Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

I wasn't impressed with Brown at QB at all. I thought Eget looked buffoonish in his first game, but had some good numbers in his second. Gibson did show some good skills, but not consistently.

I'm curious about what positive changes you noticed. It seemed like more of the Hughes regime to me.

The head coach has to teach players how to win. Some can do it the first year, but ours didn't.
    The overall atmosphere of the program was lighter/more upbeat at practices and scrimmages I went to. Family atmosphere where as Hughes just seemed like a dick most of the time.

They recruited more size along the lines, most noticably the defensive line. Probably one of my biggest complaints of Hughes recruiting was the short undersized DL.

This recruiting cycle will tell us a lot in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
      Either that or there is a lot of missing going on. UTPB is cleaning house in the portal again. They will reload
      I am not sure how UTPB is doing what there doing. By my count they have signed 17 mid year transfers. Everyone else in the league has signed like 5 mid-year guys tops. Transfers of the caliber they are signing are not cheap. You can't Nickle and dime them like you can high school kids. They haven't very many kids hit the portal, There is no way they went into they season under there allotted scholarship budget.

So my question is where are they getting there money?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post

I am not sure how UTPB is doing what there doing. By my count they have signed 17 mid year transfers. Everyone else in the league has signed like 5 mid-year guys tops. Transfers of the caliber they are signing are not cheap. You can't Nickle and dime them like you can high school kids. They haven't very many kids hit the portal, There is no way they went into they season under there allotted scholarship budget.

Well they are in Odessa Permian country. I am sure there are some peeps still around with ideas on how to work around the system.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockofwesties View Post

The team never recovered from the UTPB meltdown. They lost a game they should have won and the team lost a lot of fight.
          Exactly this 1000%!!!

Each teams went opposite directions after that game.

Not saying WT would have won the LSC at all but winning that game probably would have led to possibly a 7-3 type record and UTPB probably doesnt win the LSC and may not have the confidence to pull out road games at ASU.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post

Somebody is ponying up NIL money. My best guess. $10,000 to 17 kids is only tip money if ya' got plenty of 7 figure $$$. Somebody with bucks is probably on board. Add in Pell money and some tuition/books/fees waivers by a willing administration (completely unlike the treatment WT's AD and sports programs are having to deal with) and you have a good recipe for getting transfers.

Seriously, if I had 20M or 30M cash investments, I could easily be earning $2M+ a year off of it. Tax deductible NIL business expense of $200,000 would be a cinch. Add in income from your ongoing business and several hundred thousand to NIL is no BFD.

I suspect UTPB has found an Angel.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Exactly this 1000%!!!

Each teams went opposite directions after that game.

Not saying WT would have won the LSC at all but winning that game probably would have led to possibly a 7-3 type record and UTPB probably doesnt win the LSC and may not have the confidence to pull out road games at ASU.
              SMDH

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Somebody is ponying up NIL money. My best guess. $10,000 to 17 kids is only tip money if ya' got plenty of 7 figure $$$. Somebody with bucks is probably on board. Add in Pell money and some tuition/books/fees waivers by a willing administration (completely unlike the treatment WT's AD and sports programs are having to deal with) and you have a good recipe for getting transfers.

Seriously, if I had 20M or 30M cash investments, I could easily be earning $2M+ a year off of it. Tax deductible NIL business expense of $200,000 would be a cinch. Add in income from your ongoing business and several hundred thousand to NIL is no BFD.

I suspect UTPB has found an Angel.
                Agree 100%. Not mentioning names, but I know a player getting next to nothing in scholly $, but a boat load in NIL. Much more than a full scholly.

Plus, recruiting as we knew if pre-pandemic is antiquated. These new, young, upcoming coaches are killing it in a new world of recruiting. New, modern tactics are landing top talent. It's a new recruiting game.....catch up or get left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Agree 100%. Not mentioning names, but I know a player getting next to nothing in scholly $, but a boat load in NIL. Much more than a full scholly.

Plus, recruiting as we knew if pre-pandemic is antiquated. These new, young, upcoming coaches are killing it in a new world of recruiting. New, modern tactics are landing top talent. It's a new recruiting game.....catch up or get left behind.
                  I retract this statement. I gained this information from a player and his parent whom I TRUSTED. I was advised by someone absolutely in the know that NO player at UTPB is getting anything close to large NILs. SMDH.

I am now bewildered as to why this parent felt the need to lie to me. I have known them for years. I am also curious as to why this top recruit would choose UTPB over 15 other offers including a FCS offer. 🤔

Nothing is making sense to me.
                  Last edited by ASUPops; 01-11-2024, 10:20 PM.

Comment

I retract this statement. I gained this information from a player and his parent whom I TRUSTED. I was advised by someone absolutely in the know that NO player at UTPB is getting anything close to large NILs. SMDH.

I am now bewildered as to why this parent felt the need to lie to me. I have known them for years. I am also curious as to why this top recruit would choose UTPB over 15 other offers including a FCS offer. 🤔

Nothing is making sense to me.
                    Could be a difference in definition on what the school and the player/parent consider a large NIL.

Comment

Could be a difference in definition on what the school and the player/parent consider a large NIL.
                      Maybe. Somethings not fitting. This player was highly, HIGHLY sought after. UTPB hit a home-run getting him. Several other LSC teams offered....including WT, Angelo, and TAMUK. He had at least one from FCS that I know of....and about 10+ more offers.

Something just doesn't seem right. 🤔

Comment

Maybe. Somethings not fitting. This player was highly, HIGHLY sought after. UTPB hit a home-run getting him. Several other LSC teams offered....including WT, Angelo, and TAMUK. He had at least one from FCS that I know of....and about 10+ more offers.

Something just doesn't seem right. 🤔
                        Well those Odessa Permian and SMU teams from the 80s had some sort of a playbook for that. ;)

Comment

Well those Odessa Permian and SMU teams from the 80s had some sort of a playbook for that. ;)
                          🤷🏻‍♂️

Comment

Whatever it is, UTPB is landing lunkers with just about every cast.

With the talent pouring in there, they should be dominating DII next season.

Comment

Those rumors about Odessa Permian in the 80’s is not true. If Permian was recruiting in their glory years which were actually the 70, 80, and early 90s then why were there so very few Permian players that played D1? Permian won with brutal hard work and pressure from a town that demanded they win. Permian didn’t recruit players.

when they got in trouble from the UIL in 1990 it was for starting 2 a day practices early. Not for recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockofwesties View Post

Those rumors about Odessa Permian in the 80’s is not true. If Permian was recruiting in their glory years which were actually the 70, 80, and early 90s then why were there so very few Permian players that played D1? Permian won with brutal hard work and pressure from a town that demanded they win. Permian didn’t recruit players.

when they got in trouble from the UIL in 1990 it was for starting 2 a day practices early. Not for recruiting.
                                They may not directly recruited the player but part of the process back then *wink wink* was recruiting the parents offering them jobs around the area (oil jobs before the 80s bust, banks, etc.).

I played against Permian in the late 80s/early 90s and had friendships with Permian alum over the years that had pretty much confirmed what was known.

Lloyd Hill was definitely a D1 talent during that time and torched us in the playoffs.

That being said they were hardly the only school doing it.

Up in the Panhandle, Phillips High school was known to do the same thing with the oil refineries and had some powerhouse teams before going belly up.

Also doesnt take much back then to move to a different (newer) house *wink wink* into the desired district.

I will meet you in the middle.

They didnt recruit on a wide scale but its ridiculous to state they never recruited.

Breaking the practice rules in 1990 is proof enough that they were far from clean.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X