Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWU Season Preview

https://cwuwildcatnation.blogspot.co...d-to-2023.html

Here is my updated season preview for the CWU team with a position and roster breakdown. The summary is below. I am mainly going off the team's roster on Hudl, as their website roster is currently not as updated. The Hudl roster does have several players with remaining eligibility not listed who did not participate in Senior Day last season and were hopefuls to return this season. Perhaps they decided not to return to the team after graduating this past spring.

As it stands now, at QB JJ Lemming is the only returner with any starting experience and Central has not (yet) added any transfers. 2021 GNAC Offensive MVP Quincy Glasper transferred to NAIA Eastern Oregon. Central however will have lots of depth at both RB and WR. Tre'jon Henderson leads the RB group with Cameron Daniels and Tyler Flanagan expected to have big roles, as well. At WR, Marcus Cook, Demonte Horton, and Darius Morrison all return and Payton Glasser returns at TE. CWU does lose 3 all-conference O-Linemen so they will have lots of younger players needing to step it up as they have only added one transfer.

Defensively, CWU is taking a major blow on the d-line, losing all of their starters from last season. CWU does add 3 JUCO transfers led by Demetrius Edwards, who held TWENTY other offers! At LB, Brett Accimus is the only key returner but CWU does add Kuma Scanlan from the one and only Independence CC. At DB, Central will be pretty loaded, getting back All-American CB Patrick Rogers and All-LSC safety Tanner Volk, along with several other key returners in Jeremy Banks, Dominic Wieburg, Jaylen Clay, and Tyeson Thomas. Expect them to have one of the best DB groups in the nation.

On special teams, only their punter Daniel Stewart returns. They lost kickers Ashton Wolff (Colorado State) and Jude Mullette, the latter of which is a major surprise considering he was an all-conference kicker last season. Long snapper Colson Brunner transferred to Oregon and is replaced by freshman Bennett Nield. Freshman kicker Quinton Pacheco and DII Glenville transfer kicker Josh Jones join the program.

Strengths: RB, WR, DB
    Questions: QB, OL, DL, LB, Special Teams

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post

Here is my updated season preview for the CWU team with a position and roster breakdown. The summary is below. I am mainly going off the team's roster on Hudl, as their website roster is currently not as updated. The Hudl roster does have several players with remaining eligibility not listed who did not participate in Senior Day last season and were hopefuls to return this season. Perhaps they decided not to return to the team after graduating this past spring.

As it stands now, at QB JJ Lemming is the only returner with any starting experience and Central has not (yet) added any transfers. 2021 GNAC Offensive MVP Quincy Glasper transferred to NAIA Eastern Oregon. Central however will have lots of depth at both RB and WR. Tre'jon Henderson leads the RB group with Cameron Daniels and Tyler Flanagan expected to have big roles, as well. At WR, Marcus Cook, Demonte Horton, and Darius Morrison all return and Payton Glasser returns at TE. CWU does lose 3 all-conference O-Linemen so they will have lots of younger players needing to step it up as they have only added one transfer.

Defensively, CWU is taking a major blow on the d-line, losing all of their starters from last season. CWU does add 3 JUCO transfers led by Demetrius Edwards, who held TWENTY other offers! At LB, Brett Accimus is the only key returner but CWU does add Kuma Scanlan from the one and only Independence CC. At DB, Central will be pretty loaded, getting back All-American CB Patrick Rogers and All-LSC safety Tanner Volk, along with several other key returners in Jeremy Banks, Dominic Wieburg, Jaylen Clay, and Tyeson Thomas. Expect them to have one of the best DB groups in the nation.

On special teams, only their punter Daniel Stewart returns. They lost kickers Ashton Wolff (Colorado State) and Jude Mullette, the latter of which is a major surprise considering he was an all-conference kicker last season. Long snapper Colson Brunner transferred to Oregon and is replaced by freshman Bennett Nield. Freshman kicker Quinton Pacheco and DII Glenville transfer kicker Josh Jones join the program.

