Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good thing WT's stadium was pretty much a done deal by the time Walter had shown up. He and his "CFO" would have had WT playing at Canyon Junior High to save a nickel.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post
      Nicer if you like feel like you are miles away from the action. To me Ratliff is a better place to watch a game.

Why are they playing 20 miles away with Ratliff just down the road?
      AB is super nice, BUT the seating angle is really flat which kills the sight lines. No track but so you should feel closer but don't because of the flat grade. I'd heard it was because who built it and the baseball stadium were used to building baseball stadiums that have flatter seating grades.

Distance isn't that different as far as travel time. Nine minutes vs. 15 minutes. I bet the locker room is a lot nicer at AB. Ratliff is a dump.

Comment

Originally posted by Bippy McGoo View Post

AB is super nice, BUT the seating angle is really flat which kills the sight lines. No track but so you should feel closer but don't because of the flat grade. I'd heard it was because who built it and the baseball stadium were used to building baseball stadiums that have flatter seating grades.

Distance isn't that different as far as travel time. Nine minutes vs. 15 minutes. I bet the locker room is a lot nicer at AB. Ratliff is a dump.
        That is what I do not like about it. I always go from Wall and both stadiums are easy to get to.

Off topic but when I was in high school Odessa's WT Barrett stadium had the best grass field around and Midland Memorial was the worst though San Angelo was almost as bad

I remember a scrimmage at Ft Stockton's brand new stadium. The turf was solid grass burrs. WE were picking stickers for a month and Ft Stockton ended up burning the field off and playing on ashes that first year in their new stadium

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post
          That is what I do not like about it. I always go from Wall and both stadiums are easy to get to.

Off topic but when I was in high school Odessa's WT Barrett stadium had the best grass field around and Midland Memorial was the worst though San Angelo was almost as bad

I remember a scrimmage at Ft Stockton's brand new stadium. The turf was solid grass burrs. WE were picking stickers for a month and Ft Stockton ended up burning the field off and playing on ashes that first year in their new stadium
          When I played at San Angelo Stadium in the 90s the grass was great. Really thick and soft. Huge crown though which I didn't like. Worst was Old Bobcat, the field was just a giant fire ant kingdom. Well, the WORST field was Ratliff because it had Astroturf. That was some miserable stuff.

Comment

When I played at San Angelo Stadium in the 90s the grass was great. Really thick and soft. Huge crown though which I didn't like. Worst was Old Bobcat, the field was just a giant fire ant kingdom. Well, the WORST field was Ratliff because it had Astroturf. That was some miserable stuff.
            These days, most of your 6A/5A schools in Texas have artificial turf along with quite a few 4A schools. My how time has changed.
            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Yes, it got a lot better since I played there in 65 & 67.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

These days, most of your 6A/5A schools in Texas have artificial turf along with quite a few 4A schools. My how time has changed.
                Not to mention the stadiums that make some BCS stadiums look like dumps.

Comment

Many (if not most) of the 2A/3A schools in the Panhandle have artificial turf. I bet some 1A's do, too.

Comment

The stuff now is fine but the old Astroturf carpet was terrible!

Comment

The stuff now is fine but the old Astroturf carpet was terrible!
                      Yeah in the 80s in high school I remember watching a RB attempt a juke move on one of our defenders. Unfortunately his foot didnt follow his leg out of the turf and the leg snap sounded like snapping a tree branch. I still remember that sound to this day even though I was on the other side of the field from the play. Also had a nice shoulder sprain from a tackle thanks to that stuff. Since I knew my future wasnt in football I concentrated more on tennis and kept that arm healthy.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X