Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
    Was Josh Lynn not a good hire? How long has he been in Canyon? Of the "McBroom" coaches mentioned, I still come up with 53-43. Not great, but I wouldn't put it in the sucks category.

Some of you people need to get a grip. Putting "yeah buts" in front of every win is low class. Give the new coach some room.
    Thats true Herb

Comment

Looks like Hunter Hughes has landed in Idaho.

Hunter Hughes - Sams/Nickels - Staff Directory - University of Idaho Athletics (govandals.com)

Comment

Anecdotally, I had a long conversation this morning with a former WT FB player who last saw the field in Hughes' last year. He's not playing due to having been in the concussion protocol 4 times. He talked with Lynn and Gallegos about coming back, but decided his long term health was the priority. A former LB. From Florida. Still in school finishing his degree. Close to several players on the team. I asked him about how the players have responded to Lynn and his staff. He surprised the hell out of me when he went on for about 10 minutes. He claimed the guys love the new coaches, love the new culture, and are "tight" as a team. He expects lots of good things in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
          That sounds like a great deal for Hughes. I wish him the best of luck in D1.

However, I have not heard of that sams/nickels position before. The team has not had a coach for that in the recent past.

Comment

I have learned that Hughes was offered the DC job at the same school by the same head coach several years ago.

Comment

Lynn took an miaa team in a bad location from winless to competing near the top of conference.

It's bizarre that people think,based on the first season, that he can't do the same with a middling team in a much more wide open conference.

He is a system guy, which I'm not crazy about, but there's no doubt Ind my mind that he will have WT in good shape if given 4 years or so.

My question with him is can he go beyond that and make a real contender who has a shot against anyone in the playoffs. He hasn't done that yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                Lynn took an miaa team in a bad location from winless to competing near the top of conference.

It's bizarre that people think,based on the first season, that he can't do the same with a middling team in a much more wide open conference.

He is a system guy, which I'm not crazy about, but there's no doubt Ind my mind that he will have WT in good shape if given 4 years or so.

My question with him is can he go beyond that and make a real contender who has a shot against anyone in the playoffs. He hasn't done that yet.

The "people" of which you refer have an ax to grind with the WT AD. Classic confirmation bias. Never mind that WT has won an embarrassingly large portion of conference titles in virtually every other sport over the last 10 years. I call them the U. of Texas of D2. Playing with twice the budget and thrice the facilities of most D2s. A plethora of sugar angels pumping this or that sport with extra cash. Wish I lived close to take in some of their sports.

Comment

Yes it can be done and successful especially since Harding won the national championship and took down some very good teams along the way.

The question is if he can recruit/transfer portal the guys he needs to be successful to contend for the LSC championship, playoffs, regionals, etc.

2025 its going to be awfully difficult to advance very far with the MIAA and GAC joining the party.

Anything less than a conference championship you are probably playing Mines, Harding, Pitt State in any order on the road just to get to the final 4 now.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Yes it can be done and successful especially since Harding won the national championship and took down some very good teams along the way.
                    What do you think Harding's run proves?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

What do you think Harding's run proves?
                      My opinion is it can be done with the right coach and personnel.

I also see Eastern New Mexico run that same offense for many years and get nowhere.

I would be interested to know how much Harding used the transfer portal and how much was a long process to build from the ground up.

Comment

Yeah that's my question too.

My observations:
                        Pitt stayed run heavy with the V and power I forever. For them, they stayed steady with winning records, etc... The only years they went deep, though, came when they would luck into 1 to 2 offensive superstars at the same time (Race, Philpot, Moore, Brown, etc...) or put together a beast defense. Preferably both at the same time.

Harding lives and dies on D. Their 2 deep po runs have come when they had elite defenses by playoff time.

Their O is what it is year after year. They recruit well on both sides, but I think the O side is easier to recruit than the D side for them because they are recruiting different players. They want that QB who would be a TE, RB, or safety somewhere else. They want those lighter oline guys who can move, etc...

I don't know how creative WT is with schollies, but Harding and most arkie schools have a lot of non athletic ways to get scholly money to kids. Miaa teams have lots of out of state areas that are counted as in state for equivalency purposes, etc... I'm not sure if LSC schools are using any of those same tricks?

Comment

Yeah that's my question too.

My observations:
                          Pitt stayed run heavy with the V and power I forever. For them, they stayed steady with winning records, etc... The only years they went deep, though, came when they would luck into 1 to 2 offensive superstars at the same time (Race, Philpot, Moore, Brown, etc...) or put together a beast defense. Preferably both at the same time.

