Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

There ARE exceptions to the RULE, i.e. Jimmy Johnson, or, like Landry, who had a .598 and won Super Bowls. Of course these RARE exceptions are out there. 🙄 Only ignorance would think different. And I don't point to the exceptions when discussing reality. I don't bank on the "anything can happen" aspect when hiring key personnel for my businesses.

The FACT is Lynn is .565 as a head coach. PERIOD. THAT is reality.

You are comparing Lynn to Jimmy Johnson, thereby insinuating he will win back-to-back NCs.....and I say, I will bet you the house on that prognostication. 😂😂😂

Now, BACK to the ORIGINAL question. Do YOU find .565 successful?
    Pops, I think you’re being a little ridiculous. If a coach takes over a bad program, there’s going to be some losing. That’s pretty much unavoidable. The NCAA coaching hall of fame only requires a .600 win percentage for that reason. Mike Leach only has a .595 win percentage. Would you consider him a bad coach?

Comment

Lynn’s record, or anyone else’s, has to be measured in context of the program they lead. Would Jim Harbaugh be in the CFP if he was at Michigan State instead of Michigan? Doubt it. Did Nick Saban have Michigan State at the top of the football world? Not even close. Context.

And if WT admin is trying to do a shoe string football budget, Lynn’s career record percentage will probably be the same in 3 years as it is today, with everyone *****ing again for a fire and hire. But you can’t make chickens out of chicken feathers.

Comment

Originally posted by D2Assassin View Post

Pops, I think you’re being a little ridiculous. If a coach takes over a bad program, there’s going to be some losing. That’s pretty much unavoidable. The NCAA coaching hall of fame only requires a .600 win percentage for that reason. Mike Leach only has a .595 win percentage. Would you consider him a bad coach?
        Leach just passed from this world after a massive heart attack Sunday.

Comment

This thread has me laughing out loud. Expectations? That bar has been set extremely low by the past two HCs so I really don't think he could prove himself to be as inept as those two. WT hasn't sniffed the playoffs since I don't know when and people are talking about Lynn's limitations. LOL. His biggest challenge isn't going to be coaching football its going to be figuring out how to deal with Methuselah aka WT Prez. He has already proven he is light years ahead of the last two. If he can get them back to 8-3 or 9-2 and playoff games that in itself is a major accomplishment. Seriously, what mastermind HC is out there that would think the WT HC job is the pinnacle of D2?

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

OK I will answer it this way.

.565 is extremely successful combined at ENMU and Kearney since they both were bottom dwellers in tough conferences.

If he went .565 at Ferris State or Northwest Missouri State then that would have been a failure.

I was honestly hoping for an offensive wizard mastermind that would take WT back to the Carthel days.

The state that WT is at now I think Lynn is the appropriate hire who knows how to do more with less.

Time will tell at the end of the 2020s if McBroom is right or on to the next.
            So, the answer is YES. Mediocre is successful. Gotcha.

Comment

Originally posted by D2Assassin View Post

Am I now? Leach won 3 conference titles in 21 years as a HC. Do you consider that a great coach?

Maybe I am on an island. I consider a great coach a consistent winner. Regardless of the obstacles in front of him. My example in D2 would be Coach T (Mel Tjeerdsma) who holds a .747, 12 conference titles and 3 natty's.

Now not everyone will be a Coach T, but I never understand why when a coach is hired many ADs settle for a guy who has proven he is a mediocre coach....meaning in the.500 range and EXPECT to be national contenders. I am not saying that a .500 coach is a bad coach.....I am just saying if you want to be a national contender a proven mediocre coach is NOT the right choice. And that's MY opinion. You are free to have your own.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Leach just passed from this world after a massive heart attack Sunday.
                So sad to hear. Such a young guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                  This thread has me laughing out loud. Expectations? That bar has been set extremely low by the past two HCs so I really don't think he could prove himself to be as inept as those two. WT hasn't sniffed the playoffs since I don't know when and people are talking about Lynn's limitations. LOL. His biggest challenge isn't going to be coaching football its going to be figuring out how to deal with Methuselah aka WT Prez. He has already proven he is light years ahead of the last two. If he can get them back to 8-3 or 9-2 and playoff games that in itself is a major accomplishment. Seriously, what mastermind HC is out there that would think the WT HC job is the pinnacle of D2?
                  Great post.

All you hear is how all WT sports are competing for natty's and football needs to be the same. Okay! Then find a natty caliber coach and the proper admin to support him. OR.....lower your expectations and stop complaining every year.
                  Last edited by ASUPops; 12-14-2022, 11:17 PM.

