Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENMU will have a hard time finding a spring scrimmage. No one will want to scrimmage the triple option. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
      ENMU will have a hard time finding a spring scrimmage. No one will want to scrimmage the triple option. IMO
      You are probably right.

I don't think any team should scrimmage within their own conference either. If it were me, I would keep what I am doing as low key as possible within the conference.

EXAMPLE:
      WTAMU vs OPSU
      MSU-TX vs SWOS
      ASU vs ACU (McMurray or HSU)
      TAMUK vs UIW
      Fill in the other LSC team match ups

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
        GAC teams would probably be willing.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

GAC teams would probably be willing.
          WT vs SWOkla is an easy 3 1/2 hour drive.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

WT vs SWOkla is an easy 3 1/2 hour drive.
            I replied to someone saying teams wouldn't be willing to scrimmage a triple option team. I think GAC teams wouldn't mind since they have to play a good triple option team every year.

I have no idea how far teams will be willing to travel for a scrimmage. Pitt did drive to WT in the covid season for a scrimmage. That was kind of a special circumstance, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

Is Montana NFHS state? If so how do you feel about the move to enforce most offensive penalties from the previous spot instead of the spot of the foul?

I for one am over the moon about it...no more 1st or 2nd and 30+....cause if a hold 9 yards deep.
              We are NFHS in Montana. I am okay either way. I know coaches hate the enforcement from the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

We are NFHS in Montana. I am okay either way. I know coaches hate the enforcement from the spot.
                Enforcement from foul spot is ludicrous.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Enforcement from foul spot is ludicrous.
                  But then in our post game discussion over beers, we can't say "how about that play that was third down and a cab ride?"

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

A spring scrimmage. Hmmm?. WT vs ENMU at Buffalo Stadium. A nice April spring Saturday. Noon start. A "mini" wagon wheel trophy.

Now that's a spring game you could charge for. I bet if you really promoted it (say a tie in with Pak a Sak or Phart n Phetchum) you could get 5,000 to show up. Charge $10 a head kid's 10 and under free plus concessions. Free to WT and ENMU students (with ID) and including free hot dogs on the field for players and fans after the game. Some bucks for each school.

I like it!
                    This is the kind of thinking the AD needs to have. Promote the sports, especially football. They used to do that.

Comment

You are probably right.

I don't think any team should scrimmage within their own conference either. If it were me, I would keep what I am doing as low key as possible within the conference.

EXAMPLE:
                      WTAMU vs OPSU
                      MSU-TX vs SWOS
                      ASU vs ACU (McMurray or HSU)
                      TAMUK vs UIW
                      Fill in the other LSC team match ups
                      This is kinda off topic, but what the heck....

What are the odds that TAMUK will ever be able to schedule UIW, Tarleton, TAMU-Commerce, or Abilene Christian in a non-conference games?

Please correct me where I am wrong, but it has been nearly 20 years since Kingsville was regularly, or at all, scheduling FCS teams. And I, for one, miss those days and some of the schools that the LSC has lost to FCS.

I might be getting a bit ahead of myself. If Kingsville continues to improve it still could easily be at least 2025 before they could be in a position to be confident about beating those schools more often than not. But it would at least give us something to look forward to.

Just a random thought.

Comment

Originally posted by TAMUK09 View Post

This is kinda off topic, but what the heck....

What are the odds that TAMUK will ever be able to schedule UIW, Tarleton, TAMU-Commerce, or Abilene Christian in a non-conference games?

Please correct me where I am wrong, but it has been nearly 20 years since Kingsville was regularly, or at all, scheduling FCS teams. And I, for one, miss those days and some of the schools that the LSC has lost to FCS.

I might be getting a bit ahead of myself. If Kingsville continues to improve it still could easily be at least 2025 before they could be in a position to be confident about beating those schools more often than not. But it would at least give us something to look forward to.

Just a random thought.
                        Probably close to zero unless they are hard up for a money game.

FCS games don't count towards D2 playoff eligibility and more apt to get players hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Probably close to zero unless they are hard up for a money game.

FCS games don't count towards D2 playoff eligibility and more apt to get players hurt.
                          If you schedule 11 games (1 FCS and 10 D2) and go 10-0 or 9-1 against D2 competition, you are going to the playoffs regardless. Kingsville did that back in the early 2000's. It will take Kingsville a while to get back to that, but it is possible at some point in the future.

