Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Diverse is CWU?

I was reading the article below, and was quite frankly dumbfounded. Being in the PNW, I guess I assumed Washington was very liberal, progressive, and very much diversified in beliefs.

To read about the racism towards people of color was upsetting. The things the student was saying would be something one would expect here in Texas, but I've never seen or experienced that here.

Texas is so much more diversified than Washington and maybe we are just more accepting because of it. I mean Texas is only 39% white, with the majority being Hispanic at 40%. Our black population is 12.8%. Whereas Washington is 70% white, and only has 13% Hispanic and 5% Black population. So, it appears racism is problematic in Washington.

What are the thoughts of the CWU posters on here? Are any of you Black or Hispanic?

https://cwuobserver.com/26306/news/how-diverse-is-cwu/
    Last edited by ASUPops; 03-11-2024, 12:56 AM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	818942.

Comment

I don't know how diverse CWU is. I've learned over the years that despite 5-second Google searches available, people go on assumptions. Example: What is the whitest city in America? It's Portland, Oregon. Seattle isn't far behind.

How far is CWU from Seattle? That's 90 miles over a huge mountain pass, you know, those big hills that aren't found in most of the country. That mountain pass is sometimes closed in the winter.

Pullman, home to WSU, is 5 to 6 hours from Seattle. Eugene, home to the University of Oregon, is 2 hours from Portland; Oregon State is 90 minutes from Portland and 10 miles off the freeway. WOU, SOU, EOU, are not super easy to get to; neither is WWU, EWU, and certainly CWU. I was working on the East Coast one summer. At the time I lived in Boise and to get up to my home in Moscow I have to drive 6 hours minimum on a two-lane highway over two mountain passes, zero freeway, and no towns over 3,000 on the way up. East coast people didn't believe me.

It's super spread out in the Pacific Northwest, people just don't understand that and to understand it they'd have to do a 5-second Google search or look at this ancient thing called a map.

Comment

Statistically CWU enrollment is 53% black, Kittatas County is 90% white. It is more diverse than Ellensburg or Kittitas County. Not super impressive but better than the UW is doing in Seattle, with all of its money, and international students. If you want to go to a state with more a population that is more than 7%, you do need to move out of Washington, but from my experience CWU will be more than happy to keep you.

Comment

I am a white guy who went to Central before Jon Kitna's time. Went over with a high school teammate. We hung out together with our CC teammates and a few guys from the same general areas around Seattle and a lot of kids from small mostly rural towns. From what I experienced and what I see on team rosters is a lot of (white) small towns. As
          demographics change many of these towns are Hispanic (mostly dry side).
          M y second year at Central my roommate was Jewish (met him first year at Muzzall roommates at Kamola). Girl friend was Tlingit. Lisa's roommate Italian. Rounding out our road trip regulars was Sharon, the Korean woman across the sundeck. Kamola Hall was so cool. Easy friends to make and keep, never got a weird look, or heard an offensive statement.

Comment

Originally posted by KamolaCat View Post
            Statistically CWU enrollment is 53% black, Kittatas County is 90% white. It is more diverse than Ellensburg or Kittitas County. Not super impressive but better than the UW is doing in Seattle, with all of its money, and international students. If you want to go to a state with more a population that is more than 7%, you do need to move out of Washington, but from my experience CWU will be more than happy to keep you.
            53% black?! I'd be curious to see where you got your statistics.

Diversity Statistics
            https://www.cwu.edu/about/diversity/...statistics.php

Racial Demographics & Diversity
            https://www.collegesimply.com/colleg...sity/students/

CWU Demographics & Diversity Report
            https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...ife/diversity/

DATAUSA CENTRAL WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY
            https://datausa.io/profile/university/central-washington-university
            RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
            Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Hell no I screwed up 5.3%. The state is about 5.7%. I am sorry. This was my story when I was attending.

Comment

I graduated CWU in 2015. It was plenty diverse. As mentioned before, certainly more diverse than the town. Now heep heading east past Spokane then reassess diversity at all those colleges

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
                  I graduated CWU in 2015. It was plenty diverse. As mentioned before, certainly more diverse than the town. Now heep heading east past Spokane then reassess diversity at all those colleges
                  CalifOKRA posted actually numbers that show only 4% Black and 14% Hispanic. That is not "plenty diverse".

But for white people, they notice minorities moreso than fellow whites, so I can understand the misperception.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

CalifOKRA posted actually numbers that show only 4% Black and 14% Hispanic. That is not "plenty diverse".

But for white people, they notice minorities moreso than fellow whites, so I can understand the misperception.
                    Speak for yourself

Comment

If you want to see how diverse CWU is, go check it out for yourself. Go walk around campus. Go to the student union building.

I myself am part Hispanic. I definitely knew quite a bit of Hispanic people when I was there at Central. I played intramural soccer with several. That's definitely going to be the biggest minority there being on the east side of the mountains in closer proximity to a lot of towns with high Hispanic populations.

If there was one population there was less of I would say probably Asian only because they all at UW. But there was a pretty good international program they had with students coming from Japan. I had some of them in my freshman dorm. They were fun to hang out with and meet!

But please don't criticize my college's diversity unless you actually go see it for yourself and can personally say it's not diverse enough.

Comment

Originally posted by KamolaCat View Post

Speak for yourself
                        So when you walk into a store, you notice the 70% of the white folks you pass? Or do you notice the 4% Black folks you pass?

I already know the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
                          If you want to see how diverse CWU is, go check it out for yourself. Go walk around campus. Go to the student union building.

I myself am part Hispanic. I definitely knew quite a bit of Hispanic people when I was there at Central. I played intramural soccer with several. That's definitely going to be the biggest minority there being on the east side of the mountains in closer proximity to a lot of towns with high Hispanic populations.

If there was one population there was less of I would say probably Asian only because they all at UW. But there was a pretty good international program they had with students coming from Japan. I had some of them in my freshman dorm. They were fun to hang out with and meet!

But please don't criticize my college's diversity unless you actually go see it for yourself and can personally say it's not diverse enough.
                          DID YOU SEE THE ACTUAL NUMBERS CalifOKRA POSTED??????

14% HISPANIC
                          4% BLACK
                          4% ASIAN

https://www.collegesimply.com/colleg...sity/students/

You can "say" what you want, but the statistics don't lie. Those are the FACTS.

SHOW ME DIFFERENT.

And reread the very 1st post and read the story provided. THAT IS THE TOPIC.

Not how diverse the school is, but rather the apparant racism. THAT is what I was asking about.
                          Last edited by ASUPops; 03-13-2024, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

So when you walk into a store, you notice the 70% of the white folks you pass? Or do you notice the 4% Black folks you pass?

I already know the answer.
                            I notice the items I go into the store for.

But sounds like you make your shopping trips into a racial thing, apparently.

Comment

This works both ways and ALL forms of racism are wrong.

Last year I took a half day off work to go watch a childhood friend of mines son from Amarillo play a college tennis match at Prairie View A&M university.

We were definitely not welcomed with open arms there and gossiped/stared at every time we cheered when he won a point.

Even the subway there we were treated rudely and basically had our to go bag tossed at us at the checkout.

My daughter kept begging me to take her out of school that day to take her with me to watch the match and glad I didn't.

I am not going to make an assumption on the school and the town as a whole based on those experiences.

When the return match was held in Corpus the next month the team and fans were welcomed with open arms and friendly to talk too.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X