Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding the importance of the effectiveness of a quarterback is important. For some here it's personal because they are related and it should be personal for them.

For fans who drive a ways and can't wait to hopefully beat Central Washington, and the first four pass plays of the game are incompletions and the fifth is an interception, it's about quarterback effectiveness. Is the offense all the quarterbacks fault? No, but at some point in time the QB has to elevate their pass completion percentage and eliminate mistakes for the team to win. Could Winker do this? I'm hoping so.

He has shown flashes of brilliance over the years while equally struggling. Western Oregon hung with a quarterback for a couple years in Ty Curry, who had his struggles, his senior year he rose up and was the conference player of the year. No question about it his ability to play effectively at the quarterback position was a good reason Western Oregon was 7-4 that year and tied for the league title. To dismiss the importance of quality quarterback play baffles me.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronOre View Post

They gotta do something there.

I looked up Glasper, he's doing okay for Eastern Oregon, better than Lemming has done. I don't know why CWU sat him for Lemming last year.

https://eousports.com/sports/footbal...y-glasper/6961
      I think Glasper got hurt and Lemming was OK, so they ran with it. They tried to bring Glasper back and he was awful (the WT game?) and that was it.

I could be wrong about that, though. My memory of how that went down is not completely clear.

Another transfer who left the LSC was Nate Omayebu from ASU. He has 79 rushing yards at SE OK State in 4 games.

Comment

• Originally posted by tsull View Post
        Regarding the importance of the effectiveness of a quarterback is important. For some here it's personal because they are related and it should be personal for them.

For fans who drive a ways and can't wait to hopefully beat Central Washington, and the first four pass plays of the game are incompletions and the fifth is an interception, it's about quarterback effectiveness. Is the offense all the quarterbacks fault? No, but at some point in time the QB has to elevate their pass completion percentage and eliminate mistakes for the team to win. Could Winker do this? I'm hoping so.

He has shown flashes of brilliance over the years while equally struggling. Western Oregon hung with a quarterback for a couple years in Ty Curry, who had his struggles, his senior year he rose up and was the conference player of the year. No question about it his ability to play effectively at the quarterback position was a good reason Western Oregon was 7-4 that year and tied for the league title. To dismiss the importance of quality quarterback play baffles me.
        Not dismissing QB play, never did, without a doubt he is struggling especially with interceptions. Just also saying QB play is not the only factor in pass completion percentage. Hopefully he can turn it around this week.

Comment

I've been a donor and supporter of WOU athletics for many years, more than 20 ... maybe as long as you? I never question one's loyalty or lack thereof, or how much they donate; or how long they are fans. WOU fans do what they do, the patterns haven't changed in the history of the school. It's the school's culture, it won't change. They (the school) are not giving the coaches and players a level playing field, IMO, if you think I'm wrong on that, ask other D2 coaches and fans how they would think about going to battle on Saturdays with 13 scholarships, or in baseball with just a handful or less. Interesting how you question me but not the school. I hope you continue to travel and support the program for years to come, we need more fans like that.
          Thank you for your contributions and support. You have been doing so much longer than I have. I moved to the PNW in 2009 and no longer call it home. I think NAIA is the only viable option from a FB perspective. I will discuss with the AD at the next home game if I can find her, I was unable to track her down on Saturday.
          Last edited by SPWOU; 09-27-2023, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

Here is your offer as well as an attempt to educate you on all things PNW.
            Educate away my brethren. Haha.

Comment

• Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

I think Glasper got hurt and Lemming was OK, so they ran with it. They tried to bring Glasper back and he was awful (the WT game?) and that was it.

I could be wrong about that, though. My memory of how that went down is not completely clear.

Another transfer who left the LSC was Nate Omayebu from ASU. He has 79 rushing yards at SE OK State in 4 games.
              Yeah, he effed up leaving. So did several others. Bench warmers now.

Comment

• Originally posted by SPWOU View Post

Thank you for your contributions and support. You have been doing so much longer than I have. I moved to the PNW in 2009 and no longer call it home. I think NAIA is the only viable option from a FB perspective. I will discuss with the AD at the next home game if I can find her, I was unable to track her down on Saturday.
                Thanks for the nice response, I need to ease up on Gannon. I'm more frustrated with WOU football overall than anything. My NAIA spiel is that we could play locally, save money, add sports, and be competitive. In NAIA 13 scholarships one can compete, in D2 it's tough. Coach Ferguson and staff are magicians at times, like last year when I was at the West Texas game, the Wolves were fantastic. It's so tough to do that every week with 13 scholarships in D2, especially when injuries set in. I'm so worried that they would do something stupid like kill football to stay D2. That would really hurt our alums and tradition.