Back in the day when Kingsville was playing FCS schools regularly there was not such a talent gap that Kingsville players were getting injured left and right. Not to mention that Kingsville was beating some good FCS schools on occasion.

It's not like we are talking about scheduling a great FBS school like Georgia or Alabama. That would never happen because it would never interest the FBS school and it would be suicidal for the D2 school.
                          Last edited by TAMUK09; 02-27-2023, 06:06 PM.

Comment

If you schedule 11 games (1 FCS and 10 D2) and go 10-0 or 9-1 against D2 competition, you are going to the playoffs regardless. Kingsville did that back in the early 2000's. It will take Kingsville a while to get back to that, but it is possible at some point in the future.

Back in the day when Kingsville was playing FCS schools regularly there was not such a talent gap that Kingsville players were getting injured left and right. Not to mention that Kingsville was beating some good FCS schools on occasion.

It's not like we are talking about scheduling a great FBS school like Georgia or Alabama. That would never happen because it would never interest the FBS school and it would be suicidal for the D2 school.
                            STARTERS on the LSC's top 5 teams can easily play FCS. They may or may not be starters or stars, but they do have the same talent level at most positions. There are plenty of FCS and even FBS talent on DII teams.

Here is an actual situation that took place: a FCS team offered 4 DL. All committed. A week before NLI, a star RB leaves the team, putting the FCS team in a bad situation. The FCS team pulls an offer to the #4 DL on their board to use the schollie for a RB. This DL kid was no longer being recruited because his HS coach told all inquiries that he already committed. Long story short, he wound up at WT.

This scenario and others similar happen EVERY year!!

I can also tell you some players choose DII over DI for various reasons.

My middle son received offers from NDS, Western Kentucky, and Notre Dame. Notre Dame pulled their offer. My son originally committed to NDS, but hated the idea of living 5 years in snow and freezing temps. He pulled his commitment. He also turned down Western K. When word got out, he was courted by 2 more DI & 6 DII recruiters, including Gaskamp at Angelo. Gas convinced him that Angelo was the best place for him. I often wondered what my boy would have done with 4 FCS NC rings from NDS. Haha.
                            Last edited by ASUPops; 02-28-2023, 04:43 AM.

Comment

More than likely yes on your playoff comments but you run the risk of dropping on the seed line behind teams that scheduled 11 D2 games.

That can make a huge difference between a home and playoff game and last time I looked Kingsville has no short road trips.

You saw last year where Kingsville dropped like a rock and was an after thought when they lost their second game.

Understand your comments on the talent gap but during the games I see the depth of play in scholarships usually get exposed late with rotations and things like that.

That Western Oregon at South Dakota State game could be a good example of that to watch.

Comment

STARTERS on the LSC's top 5 teams can easily play FCS. They may or may not be starters or stars, but they do have the same talent level at most positions. There are plenty of FCS and even FBS talent on DII teams.

Here is an actual situation that took place: a FCS team offered 4 DL. All committed. A week before NLI, a star RB leaves the team, putting the FCS team in a bad situation. The FCS team pulls an offer to the #4 DL on their board to use the schollie for a RB. This DL kid was no longer being recruited because his HS coach told all inquiries that he already committed. Long story short, he wound up at WT.

This scenario and others similar happen EVERY year!!

I can also tell you some players choose DII over DI for various reasons.

My middle son received offers from NDS, Western Kentucky, and Notre Dame. Notre Dame pulled their offer. My son originally committed to NDS, but hated the idea of living 5 years in snow and freezing temps. He pulled his commitment. He also turned down Western K. When word got out, he was courted by 2 more DI & 6 DII recruiters, including Gaskamp at Angelo. Gas convinced him that Angelo was the best place for him. I often wondered what my boy would have done with 4 FCS NC rings from NDS. Haha.
                                I have seen it play out both ways.

D2 over FCS for playing time but the risk you run there is you may not get a full scholarship to play D2 ball unless you can supplement with an athletic one.

I actually have a couple of friends of mine in the 90s that turned down playing for Southwestern Oklahoma State and went to D1AA schools to ride the bench.

Reason for that is their focus was graduating from Pharmacy School and knew they weren't going to go to the NFL after college.

They were happy with not being starters.

The D1AA schools they went to they were able to earn full scholarships and concentrate more on their Pharmacy studies.

Back then Southwestern Oklahoma State didn't offer any full rides (probably not now either) and their pharmacy standards were grueling and not athlete friendly.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X