Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    I was a big fan of Vigil early on in the season to replace HughesI if the WT job opened.

Then, I heard from an indisputably unimpeachable source that Vigil won at WNMU by running a renegade program. AD's around the league were receiving panicked calls from the WNMU AD about what to do with Vigil's methods? Players there to play ball only. Not going to class. Unable to get in to schools anywhere else. NCAA rules out the windowr. Many, many with a close association with local law enforcement. Fights, bar brawls every weekend. Etcetcetc. Basically the WNMU AD was told he had 2 choices: fire Vigil and replace him or hope he wins enough to move on. Vigil recruited dozens of kids who couldn't get in at a place like ASU, MSU, or WT because of academic and/or character shortcomings. This is not my speculation. It is, as I said, from an unimpeachable front-line source.

I hope the leopard changes his spots at Pueblo, but..........
    I think it’s likely that your “unimpeachable source” said what you posted; i.e., that Vigil ran a renegade program and brought rouge JC players that Midwestern and West Texas wouldn’t recruit. But it’s also likely that your source is either embellishing what he heard or repeating allegations that are made up. At least one coach in the Lone Star State has been known to make stuff up.

Back in 2014 CSUP throttled Sam Houston State after the Bearkats came off a big loss to LSU. The T-Wolves beat Sam 47 to 21. The game wasn’t close. K.C. Keeler (Sam’s HC), who most would consider an “unimpeachable source,” tried to downplay Sam’s loss during a postgame press conference. He said that CSUP was not your ordinary DII team. He claimed CSUP was stacked with DI rejects that weren’t academically capable of performing at the higher level. He said some of CSUP’s players came from the Air Force Prep School while others were from a variety of Division I schools out west. He had a hard time accepting that fact that a little lowly RMAC team had just manhandled the Bearkitties. The truth is, all of the players on that CSUP team were recruited out of high school to play in Pueblo. None were Division I rejects. Either Keeler embellished a negative thing he heard near the watercooler or he made the whole thing up to make himself feel better about the lopsided loss.

Here’s what we know about Vigil. He was an All-RMAC QB at Colorado Mesa and a prolific passer. Before getting the HC job at WNM, he was an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator for Colby Carthel at Stephen F. Austin. Before that he was an assistant at Fort Hays State for 4 years. Before Fort Hays he was an assistant for 3 years at Colorado Mesa where he coached QBs. He also served as an assistant at Northwest Missouri State for 2 years. He started his coaching career at Colorado School of Mines where he coached DBs for 1 year. In sum, Vigil has coached at programs whose ethics and practices are presumptively “unimpeachable.”

Now then, did Vigil go full-on loco after arriving in Silver City, NM? I would if I had to live there. Or did people at MSU and WT get butt hurt after losses to WNM to the point where they manufactured stuff to diminish the defeats. After all, WNM won only 1 game to mighty Adams State of the lowly RMAC the season before last year’s winning season. But then again, who knows? Maybe Vigil is a dastardly unethical character who cleverly hid his diabolical traits over the years and fiendishly set them into free and unfettered play after becoming HC in Silver City. So are we now seeing the “real coach Vigil”? Stay tuned to find out . . . same bat channel . . . same bat station. Aloha!

Comment

Originally posted by Lobo View Post

I think it’s likely that your “unimpeachable source” said what you posted; i.e., that Vigil ran a renegade program and brought rouge JC players that Midwestern and West Texas wouldn’t recruit. But it’s also likely that your source is either embellishing what he heard or repeating allegations that are made up. At least one coach in the Lone Star State has been known to make stuff up.

Back in 2014 CSUP throttled Sam Houston State after the Bearkats came off a big loss to LSU. The T-Wolves beat Sam 47 to 21. The game wasn’t close. K.C. Keeler (Sam’s HC), who most would consider an “unimpeachable source,” tried to downplay Sam’s loss during a postgame press conference. He said that CSUP was not your ordinary DII team. He claimed CSUP was stacked with DI rejects that weren’t academically capable of performing at the higher level. He said some of CSUP’s players came from the Air Force Prep School while others were from a variety of Division I schools out west. He had a hard time accepting that fact that a little lowly RMAC team had just manhandled the Bearkitties. The truth is, all of the players on that CSUP team were recruited out of high school to play in Pueblo. None were Division I rejects. Either Keeler embellished a negative thing he heard near the watercooler or he made the whole thing up to make himself feel better about the lopsided loss.