Comment

I did a little research on Josh Lynn's record.

Eastern New Mexico
                    2012 0-7 LSC 0-6
                    2013. 7-3 5-1 LSC Co-Champ
                    2014 7-4 3-4
                    2015 6-6 3-3 Heart of Texas Bowl
                    2016 7-5 6-3 Heart of Texas Bowl
                    Kearney
                    2017 3-8 MIAA 3-8
                    2018 5-6 5-6
                    2019 7-5 6-5. Bowl game?
                    2020 2-0
                    2021 10-3 9-2 NCAA playoffs quarterfinals
                    2022 8-3. 8-3

If my math is correct and no typos exist, Lynn's overall HC record is 62-50, 55% win %.

But, if we eliminate his first partial 0-7 season at ENMU, and his first 3-8 season at UNK (coming off of a 1-10 predecessor), his record is 59-35, a 63% win %.

When evaluating Lynn's record, I think it's fair to give him some slack for his first year at ENMU and UNK. If so, is his (first year eliminated) 63% win record adequate for is tenure at ENM and UNK? I'd say that 63% win % is pretty damn good considering everything. Was (is) ENMU a plum D2 job? No. Definitively no. Was (is) UNK a plum D2 job? I don't know enough. It appears UNK was in the tank before Lynn showed up.

Is WT a plum job? I don't know anymore. WT does not have the winning tradition of a NWMSU. How many schools do? WT won for a few years with Carthel. Did WT win a NC with several future NFL types on roster? No. Several NCAA berths with one semifinal appearance. Facilities at WT, especially with the completion of the Bain Center, are outstanding. WT has a FB stadium that is in the top 3 in D2. All WT FB needs to have the absolute best in D2 facilities is an indoor practice facility like Washburn's (someone with $25M please step up). Budget support for FB? A lot of numbers have been floated around here from fully funded scholarships to 27 scholarships. Some have stated any past budget shortfalls have been made up from outside sources. I've heard all kinds of rumors. WT's overall budget is over $10M. I do know our AD has worked his tail off to hire good coaches and give them the resources to be successful. Will he be able to continue to do so under the current administration? Josh Lynn must think so or he wouldn't have left Kearney.

Back to the question at hand. Lynn competed in an LSC that still included Commerce and Tarleton. The MIAA is considered the premier D2 FB conference and Lynn competed well. If we exclude Lynn's first year at ENMU and UNK, is a 63% win record considered a good one? If you recognize where Lynn coached, I'd give him a solid B+ grade for his coaching record. Maybe even an A-. That said, considering what WT brings to the table for a good coach a 7-4 average season at WT won't cut it. Lynn needs to win some LSC titles and bump that win % up to at least 77%, 8.5 wins per season minimum. I'd go further and say once Lynn gets his feet on the ground, he needs to average 9 wins a season to be successful at WT. Off course, we'll exclude his first year at the helm of the Buffs.

As a loyal Buff fan, who's been watching WT since 1968, I'm a bit like Jerry Jones.......I don't know how many more seasons I'll be around for......so, there is no other season than this season. Win now. Win now. Win now.

Comments?
                    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 12-15-2022, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Comments?
                      I think your take is a pretty good one. I know that Pops will deride you for this, but as we all know, that is what he does and why we keep him around.

I think that Lynn is a good hire but he is not an exciting hire. He doesn't bring that Wow factor that someone else might have. In fact, I don't sense the excitement in the WT faithful that even the Hunter Hughes hiring had way back. At the time of his hiring WT was fired up about the future. Right now it is more of a wait and see.

Comment

Who would be considered a grand slam hire? I like small college football, but it is just that, not D1. I think a lot of those FCS coaches aren't that great. Whom did you expect to get, Nick Saban? The guy has a winning track record, ability to rebuild programs, not sure how much WT needs to be rebuilt? Who would've been a more exciting hire? Perhaps someone from Mary Hardin Baylor, a lower level but more winning?

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                          I did a little research on Josh Lynn's record.

Eastern New Mexico
                          2012 0-7 LSC 0-6
                          2013. 7-3 5-1 LSC Co-Champ
                          2014 7-4 3-4
                          2015 6-6 3-3 Heart of Texas Bowl
                          2016 7-5 6-3 Heart of Texas Bowl
                          Kearney
                          2017 3-8 MIAA 3-8
                          2018 5-6 5-6
                          2019 7-5 6-5. Bowl game?
                          2020 2-0
                          2021 10-3 9-2 NCAA playoffs quarterfinals
                          2022 8-3. 8-3

If my math is correct and no typos exist, Lynn's overall HC record is 62-50, 55% win %.