Harding lives and dies on D. Their 2 deep po runs have come when they had elite defenses by playoff time.

Their O is what it is year after year. They recruit well on both sides, but I think the O side is easier to recruit than the D side for them because they are recruiting different players. They want that QB who would be a TE, RB, or safety somewhere else. They want those lighter oline guys who can move, etc...

I don't know how creative WT is with schollies, but Harding and most arkie schools have a lot of non athletic ways to get scholly money to kids. Miaa teams have lots of out of state areas that are counted as in state for equivalency purposes, etc... I'm not sure if LSC schools are using any of those same tricks?
                          The whole "out of state tuition" deal is zero-sum. It's a surcharge that universities collect when they can get it. In the case of athletic scholarships, the school is paying itself. So it could be $1 a year or a $ million a year, and it's a wash either way. If Harding has an empty dorm room, they can free ride an athlete and it costs them basically nothing. It's not $40K a year or whatever. The real estate, professor, and water fountains have already been paid for. The only true added cost is food and utilities.

State universities do have to "pay" themselves, but it's still a wash. If an athletic program says they are "spending" $1 million a year on athletic scholarships, that might technically be true, but functionally, it is but a small fraction of that. The actual money being spent in athletics is staff and travel.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseLodge View Post

The whole "out of state tuition" deal is zero-sum. It's a surcharge that universities collect when they can get it. In the case of athletic scholarships, the school is paying itself. So it could be $1 a year or a $ million a year, and it's a wash either way. If Harding has an empty dorm room, they can free ride an athlete and it costs them basically nothing. It's not $40K a year or whatever. The real estate, professor, and water fountains have already been paid for. The only true added cost is food and utilities.

State universities do have to "pay" themselves, but it's still a wash. If an athletic program says they are "spending" $1 million a year on athletic scholarships, that might technically be true, but functionally, it is but a small fraction of that. The actual money being spent in athletics is staff and travel.
                            It's not a wash at all.

Everyone gets 36 full equivalencies. If you are using up your out of state money at full price, you are giving out the same amount of money to less people.

For the sake of simplicity, let's say every school's out of state is 10 grand a pop, while in state is 5 grand. That means everyone has a war chest of 360k to use

If you only give out full rides, (I know that's never how it's done in d2, but for ease of example, we'll use this.)

Let's say each school has 18 out of state kids.
                            - School A pays full out of state fees for theirs. That allows them to have 54 scholly players (18x10k plus 36x 5k)

-School B uses the in state rate and has.72 kids on full schollies. (72x 5k)
                            Last edited by Predatory Primates; 02-20-2024, 06:39 PM.

Comment

It's not a wash at all.

Everyone gets 36 full equivalencies. If you are using up your out of state money at full price, you are giving out the same amount of money to less people.

For the sake of simplicity, let's say every school's out of state is 10 grand a pop, while in state is 5 grand. That means everyone has a war chest of 360k to use

If you only give out full rides, (I know that's never how it's done in d2, but for ease of example, we'll use this.)

Let's say each school has 18 out of state kids.
                              - School A pays full out of state fees for theirs. That allows them to have 54 scholly players (18x10k plus 36x 5k)

-School B uses the in state rate and has.72 kids on full schollies. (72x 5k)

You're missing the point. The school is paying itself. It could be a nickel per athlete or a $ million. It's just moving numbers around on a ledger - no funds are actually changing hands; the university still has the cash.

Let's say that you are tired of mowing your grass for free, so you hire yourself for $20 per mowing. You go to the ATM, withdraw the $20, and put it in your pocket. After you are finished mowing, you then go back to the bank and deposit it in your special lawn mowing account. No money actually changed hands. If you decide to pay yourself a special "out of state" rate of $40, you go to the bank and withdraw $40 instead of $20. But regardless of the total amount, no money ever actually was spent. You paid yourself.

Athletic scholarships, whether they be full, half, a quarter, or $100 per year, are the university paying itself.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseLodge View Post

You're missing the point. The school is paying itself. It could be a nickel per athlete or a $ million. It's just moving numbers around on a ledger - no funds are actually changing hands; the university still has the cash.

Let's say that you are tired of mowing your grass for free, so you hire yourself for $20 per mowing. You go to the ATM, withdraw the $20, and put it in your pocket. After you are finished mowing, you then go back to the bank and deposit it in your special lawn mowing account. No money actually changed hands.
                                I get what you are saying. It's all funny money in the real world.

That said, a school can only use 36 equivalencies at the highest dollar amount, so from a competitive standpoint, it makes a huge difference how you report and classify it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X