Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT. The Costliest Mistake in Texas College Football History

Texas A&M fires football coach Jimbo Fisher, triggering record $77 million buyout

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...t/71558001007/

But we got Jimbo was the line six years ago…..

The Aggies didn’t acknowledge or care Florida State didn’t try to keep him. That should’ve been a clue.

So who do the Aggies try to being in. Timing is absolutely horrible too with Texas making strides and the jump to the SEC. Rumors have Kliff Kingsbery or KK being considered for which I know Techster 88 and BuffaloIslander Alum would approve

I think Mike Elko is a shoe in. As a DC for the Aggies, he did a great job. He is 15-8 at Duke.

But I'd also look at Glenn Schumann from GA. Only problem is he does not have HC experience. However, he did player HS ball up in Collin County for McKinney Boyd and is a top recruiter and defensive genius.

It will be interesting to see who they wind up with.

Comment

I'm reading in a few places that a large part of that buyout stemmed from LSU possibly poaching him in 2020 or 21, why would you protect a coach that was mediocre sans that one season when they finished 5th? Doesn't matter, it's asinine a coach can get that kind of money. It's amazing the amount of pressure coaches (and players) have at that level, but c'mon now. I only pay attention to FBS football when Washington or Wazzu are relevant. At 10-0 and #5, UW is relevant.

Comment

Only in College Station......

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
          I think Mike Elko is a shoe in. As a DC for the Aggies, he did a great job. He is 15-8 at Duke.

But I'd also look at Glenn Schumann from GA. Only problem is he does not have HC experience. However, he did player HS ball up in Collin County for McKinney Boyd and is a top recruiter and defensive genius.

It will be interesting to see who they wind up with.
          That Elko is winning at Duke tells you something right there. Think that would be a good hire.

Going to have to email my old friend in Dallas who’s an Aggie alum about what might be going on down there.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
            Texas A&M fires football coach Jimbo Fisher, triggering record $77 million buyout

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...t/71558001007/

But we got Jimbo was the line six years ago…..

The Aggies didn’t acknowledge or care Florida State didn’t try to keep him. That should’ve been a clue.

So who do the Aggies try to being in. Timing is absolutely horrible too with Texas making strides and the jump to the SEC. Rumors have Kliff Kingsbery or KK being considered for which I know Techster 88 and BuffaloIslander Alum would approve
            Imagine if a McBroom football coach ever had a record as great as Jimbo’s at the mothership (45-25). The AD’s supporters would really love him then. 🤢

Comment

Originally posted by Goods View Post
              I'm reading in a few places that a large part of that buyout stemmed from LSU possibly poaching him in 2020 or 21, why would you protect a coach that was mediocre sans that one season when they finished 5th? Doesn't matter, it's asinine a coach can get that kind of money. It's amazing the amount of pressure coaches (and players) have at that level, but c'mon now. I only pay attention to FBS football when Washington or Wazzu are relevant. At 10-0 and #5, UW is relevant.
              That kind of pressure is on ALL coaches AND players at all levels in Texas! It's crazy.

Comment

That kind of pressure is on ALL coaches AND players at all levels in Texas! It's crazy.
                I understand there is pressure to win and your reputation, but as I was saying to my son yesterday when we heard about Jimbo getting the boot:

"How much pressure are they really under? If Jimbo wins he gets $90 million guaranteed over the next 6 years, if he doest win (or win enough) he gets $76 million to do absolutely nothing."

Sure, Jimbo's pride is hurt, but I think $76 million will go a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG way to soothe his pride; I know it would mine!. I figure that he will get over this.

aTm (literally an ATM in this case for Jimbo) is playing a loser's game by guaranteeing buyouts. Where is the incentive for a coach to do anything except the bare minimum to keep you from getting fired for cause? As long as you keep your nose clean you get paid extremely well; doesn't matter whether you win or lose!

Comment

Originally posted by texcap View Post

I understand there is pressure to win and your reputation, but as I was saying to my son yesterday when we heard about Jimbo getting the boot:

"How much pressure are they really under? If Jimbo wins he gets $90 million guaranteed over the next 6 years, if he doest win (or win enough) he gets $76 million to do absolutely nothing."

Sure, Jimbo's pride is hurt, but I think $76 million will go a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG way to soothe his pride; I know it would mine!. I figure that he will get over this.

aTm (literally an ATM in this case for Jimbo) is playing a loser's game by guaranteeing buyouts. Where is the incentive for a coach to do anything except the bare minimum to keep you from getting fired for cause? As long as you keep your nose clean you get paid extremely well; doesn't matter whether you win or lose!
                  His situation was STUPID!!! A&M was careless and stupid. But, they are Aggies. Just sayin' 😉

Also...the SEC is a different beast!!

Give me $7 million guaranteed and I will delivery the same results!!! They could have saved $69 million hiring me! 🤣

In general, the pressure & expectation on all coaches....even Pop Warner is ridiculous!

In big HS football towns/cities.....let a coach lose. He is GONE. Texas is one of the worst states for football coaches(at all levels). Followed by GA & Alabama.

Comment

I might be wrong,but I think they owe him around $19 Million 60 days after termination. Then at 120 days he starts getting $7.2 Million annually for 8 years. Again, I might be wrong, but believe that is how his contract was structured.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

Imagine if a McBroom football coach ever had a record as great as Jimbo’s at the mothership (45-25). The AD’s supporters would really love him then. 🤢
                      Never pass the opportunity to hijack a thread and grind your axe. Well done.

Comment

I might be wrong,but I think they owe him around $19 Million 60 days after termination. Then at 120 days he starts getting $7.2 Million annually for 8 years. Again, I might be wrong, but believe that is how his contract was structured.
                        Ive also heard that the $76 million for Jimbo is not the end for aTm. I read on the Athletic they ex[pect the total payout for Jimbo and the rest of his staff to be a good bit over $100 million, in the $125 million area.

Comment

How is this relevant to the the LSC?

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
                            How is this relevant to the the LSC?
                            Would you rather have OT: WTAM Bowling team?

Comment

Ive also heard that the $76 million for Jimbo is not the end for aTm. I read on the Athletic they ex[pect the total payout for Jimbo and the rest of his staff to be a good bit over $100 million, in the $125 million area.
                              Did they guarantee ACs????? That's strange.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X