Unfortunately, accird8ng to you, CWU's "Questions" include the trenches. Not good!

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Unfortunately, accird8ng to you, CWU's "Questions" include the trenches. Not good!
      On the o-line, they lost both All-con 1st-teamers as well as their all-con hon mention selection who was expected to return, but may have decided to call it good after graduating. And they only got one JUCO transfer so far. But losing ALL their starters on the defensive line is really brutal. They did find 3 JUCO transfers and have a good DT who redshirted last year so they might be able to reload okay. Training camp should be intense with all the spots up for grabs

Comment

On the o-line, they lost both All-con 1st-teamers as well as their all-con hon mention selection who was expected to return, but may have decided to call it good after graduating. And they only got one JUCO transfer so far. But losing ALL their starters on the defensive line is really brutal. They did find 3 JUCO transfers and have a good DT who redshirted last year so they might be able to reload okay. Training camp should be intense with all the spots up for grabs
        Should be fun to watch fall camp!!

Comment

QB Zach Matlock switching to WR. That only gives CWU 3 active QBs in JJ Lemming and redshirt freshmen Kennedy McGill and Justin Brennan. Will be interesting to see if Lemming remains the starter and we see more consistency from him, or if one of the other two will beat him out. I think Brennan saw the most action in the spring game over McGill, if that means anything

Comment

Offensive line depth worries me with the turnover from last year. Running back won't be an issue easily 5 deep. Run the Wing T ;-) 😉 I'm not worried with JJ I think he'll be improved from last year. Plus he has yet to play Spring ball since he's playing baseball. The guy has the prototypical body for a quarterback if your casting it for movie role. Question is he does he play like Jane or Tarzan.

Comment

QB Zach Matlock switching to WR. That only gives CWU 3 active QBs in JJ Lemming and redshirt freshmen Kennedy McGill and Justin Brennan. Will be interesting to see if Lemming remains the starter and we see more consistency from him, or if one of the other two will beat him out. I think Brennan saw the most action in the spring game over McGill, if that means anything
              Pitt got lucky and made it through last season with 2 QB'S who didn't redshirt. There definitely weren't many QB runs in the playbook.

Comment

Originally posted by the tav View Post
                Offensive line depth worries me with the turnover from last year. Running back won't be an issue easily 5 deep. Run the Wing T ;-) 😉 I'm not worried with JJ I think he'll be improved from last year. Plus he has yet to play Spring ball since he's playing baseball. The guy has the prototypical body for a quarterback if your casting it for movie role. Question is he does he play like Jane or Tarzan.
                I didn't think JJ played baseball this year. He's not on the '23 baseball roster.
                ​​​​​​https://wildcatsports.com/sports/baseball/roster/2023

Comment

Lemming played in the spring game. He didn't play baseball though. Probably to focus on football. Losing Kent Powell on the line was unfortunate. Will be a young line on both sides of the ball. Interesting to see who steps up next.

Comment

Originally posted by the tav View Post
                    Offensive line depth worries me with the turnover from last year. Running back won't be an issue easily 5 deep. Run the Wing T ;-) 😉 I'm not worried with JJ I think he'll be improved from last year. Plus he has yet to play Spring ball since he's playing baseball. The guy has the prototypical body for a quarterback if you’re casting it for movie role. Question is he does he play like Jane or Tarzan.
                    All those running backs, maybe they should have hired ENMU’s coach.

Comment

Lemming played in the spring game. He didn't play baseball though. Probably to focus on football. Losing Kent Powell on the line was unfortunate. Will be a young line on both sides of the ball. Interesting to see who steps up next.
                      Lemming or bust now. Run the ball and throw deep on play actions.

Comment

A good preview. Would you be OK if I cite your website when I write the LSC preview?

Comment

It's hard to list RB as a strength if OL is a question mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                            It's hard to list RB as a strength if OL is a question mark.
                            Only if you were Barry Sanders or Earl Campbell.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

A good preview. Would you be OK if I cite your website when I write the LSC preview?
                              Yeah sure thing!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X