But, if we eliminate his first partial 0-7 season at ENMU, and his first 3-8 season at UNK (coming off of a 1-10 predecessor), his record is 59-35, a 63% win %.

When evaluating Lynn's record, I think it's fair to give him some slack for his first year at ENMU and UNK. If so, is his (first year eliminated) 63% win record adequate for is tenure at ENM and UNK? I'd say that 63% win % is pretty damn good considering everything. Was (is) ENMU a plum D2 job? No. Definitively no. Was (is) UNK a plum D2 job? I don't know enough. It appears UNK was in the tank before Lynn showed up.

Is WT a plum job? I don't know anymore. WT does not have the winning tradition of a NWMSU. How many schools do? WT won for a few years with Carthel. Did WT win a NC with several future NFL types on roster? No. Several NCAA berths with one semifinal appearance. Facilities at WT, especially with the completion of the Bain Center, are outstanding. WT has a FB stadium that is in the top 3 in D2. All WT FB needs to have the absolute best in D2 facilities is an indoor practice facility like Washburn's (someone with $25M please step up). Budget support for FB? A lot of numbers have been floated around here from fully funded scholarships to 27 scholarships. Some have stated any past budget shortfalls have been made up from outside sources. I've heard all kinds of rumors. WT's overall budget is over $10M. I do know our AD has worked his tail off to hire good coaches and give them the resources to be successful. Will he be able to continue to do so under the current administration? Josh Lynn must think so or he wouldn't have left Kearney.

Back to the question at hand. Lynn competed in an LSC that still included Commerce and Tarleton. The MIAA is considered the premier D2 FB conference and Lynn competed well. If we exclude Lynn's first year at ENMU and UNK, is a 63% win record considered a good one? If you recognize where Lynn coached, I'd give him a solid B+ grade for his coaching record. Maybe even an A-. That said, considering what WT brings to the table for a good coach a 7-4 average season at WT won't cut it. Lynn needs to win some LSC titles and bump that win % up to at least 77%, 8.5 wins per season minimum. I'd go further and say once Lynn gets his feet on the ground, he needs to average 9 wins a season to be successful at WT. Off course, we'll exclude his first year at the helm of the Buffs.

As a loyal Buff fan, who's been watching WT since 1968, I'm a bit like Jerry Jones.......I don't know how many more seasons I'll be around for. There is no other season than this season. Win now. Win now. Win now.

Comments?
                          I agree with this.

However, if you kick out Hunter Hughes 1st year & COVID year, he is a .590 coach. Better than Jimmy Johnson....haha. Then why was he fired?

Everyone keeps mentioning TAMUC like they were the juggernaut. May I remind you thst they were 7-4 their last season losing to both Midwestern and the new LSC juggernaut Angelo state.

And Tareleton had a couple of good seasons just before jumping to FCS.
                          Last edited by ASUPops; 12-15-2022, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by texcap View Post

I think your take is a pretty good one. I know that Pops will deride you for this, but as we all know, that is what he does and why we keep him around.

I think that Lynn is a good hire but he is not an exciting hire. He doesn't bring that Wow factor that someone else might have. In fact, I don't sense the excitement in the WT faithful that even the Hunter Hughes hiring had way back. At the time of his hiring WT was fired up about the future. Right now it is more of a wait and see.
                            I’m not trying to be jerky… Who would bring the ‘wow’ factor? Would the fans be wowed by a name? By a D1 burnout? Most of the wow factor guys would be in a retirement situation. Not sure that would be the best fit for WT either. Bailiff is already gone from Commerce.

Comment

Originally posted by texcap View Post

We're wait and see because we've been burned.

The Hughes years wore me down. Just wore me down.

It was like being an 18 year old WT college freshman regularly going out with that sexy Chi Omega brunette. Hot and heavy. Always stealing third base, but never quite scoring. Putting up with close but no real cigar. Moving on down the beaver patch and later finding out one of your pledge brothers is hitting home runs with her. Well, it can just wear you down. Make you think twice about your judgement skills (and misplaced sense of being a "gentleman," ha!). Pretty soon you get tired of the same old BS. That was Hughes. Just wore me down. Lotta tease not a bitta hell yes!
                              Last edited by BuffaloChip; 12-15-2022, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

I’m not trying to be jerky… Who would bring the ‘wow’ factor? Would the fans be wowed by a name? By a D1 burnout? Most of the wow factor guys would be in a retirement situation. Not sure that would be the best fit for WT either. Bailiff is already gone from Commerce.
                                Adam Clark. Pete Sterbick. Steve Annese. And many others!

The question....WHO applied?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X