Here’s what we know about Vigil. He was an All-RMAC QB at Colorado Mesa and a prolific passer. Before getting the HC job at WNM, he was an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator for Colby Carthel at Stephen F. Austin. Before that he was an assistant at Fort Hays State for 4 years. Before Fort Hays he was an assistant for 3 years at Colorado Mesa where he coached QBs. He also served as an assistant at Northwest Missouri State for 2 years. He started his coaching career at Colorado School of Mines where he coached DBs for 1 year. In sum, Vigil has coached at programs whose ethics and practices are presumptively “unimpeachable.”

Now then, did Vigil go full-on loco after arriving in Silver City, NM? I would if I had to live there. Or did people at MSU and WT get butt hurt after losses to WNM to the point where they manufactured stuff to diminish the defeats. After all, WNM won only 1 game to mighty Adams State of the lowly RMAC the season before last year’s winning season. But then again, who knows? Maybe Vigil is a dastardly unethical character who cleverly hid his diabolical traits over the years and fiendishly set them into free and unfettered play after becoming HC in Silver City. So are we now seeing the “real coach Vigil”? Stay tuned to find out . . . same bat channel . . . same bat station. Aloha!
      Wasn't Eric Young the coach at New Mexico Highlands about 10 years ago that gambled with that strategy of getting all the rejects?

I remember him going 8-3 one year at Highlands and tried to parlay that but had two losing seasons after that and ended up back at the high school level.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Wasn't Eric Young the coach at New Mexico Highlands about 10 years ago that gambled with that strategy of getting all the rejects?

I remember him going 8-3 one year at Highlands and tried to parlay that but had two losing seasons after that and ended up back at the high school level.
        Yes. In 2013 Highlands posted a winning record, going 8 and 3. The roster was sprinkled with numerous DI and JUCO transfers, several of them 3 and 4 star Rivals and Scout prospects. Highlands led all of Division II in personal foul infractions. Numerous players lasted only one semester. Eric Young probably regrets having used this strategy.

Comment

This was a very fun post to read! Thanks.

This part made me think of a couple of WT administrators! "dastardly unethical character who cleverly hid his diabolical traits over the years and fiendishly set them into free and unfettered play after becoming...".

Comment

I heard that he once shot a man in Reno.......Just to watch him die.

Comment

For my 2 cents Vigil was going after in state kids like he was planning on being there a while. He contacted EVERY coach in the state numerous times, he def wasn't running the program like he was going to be one and done.

Bud Elliott and Lynn at ENMU used the same tactic recruit the state heavy bring in Cali/tex jucos that could play but were personality projects to get some winning under your feet then start being more selective with your transfers in the years that follow cause now you can pull some higher level HS recruits. Elliott used his "Greyhound Way" to try to civilize most of them but a couple years here and there it was rough. My freshman year 1996-1997 was especially bad the former District attourney here Matt Chandler got beat up twice(he was a Junior). There was a group who would specifically go around starting fights at parties, (I personally got a cue ball thrown at my head....haha).
              I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                I heard that he once shot a man in Reno.......Just to watch him die.
                I heard that, too.

