Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The article linked here says UW is 14% undocumented, which it has a link to support. That link says 14% "Non-Resident Alien". Those are two very different things, right? You can have documentation and still be non-resident. Also having 5% of your university be non-hispanic undocumented (and that only if every hispanic student is undocumented, it's only 9% hispanic) seems pretty unlikely.

UW is 9% Hispanic and 3% black, so if you measure by better representation for all groups and not just 'how few whites do you have', CWU's 14% Hispanic and 4% black does look better.

I imagine there is anecdotal evidence of racism on almost every campus in America. I'd guess most campuses have a cohort of people who think their campus doesn't do enough about racism. The fact somebody wrote an article about it doesn't exactly make Central a problem. Here's one from Angelo State a few years ago:

https://sanangelolive.com/news/crime...brawl-some-say

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
      If you want to see how diverse CWU is, go check it out for yourself. Go walk around campus. Go to the student union building.

I myself am part Hispanic. I definitely knew quite a bit of Hispanic people when I was there at Central. I played intramural soccer with several. That's definitely going to be the biggest minority there being on the east side of the mountains in closer proximity to a lot of towns with high Hispanic populations.

If there was one population there was less of I would say probably Asian only because they all at UW. But there was a pretty good international program they had with students coming from Japan. I had some of them in my freshman dorm. They were fun to hang out with and meet!

But please don't criticize my college's diversity unless you actually go see it for yourself and can personally say it's not diverse enough.
      From walking around your college, what are the diversity stats you would report? Walking around CWU isn't going to change the reported numbers.

I don't understand why some people are getting upset or defensive. Your college isn't as diverse as others. Some parts of the country aren't as diverse as others. Why get upset over statistics?

Delta State is pretty diverse between Black and White. Less diverse when it comes to Hispanic and other groups, which makes sense for that part of the country. My roommate was Pacific Islander. My senior year, I was the only white guy starting on defense, in the secondary at that.

When I was getting recruited, I took a visit to Colorado Mesa, at the time Mesa State. When I was there, I don't remember meeting any minorities. Which makes sense for that part of the country.
      ​
      ​The junior college I went to, Los Angeles Harbor College, is very diverse. Asian, Hispanic, Black, Pacific Islander, and White. White is actually one of the statistical minorities. This makes sense; Los Angeles, especially the Harbor area, is very diverse. On the other hand, the high school I went to, also located in Los Angeles, was predominantly white.

I'm grateful for my time at a predominantly white high school, I'm grateful for my time at a very diverse junior college, and I'm grateful for my time at Delta State. I was able to learn so much about races, cultures, backgrounds, and socioeconomic statuses. Leaving Southern California for Delta State was a complete culture shock for me, but I'm glad for the experience.
      Last edited by CalifOKRA; 03-13-2024, 07:19 PM.
      RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
      Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post
        Leaving Southern California for Delta State was a complete culture shock for me, but I'm glad for the experience.
        Great post overall. And the best way to learn about others is to be around others.

This is the part that stands out also… And many people, I think, overlook. Diversity doesn’t just mean looking different. X color people from Los Angeles are different from X color people in MS (as you clearly stated and experienced). Religious beliefs play a factor as well. On and on. Certainly not to downplay racial diversity at all.

EDIT: Changed LA to Los Angeles so it wouldn’t be confused with Louisiana. Not sure how different people are in Louisiana and Mississippi. Ha.
        Last edited by Purple Mav Man; 03-13-2024, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

From walking around your college, what are the diversity stats you would report? Walking around CWU isn't going to change the reported numbers.

I don't understand why some people are getting upset or defensive. Your college isn't as diverse as others. Some parts of the country aren't as diverse as others. Why get upset over statistics?

Delta State is pretty diverse between Black and White. Less diverse when it comes to Hispanic and other groups, which makes sense for that part of the country. My roommate was Pacific Islander. My senior year, I was the only white guy starting on defense, in the secondary at that.

When I was getting recruited, I took a visit to Colorado Mesa, at the time Mesa State. When I was there, I don't remember meeting any minorities. Which makes sense for that part of the country.
          ​
          ​The junior college I went to, Los Angeles Harbor College, is very diverse. Asian, Hispanic, Black, Pacific Islander, and White. White is actually one of the statistical minorities. This makes sense; LA, especially the Harbor area, is very diverse. On the other hand, the high school I went to, also located in LA, was predominantly white.

I'm grateful for my time at a predominantly white high school, I'm grateful for my time at a very diverse junior college, and I'm grateful for my time at Delta State. I was able to learn so much about races, cultures, backgrounds, and socioeconomic statuses. Leaving Southern California for Delta State was a complete culture shock for me, but I'm glad for the experience.
          I am assuming because racism was brought into it.

If it were just a post that asked about statistics without the angle then I think this might have went a different way.

Comment

Yakima County, just south of CWU is 50% hispanic. There's diversity around.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

I notice the items I go into the store for.

