Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Here is a towel. You got a bit of egg on your face. Those darn facts get ya every time! 70707 😉
    Don't think there was a right or wrong answer just different ways of seeing it.

If you keep giving Brandon those virtual goo goo eyes every time he posts on this topic you might as well take a shot and ask him out to dinner. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

I think what Buffalo Islander Alum and to some extent what I've been trying to say, once upon a time the best the LSC had would've never lost to CSM or any RMAC team in the playoffs. That didn't start happening until CSU Pueblo made it's playoff runs and since then it appears we've been on the short end of the stick. That's where I'm drawing my conclusions from in addition to actually seeing CSM get mauled by Ferris. But even when a team gets beat like CSM did, you can still see little glimpses of why that team got there in the first place and maybe unfairly I didn't see it. This is why I asked if Angelo was in a sense a paper tiger because if they lost to that team I couldn't imagine what Ferris would've done to them.
      Like Turbonium said above. The RMAC has improved a lot since Pueblo came along and got them to dump the scholly limit. Maybe the LSC is a little down, but the top RMAC teams are worlds better than they used to be.

Comment

That's very possible. I was shocked to hear that during the broadcast. I have noticed more prospects being offered from out of state schools and some I've never heard of for that matter. It might me more out there for public view thanks to these kids marketing themselves on social media. A kid gets an offer, he Tweets it and it get retweeted by news outlets and others. It's like they use the same script too.

I do think D1's have an impact. Twenty years ago, TAMUK only had to worry about Texas State (SWT) as main it's competitor in the region for recruits. UTSA and UIW football was not even a dream and in fact some UTSA alums and big wigs would've laughed in your face if you told them 20 years later they would have a football program making a national impact. Now they both have very respectable football programs, Texas State is no longer D-1-AA/FCS but in the FBS. Prairie View A&M used to be a laughing stock in the Houston area which was a recruiting ground for TAMUK for decades and they've improved. Same goes for the University of Houston which had a couple of decades where I don't think 80% of Houston knew their university had a football program unless they hosted UT or A&M for a game and the only reason those two school would go to the U of H for a game was for their giant alumni bases in the oil industry to get together for pre and post game stuff and have them write checks. So yes I'd say it's a good possibility the rise of the above has maybe had a significant impact. And now we will have UT-RGV to our south going full FBS in 2025 and putting the money behind it. How TAMUK responds is going to be interesting,
        Mines is one of the nation's top engineering schools. If you're a serious student, majoring in engineering, and can ball, Mines is among your best options. You don't have sketchy kids at Mines that were slipped through with a wink and a nod. No looking the other way because a kid can run a 4.4 40. Mines is tough to get into and tough to get out of. No frauds need apply.

Comment

That's very possible. I was shocked to hear that during the broadcast. I have noticed more prospects being offered from out of state schools and some I've never heard of for that matter. It might me more out there for public view thanks to these kids marketing themselves on social media. A kid gets an offer, he Tweets it and it get retweeted by news outlets and others. It's like they use the same script too.

I do think D1's have an impact. Twenty years ago, TAMUK only had to worry about Texas State (SWT) as main it's competitor in the region for recruits. UTSA and UIW football was not even a dream and in fact some UTSA alums and big wigs would've laughed in your face if you told them 20 years later they would have a football program making a national impact. Now they both have very respectable football programs, Texas State is no longer D-1-AA/FCS but in the FBS. Prairie View A&M used to be a laughing stock in the Houston area which was a recruiting ground for TAMUK for decades and they've improved. Same goes for the University of Houston which had a couple of decades where I don't think 80% of Houston knew their university had a football program unless they hosted UT or A&M for a game and the only reason those two school would go to the U of H for a game was for their giant alumni bases in the oil industry to get together for pre and post game stuff and have them write checks. So yes I'd say it's a good possibility the rise of the above has maybe had a significant impact. And now we will have UT-RGV to our south going full FBS in 2025 and putting the money behind it. How TAMUK responds is going to be interesting,
          Recruiting used to be all about knowing HS coaches. Now it's all social media and professional search firms. It's a totally different ball game.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

Mines is one of the nation's top engineering schools. If you're a serious student, majoring in engineering, and can ball, Mines is among your best options. You don't have sketchy kids at Mines that were slipped through with a wink and a nod. No looking the other way because a kid can run a 4.4 40. Mines is tough to get into and tough to get out of. No frauds need apply.
            #55 in US in Engineering. 57% acceptance rate.

Comment

#55 in US in Engineering. 57% acceptance rate.
              https://www.mines.edu/about/rankings/

Further rankings of various sorts.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Like Turbonium said above. The RMAC has improved a lot since Pueblo came along and got them to dump the scholly limit. Maybe the LSC is a little down, but the top RMAC teams are worlds better than they used to be.
                I think Chadron put the ball in motion in the late 2000s beating WT and ACU in the playoffs and playing NWMSU competitive.

Pueblo built on it and here we are today.

Speaking from a WT fans perspective the bottom line is the LSC conference as a whole is much weaker and the region is much weaker than it was back then.

This is why there is a frustration (with many other things) that WT can't get back to where they were to be a major player.

Comment

This is not exactly true as far as the recruiting trail goes. Although, I will agree with the vstaying and maintaining grades part of it. I have been through this process and coaches can get players into schools that they have no business being at.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I think Chadron put the ball in motion in the late 2000s beating WT and ACU in the playoffs and playing NWMSU competitive.

Pueblo built on it and here we are today.

Speaking from a WT fans perspective the bottom line is the LSC conference as a whole is much weaker and the region is much weaker than it was back then.

This is why there is a frustration (with many other things) that WT can't get back to where they were to be a major player.
                    I remember when Chadron was so good due to Danny Woodhead. He lasted a lot longer in the pros than I expected and had a respectable career. It took a while to get going though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Woodhead

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Recruiting used to be all about knowing HS coaches. Now it's all social media and professional search firms. It's a totally different ball game.
                      It’s different world for sure. In this state, building relationships with HS coaches still helps.

Comment

Mines kind of reminds me of former D2 member UC Davis. We played them a number of times in the playoffs and for the most part man for man save maybe their QB, a few skills players and a Lineman or two, they were physically mismatched. But mentally and discipline wise, they were a couple of steps ahead and beat us in those games. I believe they had very limited scholarships up to the time they made the move FCS.

Comment

It’s different world for sure. In this state, building relationships with HS coaches still helps.
                          HS coaches made a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Don't think there was a right or wrong answer just different ways of seeing it.

If you keep giving Brandon those virtual goo goo eyes every time he posts on this topic you might as well take a shot and ask him out to dinner. ;)
                            He already made fun of how goofy looking our Sunday night crew is.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

He already made fun of how goofy looking our Sunday night crew is.
                              I am glad everyone has a sense of humor.

Merry Christmas to you Brandon, ASUPops, LSCFan, etc.

Comment

HS coaches made a huge difference.
                                They sure do here in Texas. I think we will see a real test of this with Matt Rhule at Nebraska and if he can open up those recruiting pipelines he was building when he was at Baylor. He took time to learn the landscape instead of trying to fake and wing it like some outsiders and the coaches respected him for that.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X