Comment

I got a good laugh out of the paragraph about the Sammy Houston coach and his reaction to the loss in 2014. Geeze he makes Sammy out to look like Rice U for crying out loud when their top majors or where they get their rep from in Texas is Criminal Justice and Education. Absolutely nothing wrong with those majors, but the cream of the crop from high schools on the academic side are not rushing to Sam Houston in huge numbers as they do to UT, A&M, etc if they want to stay in the state. Unless, of course, they want to major in Criminal Justice. But when he talks about football players and transfers, I kind of recall the day when their rosters were full of old SWC/Big 12 rejects who either couldn't cut it academically at places like Cougar High ( That is the University of Houston for you outsiders). Or never sniffed the field and decided to transfer. They also were stacked with JUCOs from Blinn, Kilgore, and Trinity Valley who had to go that route to get the grades up and ended up coming short and ended up at the SLC schools at the time or the D2's like TAMUK, Commerce, Angelo, etc, Just SMH at the way that guy framed it, and I bet that roster in 2014 had many of the same types of players and they still get them today, but the good ol transfer portal helps hide the backstory.

Comment

Now then, did Vigil go full-on loco after arriving in Silver City, NM? I would if I had to live there. Or did people at MSU and WT get butt hurt after losses to WNM to the point where they manufactured stuff to diminish the defeats. After all, WNM won only 1 game to mighty Adams State of the lowly RMAC the season before last year’s winning season. But then again, who knows? Maybe Vigil is a dastardly unethical character who cleverly hid his diabolical traits over the years and fiendishly set them into free and unfettered play after becoming HC in Silver City. So are we now seeing the “real coach Vigil”? Stay tuned to find out . . . same bat channel . . . bat station. Aloha!
                    I stand by my "unimpeachable" source. Vigil did run a totally renegade program at WNMU. This does not mean he will run a similar program at Pueblo. It's a statement about the program he ran at WNMU. However, it does put him on notice at Pueblo. Everybody's aware of what went on at WNMU and Vigil will be watched closely.

I very much doubt that Wristen ever ran a program that even got close to recruiting kids that were academic and character wash-outs. How Vigil operates at Pueblo will be a reflection of the AD's and administration's desires and constraints. I expect to see Vigil run a Writsten-clean operation.

Comment

I stand by my "unimpeachable" source. Vigil did run a totally renegade program at WNMU. This does not mean he will run a similar program at Pueblo. It's a statement about the program he ran at WNMU. However, it does put him on notice at Pueblo. Everybody's aware of what went on at WNMU and Vigil will be watched closely.

I very much doubt that Wristen ever ran a program that even got close to recruiting kids that were academic and character wash-outs. How Vigil operates at Pueblo will be a reflection of the AD's and administration's desires and constraints. I expect to see Vigil run a Writsten-clean operation.
                      Is your “unimpeachable” source sure that “everybody” knew that Vigil ran a renegade program at WNM? Or does your source mean “everybody at WT and Midwestern”? The reason I ask is because Scott Noble, Executive Director of Athletics, must have been kept in the dark. Either that or he fibbed in a press release announcing Vigil’s departure from Silver City. Here’s what he said immediately after Vigil accepted the gig at CSUP:

"When you hire extraordinary people who do extraordinary things, it can be hard to keep them. We were very fortunate to have had Phil and Melanie Vigil, along with their children Peyton, Ava, and Olivia, as part of our Mustang family for the last two years. Coach Vigil's success here has been unmatched for the last 29 years; and when special people have special seasons, people take notice. We knew there would be a time when success would lead to new opportunities for Coach and his family. We wish them the best as he takes over the football program at CSU-Pueblo. Now we turn the page.”

Comment

Is your “unimpeachable” source sure that “everybody” knew that Vigil ran a renegade program at WNM? Or does your source mean “everybody at WT and Midwestern”? The reason I ask is because Scott Noble, Executive Director of Athletics, must have been kept in the dark. Either that or he fibbed in a press release announcing Vigil’s departure from Silver City. Here’s what he said immediately after Vigil accepted the gig at CSUP:

"When you hire extraordinary people who do extraordinary things, it can be hard to keep them. We were very fortunate to have had Phil and Melanie Vigil, along with their children Peyton, Ava, and Olivia, as part of our Mustang family for the last two years. Coach Vigil's success here has been unmatched for the last 29 years; and when special people have special seasons, people take notice. We knew there would be a time when success would lead to new opportunities for Coach and his family. We wish them the best as he takes over the football program at CSU-Pueblo. Now we turn the page.”
                        Read "by Vigil leaving WNMU I can go to sleep at night and not worry about more 2am calls from the police nor about an NCAA rules violation case." He fibbed. Like I said, I bet Vigil's recruiting will be scrutinized at Pueblo. Pueblo's admissions and compliance people will be forewarned to be on the lookout for potential problems. And nip them in the bud.