But sounds like you make your shopping trips into a racial thing, apparently.
              Really? I CALL BULLSH!T!!!!

Have you ever been followed around a store and "watched" because of your skin color? Have you been profiled as a shoplifter because of your ethnicity?

Another entitled White man.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum;n819333[B
                ]This works both ways[/B] and ALL forms of racism are wrong.

Last year I took a half day off work to go watch a childhood friend of mines son from Amarillo play a college tennis match at Prairie View A&M university.

We were definitely not welcomed with open arms there and gossiped/stared at every time we cheered when he won a point.

Even the subway there we were treated rudely and basically had our to go bag tossed at us at the checkout.

My daughter kept begging me to take her out of school that day to take her with me to watch the match and glad I didn't.

I am not going to make an assumption on the school and the town as a whole based on those experiences.

When the return match was held in Corpus the next month the team and fans were welcomed with open arms and friendly to talk too.

I call BULLSH!T!!!!!!! 1,000 TIMES OVER!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by D2Rover View Post
                  The article linked here says UW is 14% undocumented, which it has a link to support. That link says 14% "Non-Resident Alien". Those are two very different things, right? You can have documentation and still be non-resident. Also having 5% of your university be non-hispanic undocumented (and that only if every hispanic student is undocumented, it's only 9% hispanic) seems pretty unlikely.

UW is 9% Hispanic and 3% black, so if you measure by better representation for all groups and not just 'how few whites do you have', CWU's 14% Hispanic and 4% black does look better.

I imagine there is anecdotal evidence of racism on almost every campus in America. I'd guess most campuses have a cohort of people who think their campus doesn't do enough about racism. The fact somebody wrote an article about it doesn't exactly make Central a problem. Here's one from Angelo State a few years ago:

https://sanangelolive.com/news/crime...brawl-some-say
                  Agreed. My point was Washington and PNW are usually known to be the epic center for hippie culture and all accepting, diversified. I STATED that what's happening at CWU is something one would expect in Texas, did I not?????

In another thread I spoke of getting stopped EVERY time passing through a small town on the way to Angelo.....for 6 years!

So, U am sorry CWU posters (and other entitled peopke) are butthurt, I was simply asking their thoughts on the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by califokra View Post

from walking around your college, what are the diversity stats you would report? Walking around cwu isn't going to change the reported numbers.

Delta state is pretty diverse between black and white. Less diverse when it comes to hispanic and other groups, which makes sense for that part of the country. My roommate was pacific islander. My senior year, i was the only white guy starting on defense, in the secondary at that.

When i was getting recruited, i took a visit to colorado mesa, at the time mesa state. When i was there, i don't remember meeting any minorities. Which makes sense for that part of the country.
                    ​
                    ​the junior college i went to, los angeles harbor college, is very diverse. Asian, hispanic, black, pacific islander, and white. White is actually one of the statistical minorities. This makes sense; los angeles, especially the harbor area, is very diverse. On the other hand, the high school i went to, also located in los angeles, was predominantly white.

I'm grateful for my time at a predominantly white high school, i'm grateful for my time at a very diverse junior college, and i'm grateful for my time at delta state. I was able to learn so much about races, cultures, backgrounds, and socioeconomic statuses. Leaving southern california for delta state was a complete culture shock for me, but i'm glad for the experience.
                    great post!!!!! πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Great post overall. And the best way to learn about others is to be around others.

This is the part that stands out also… And many people, I think, overlook. Diversity doesn’t just mean looking different. X color people from Los Angeles are different from X color people in MS (as you clearly stated and experienced). Religious beliefs play a factor as well. On and on. Certainly not to downplay racial diversity at all.

EDIT: Changed LA to Los Angeles so it wouldn’t be confused with Louisiana. Not sure how different people are in Louisiana and Mississippi. Ha.
                      VERY different

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I am assuming because racism was brought into it.

If it were just a post that asked about statistics without the angle then I think this might have went a different way.
                        Brought into it???? It was ABOUT racism. I started the thread. πŸ™„

Did you read the original article I posted???

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post
                          Yakima County, just south of CWU is 50% hispanic. There's diversity around.
                          THANK you for answering without getting butthurt...hahaha.

I guess rhe GUILTY showed their azz. Haha.

I appreciate you, as always.

Comment

And to the ignorant people who mentioned "Angelo State" as a dig or whatever.....I NEVER attended Angelo. ONE of my kids did but graduated 10 years ago. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

I call BULLSH!T!!!!!!! 1,000 TIMES OVER!!!!
                              Of course you would. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Really? I CALL BULLSH!T!!!!

Have you ever been followed around a store and "watched" because of your skin color? Have you been profiled as a shoplifter because of your ethnicity?

Another entitled White man.
                                Your comment was if he noticed other races in the store.

Heck when I lived in Corpus I noticed when there were more white people in the store than Hispanic.

My middle school, high school, and Corpus time was probably 60% white at most.

I was taught at a very young age that everyone is equal.

That being said I know that you have gone through some unfair circumstances that no other human being should go through.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X