D2 football killed WWU, Humboldt, Simon Fraser football. If we still had that NAIA league, those schools would still have football. Even a state-school D3 league would be better if it kept football at schools. I'm not for killing football, but most college administrators are short-sighted and are in favor of cutting it, even A.D.'s.

If you went to downtown Salem 15 miles from campus and asked the average Joe in the sports bar what sports division WOU is in, they wouldn't know. Many die-hart sports alums I know don't know they are D2. Seriously, D2 membership isn't that big of deal. Admins take the easy way out, end football to keep something as silly as D2 membership when 100% of alums want football to stay. Playing football in Texas with 13 scholarships is tough.

I'd also be for D2 independent with a schedule of 2 Big Sky schools, CWU, Lincoln, a home and an away game with LSC, SOU and EOU (if they would play us) and someone else. The LSC is a great football conference with awesome talent that is a long, long ways away from Oregon and with 36-scholarship schools. The formula is tough for WOU. Props to the WOU players and coaches for hanging in there. WOU needs a plan B, and NOT EVER cut football. I don't trust the admins.

Comment

Thanks for the nice response, I need to ease up on Gannon. I'm more frustrated with WOU football overall than anything. My NAIA spiel is that we could play locally, save money, add sports, and be competitive. In NAIA 13 scholarships one can compete, in D2 it's tough. Coach Ferguson and staff are magicians at times, like last year when I was at the West Texas game, the Wolves were fantastic. It's so tough to do that every week with 13 scholarships in D2, especially when injuries set in. I'm so worried that they would do something stupid like kill football to stay D2. That would really hurt our alums and tradition.

D2 football killed WWU, Humboldt, Simon Fraser football. If we still had that NAIA league, those schools would still have football. Even a state-school D3 league would be better if it kept football at schools. I'm not for killing football, but most college administrators are short-sighted and are in favor of cutting it, even A.D.'s.

If you went to downtown Salem 15 miles from campus and asked the average Joe in the sports bar what sports division WOU is in, they wouldn't know. Many die-hart sports alums I know don't know they are D2. Seriously, D2 membership isn't that big of deal. Admins take the easy way out, end football to keep something as silly as D2 membership when 100% of alums want football to stay. Playing football in Texas with 13 scholarships is tough.

I'd also be for D2 independent with a schedule of 2 Big Sky schools, CWU, Lincoln, a home and an away game with LSC, SOU and EOU (if they would play us) and someone else. The LSC is a great football conference with awesome talent that is a long, long ways away from Oregon and with 36-scholarship schools. The formula is tough for WOU. Props to the WOU players and coaches for hanging in there. WOU needs a plan B, and NOT EVER cut football. I don't trust the admins.
                  You have plenty of valid points.
                  Regarding Winker, something to keep in mind is that while he has had 16 starts at WOU he ran the triple option in high school. He threw the ball 94 times in 9 games his senior year, 32 attempts (22 completions for 400 yds and 4 TDs in a loss at Sedro-Wolley) were in one game. Threw a lot less his sophomore and junior yrs. HC was new and first time ever as HC and spent one year at the USAFA, he was fired last year.
                  Last edited by SPWOU; 09-29-2023, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• #10 Utah QB pass completion % against lowly #19 Oregon State was less than 42% tonight.

Comment

#10 Utah QB pass completion % against lowly #19 Oregon State was less than 42% tonight.
                      They were brutal, that's why they had 195 yards of total offense; great D by the Beavs. OSU offense still a bit shaky but got the job done.

Comment

They were brutal, that's why they had 195 yards of total offense; great D by the Beavs. OSU offense still a bit shaky but got the job done.
                        Credit to OSU defense or UU QBs/offense suck? A matter of perspective? As the #10 team in the country could it be the latter?

Comment

Credit to OSU defense or UU QBs/offense suck? A matter of perspective? As the #10 team in the country could it be the latter?
                          Cam Rising is hurt backup is a frosh. Yeah maybe the two-time defending Conference champions should have a better backup quarterback in case things happen like they just did.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X