You can disagree and I respect that. But, if you take a real close look at Vigil's time at WNMU, he did whatever he needed to do to win and get a better gig. It worked.

Comment

Read "by Vigil leaving WNMU I can go to sleep at night and not worry about more 2am calls from the police nor about an NCAA rules violation case." He fibbed. Like I said, I bet Vigil's recruiting will be scrutinized at Pueblo. Pueblo's admissions and compliance people will be forewarned to be on the lookout for potential problems. And nip them in the bud.

You can disagree and I respect that. But, if you take a real close look at Vigil's time at WNMU, he did whatever he needed to do to win and get a better gig. It worked.
                          Maybe worry more about beating Simon Fraser.

Comment

I was a big fan of Vigil early on in the season to replace HughesI if the WT job opened.

Then, I heard from an indisputably unimpeachable source that Vigil won at WNMU by running a renegade program. AD's around the league were receiving panicked calls from the WNMU AD about what to do with Vigil's methods? Players there to play ball only. Not going to class. Unable to get in to schools anywhere else. NCAA rules out the windowr. Many, many with a close association with local law enforcement. Fights, bar brawls every weekend. Etcetcetc. Basically the WNMU AD was told he had 2 choices: fire Vigil and replace him or hope he wins enough to move on. Vigil recruited dozens of kids who couldn't get in at a place like ASU, MSU, or WT because of academic and/or character shortcomings. This is not my speculation. It is, as I said, from an unimpeachable front-line source.

I hope the leopard changes his spots at Pueblo, but..........
                            I, like Buff90 , call BS.

Vigil had 24 JUCOs he recruited and signed, several very much wanted and recruited by 3 other LSC teams. He also brought a few over from SFA. He learned recruiting from Carthel. Especially from Don, who loved JUCO's. Go look back and look at some WT rosters from Carthel days. Especially earlier days.

Lots of coaches depend on JUCO's especially when they are a new hire and want to win NOW.

Speaking of
                            "Many, many with a close association with local law enforcement." and character shortcomings....

Remember this:
                            https://www.newschannel10.com/story/...ayers-indicted

Or this:
                            https://www.newschannel10.com/story/...-investigation

Or this:
                            https://www.amarillo.com/story/news/...s/13098161007/

Please post links to the news stories on WNMU football players arrested or even questioned on ANY crime committed or even suspects of a crime during Vigil's watch. I'll wait.

WHILE YOU ARE LOOKING:

NM schools are always stepping stones for coaches (again, see Carthel).

Any time you recruit JUCO's there is a potential for some shenanigans. Always was....Always will be.

IMO, it is not fair to trash a coach's reputation on 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand hearsay. Especially when that coach did an awesome job and happened to upset your team. It's a bad look.

It's also not fair to bully young men that might not have high academic scores due to learning disabilities or less academic opportunities while growing up. Clearly, they made a turn around, hence why they are still in school instead of dropping out. Give them a break and maybe some props for not quiting. And again, several schools recruited many of these players as well.

As I proved, Carthel recruited thugs at WTAMU in order to WIN. Again, see the few cases I posted.

Also remember the academic fraud in WT football program:
                            https://www.amarillo.com/story/news/...t/13195448007/

I think I made my point.

I also think CSUP is getting a heck of a coach. Great hire in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Maybe worry more about beating Simon Fraser.
                              D'oh!

Your trolling is getting much better!

Proud of you!! 😄

Comment

Originally posted by texcap View Post
                                Football Scoop is reporting that Vigil is taking the CSU-Pueblo job:

https://footballscoop.com/news/sourc...ext-head-coach
                                It's been nearly a month and I'm still bummed out about this. :(

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X