foundation or fundraising
    In recent years a number of student-athletes have been able to get academic money. With partial athletic and academic funds, that has helped offset the cut in athletic-only aid.
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I consider Lynn's last two years at Kearney with a 17-5 MIAA record and a road playoff win to be extremely successful.
      Deflect much? πŸ˜‰

You stated "successful head coach at MULTIPLE programs".

So again, I ask, do you find .565 successful?

Because ENMU & UNK look kinda like a rinse & repeat (other than 1 year). But look, not every team, every year is going to be a juggernaut. Somebody has to be mediocre and 2nd, 3rd, or 4th place every year.

I think Josh Lynn is a GREAT guy and sincere coach. I am not saying he can't be a juggernaut. I just don't think it will happen for him at WT. But, I sure hope it does.

We'll see in 4 years. (GOD willing)

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Deflect much? πŸ˜‰

You stated "successful head coach at MULTIPLE programs".

So again, I ask, do you find .565 successful?

Because ENMU & UNK look kinda like a rinse & repeat (other than 1 year). But look, not every team, every year is going to be a juggernaut. Somebody has to be mediocre and 2nd, 3rd, or 4th place every year.

I think Josh Lynn is a GREAT guy and sincere coach. I am not saying he can't be a juggernaut. I just don't think it will happen for him at WT. But, I sure hope it does.

We'll see in 4 years. (GOD willing)
        Not deflecting. He improved both ENMU and Kearney and left them in better shape than when he inherited them.

The teams were horrible until he turned them around.

Hughes regressed.

I think he will be a great hire. Question is will he be expected to take WT to the playoffs and have help with increased scholarships or will WT be content with 7 win seasons and periodic trips to the Heritage Bowl?

Jimmy Johnson had a .556 NFL regular season winning percentage. By your logic I guess that wasn't successful? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Rockofwesties View Post
          I want this hire to be successful but I don’t understand the logic. The fan base wants excitement and high scoring offense. Maybe I’m just being paranoid but it seems like the AD is doing the opposite of what we want. Is it hard feelings?

I don’t know but the atmosphere has been conflict since 2013. I was hoping for a peace offering hire. A hire that said β€œ I care what the fans want β€œ. Not I’ll do it my way.
          Yeah, that’s McBroom. Carthel pointed out the toxic relationship he had with the administration when he left.

This is a safe hire but not a great one. However there’s no shortage of better coaches than Hughes.

That being said, I hope Hughes enjoys success as a coordinator somewhere. He seems like a decent man.

Comment

Every hire is ultimately a bit of a crapshoot. All of the pieces have to be in place to win for football, and even then it’s not guaranteed.

Comment

I am really enjoying all the comments in this thread, especially those from other conferences who know of Lynn’s past work. I am feeling a lot better, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                UNK was absolutely terrible, and didn't even fund enough schollies toever have a hopeof competing when he got there. Like someone else said, he was involved with changing the entire mindset of the administration. He turned UNK into a legit competitor in a very tough conference.

His teams are disciplined and physical. They don't make a ton of mistakes, and are usually fundamentally sound.

Like others have said, his teams have all had different offenses, so he has shown flexibility in that aspect. That said,, if WT is only running at 80 percent schollies, I wouldn't be too quick to turn up my nose at an option offense.
                I remember the Play-off game against Pitt. Pitt had 4 plays. Student body right, student body left, student body up-the-middle, and tight-end across the middle. We got our butts kicked. I don't care how - It's how many.
                The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

I remember the Play-off game against Pitt. Pitt had 4 plays. Student body right, student body left, student body up-the-middle, and tight-end across the middle. We got our butts kicked. I don't care how - It's how many.
                  Judging from the UNK stats, Lynn will bring a whole bunch of β€œstudent body” offense. Done right, it will win a lot of games.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

Judging from the UNK stats, Lynn will bring a whole bunch of β€œstudent body” offense. Done right, it will win a lot of games.
                    One could argue Hughes tried to establish the run in many games but didn't have the playbook knowledge and/or personnel to do it with much consistency.

Running up the middle is a lost cause if you have finesse running backs, undersized pass blocking offensive lineman, and no imagination on how to utilize the personnel you have.

Comment

One could argue Hughes tried to establish the run in many games but didn't have the playbook knowledge and/or personnel to do it with much consistency.

Running up the middle is a lost cause if you have finesse running backs, undersized pass blocking offensive lineman, and no imagination on how to utilize the personnel you have.

Looks like Lynn knows what he's doing.

Comment

Not deflecting. He improved both ENMU and Kearney and left them in better shape than when he inherited them.

The teams were horrible until he turned them around.

Hughes regressed.

I think he will be a great hire. Question is will he be expected to take WT to the playoffs and have help with increased scholarships or will WT be content with 7 win seasons and periodic trips to the Heritage Bowl?

Jimmy Johnson had a .556 NFL regular season winning percentage. By your logic I guess that wasn't successful? ;)
                        There ARE exceptions to the RULE, i.e. Jimmy Johnson, or, like Landry, who had a .598 and won Super Bowls. Of course these RARE exceptions are out there. πŸ™„ Only ignorance would think different. And I don't point to the exceptions when discussing reality. I don't bank on the "anything can happen" aspect when hiring key personnel for my businesses.

The FACT is Lynn is .565 as a head coach. PERIOD. THAT is reality.

You are comparing Lynn to Jimmy Johnson, thereby insinuating he will win back-to-back NCs.....and I say, I will bet you the house on that prognostication. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Now, BACK to the ORIGINAL question. Do YOU find .565 successful?

Comment

Remember this?

"New WT football coach ready to build a β€˜dynasty’ in Canyon"
                          http://www.canyonnews.com/new-wt-foo...ynasty-canyon/

If you could go back and read all your comments from December 2013, it would be enlightening. AND deja vu..

Again, I hope WT is the right stop for Lynn. And visa versa. But, it just feels like rinse and repeat 7-3 seasons ahead.

I was hoping for something FRESH. NEW. EXCITING. A real up and coming innovator!

Comment

There ARE exceptions to the RULE, i.e. Jimmy Johnson, or, like Landry, who had a .598 and won Super Bowls. Of course these RARE exceptions are out there. πŸ™„ Only ignorance would think different. And I don't point to the exceptions when discussing reality. I don't bank on the "anything can happen" aspect when hiring key personnel for my businesses.

You are comparing Lynn to Jimmy Johnson, thereby insinuating he will win back-to-back NCs.....and I say, I will bet you the house on that prognostication. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

You need to start a search firm Pops!!.

Comment

Do you consider .565 successful?
                              I think his record at UNK was very good considering where he was when they started.

Comment

OK I will answer it this way.

.565 is extremely successful combined at ENMU and Kearney since they both were bottom dwellers in tough conferences.

If he went .565 at Ferris State or Northwest Missouri State then that would have been a failure.

I was honestly hoping for an offensive wizard mastermind that would take WT back to the Carthel days.

The state that WT is at now I think Lynn is the appropriate hire who knows how to do more with less.

Time will tell at the end of the 2020s if McBroom is right or on to the next.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X