Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Season

We are now only 74 days from kickoff! Seems far too long to wait so I thought I'd see what everyone's most excited for and most nervous about with their squad?

Re: 2018 Season

Originally posted by DoubleNickels View Post
    We are now only 74 days from kickoff! Seems far too long to wait so I thought I'd see what everyone's most excited for and most nervous about with their squad?
    Excited- Kicking and running games should be good. Several really good receivers if we throw to them enough!

Worried about- Injuries. Offensive and defensive line.

Comment

Always excited for seeing the old pigskin flung around. Augustana needs good QB play this season, because of injuries a true freshman was thrust into action in 2017. He a confident young man and will play well this season.

Comment

I feel like the excitement for Southwest starts and finishes at QB and RB. Way too many question marks beyond that.

At least for me, I'm intrigued by all of the coaching changes and how different things will be. Still, I expect it to be a pretty standard SMSU season.

Comment

Hate to be so cliche but I'll echo my thoughts from the USF thread.... QB play is big unknown coming into this season. Who's gonna be the guy to step up. Similarly, for our skill guys, you lose a monster in Max Mickey and the WRs have no idea who's getting them the ball. I like our depth on the o-line and defense. Will be interesting to see who steps up on the defense as the big playmaker.

Getting into the dolldrums of the offseason here, might have to start throwing out order of finish predictions here.
          4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
          2016 NSIC Champions
          🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

The Mavs offense should be potent. RB, WR, TE and QB should all be strengths. The OL should be solid as well as they return a ton of experience.

The defense will be the biggest question mark. The Mavs will absolutely score points this year, and a lot of them. But will they be able to get stops like in the previous seasons?

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
              The Mavs offense should be potent. RB, WR, TE and QB should all be strengths. The OL should be solid as well as they return a ton of experience.

The defense will be the biggest question mark. The Mavs will absolutely score points this year, and a lot of them. But will they be able to get stops like in the previous seasons?
              Right. Also, I am assuming the PK is back; who had a very solid performance last year, including a school-record field goal. Defensive line is the area I am most concerned about.

Comment

Excited:
                1. Hoping the program can take another step off last year.
                2. Excited for the defense again. Losing Spencer hurts, but lots of talent left on that side of the ball.

Nervous:
                1. Offensive line: Lost a lot of guys to graduation, but if they can gel and be even 70% of last year's group, this could be a fun season.
                2. Quarterback: Competition is good, but the ;lack of experience is a bit unnerving. Will be an interesting story to follow this fall.

Comment

Lots of coaching changes for the Wolves but nothing has hard to overcome as last year. Hunter looked comfortable by the end of last year. Brought in some fill guys that will undoubtedly make an impact. I think 2019 could be a special kind of year for NSU, but for this year I'm guessing they be predicted 9th and finish between 5th and 10th. So, pretty much the norm. I am not going to be ridiculous and predict something silly, but I think they will pull off one they probably shouldn't, and hopefully can avoid losing one they shouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                    Lots of coaching changes for the Wolves but nothing has hard to overcome as last year. Hunter looked comfortable by the end of last year. Brought in some fill guys that will undoubtedly make an impact. I think 2019 could be a special kind of year for NSU, but for this year I'm guessing they be predicted 9th and finish between 5th and 10th. So, pretty much the norm. I am not going to be ridiculous and predict something silly, but I think they will pull off one they probably shouldn't, and hopefully can avoid losing one they shouldn't.
                    Coach Dosch is a high character guy and recruits the right way. Years ago I used to watch the NSU vs. Augie one sided series at Howard Wood Stadium and reading the program NSU roster covered half the states in this country, with a lot of turnover from season to season. Since I was a NCC guy then I have no idea hew those teams fared in the NSIC. My point is ultimately coaches ended up being judged by their win-loss record. Are the Wolves faithful satisfied with Tom Dosch or not?

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                      Coach Dosch is a high character guy and recruits the right way. Years ago I used to watch the NSU vs. Augie one sided series at Howard Wood Stadium and reading the program NSU roster covered half the states in this country, with a lot of turnover from season to season. Since I was a NCC guy then I have no idea hew those teams fared in the NSIC. My point is ultimately coaches ended up being judged by their win-loss record. Are the Wolves faithful satisfied with Tom Dosch or not?
                      If it was the 90s, during the Heupel years, they were pretty good. Not much since.

I think everyone likes him, but likeability is no longer good enough. If Moon has done anything better than finding efforts, its changing the mentality throughout the athletic department. He has high expectations l, regardless of what funding hurdles you have, you better produce. We just lost our xc/track coach who had a ten time all-American, was loved by all the area coaches, very involved in the community, classy guy. But, we have not placed high as a team since my era. So...he is gone. Moon has hired the volleyball coach and the softball coach and both have been absolutely spectacular. So, produce or be gone. It's funny, a year or so ago we had discussions on if Sather would be back. So, things can change quickly, but football is q tough one to turn around fast.

Long winded response, but with all that football is having built for them and the plan to continue to offer the new max in scholarships asap, there is no excuse and the last thing they'd want is to open this new place with another 6-5 season.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                        If it was the 90s, during the Heupel years, they were pretty good. Not much since.

I think everyone likes him, but likeability is no longer good enough. If Moon has done anything better than finding efforts, its changing the mentality throughout the athletic department. He has high expectations l, regardless of what funding hurdles you have, you better produce. We just lost our xc/track coach who had a ten time all-American, was loved by all the area coaches, very involved in the community, classy guy. But, we have not placed high as a team since my era. So...he is gone. Moon has hired the volleyball coach and the softball coach and both have been absolutely spectacular. So, produce or be gone. It's funny, a year or so ago we had discussions on if Sather would be back. So, things can change quickly, but football is q tough one to turn around fast.

Long winded response, but with all that football is having built for them and the plan to continue to offer the new max in scholarships asap, there is no excuse and the last thing they'd want is to open this new place with another 6-5 season.
                        With a new stadium soon, and an apparent commitment to offer the conference maximum in scholarships, I expect Northern to be consistently successful in future years. Also, they seem to have a good fan base and local support.

Comment

Excited: Despite losing a playmaking QB in Zach Osborn, the 'Cats return a good base of receiving weapons and an up-and-coming QB in Aaron Bleil. Thought he looked very good as he got more snaps last season, and I'm hopeful that he continues on that trajectory heading into Year 2.

Worried: Minimal depth at running back. WSC has traditionally done well with a go-to workhorse instead of a committee, but I'm not sure who that will be (if anyone) this fall. As always, defense worries me but I think the 'Cats return enough from last season that it's not as big of a concern.

Comment

Excited to see what the extra large recruiting class is able to do for the Dragons. I suppose that may not be as evident this year, but excited none-the-less:fingers-crossed:

Comment

The UMD Bulldogs will be tough again as usual, I expect the D to be better, barring injuries, the O really can around the last half of last season with many returning starters, We have 3 qbs that all started last year, and they all have potential to be starters this season, MN Mr. Football 2016 Sullivan will factor in the offense this year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X