Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renovations to the John Glas Fieldhouse in Bemidji

The John Glas Fieldhouse, the old hockey arena on the campus of Bemidji State University, is getting turned into an All Purpose training area. This has been in the works for years and is now becoming reality!

https://youtu.be/7TbQLBEgO2Y
    Millsy

Re: Renovations to the John Glas Fieldhouse in Bemidji

Originally posted by Millsy View Post
    The John Glas Fieldhouse, the old hockey arena on the campus of Bemidji State University, is getting turned into an All Purpose training area. This has been in the works for years and is now becoming reality!

https://youtu.be/7TbQLBEgO2Y
    Millsy: I wandered over there last week and was impressed with the progress. It's been an active place for baseball, softball, football etc for some time. Actually, my wife and I like to walk there during halftimes of the basketball games. The new turf and paint job are certainly upgrades.

Comment

So it sounds like this can be like a practice facility for all of the outdoor sports?

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
        So it sounds like this can be like a practice facility for all of the outdoor sports?
        Yes. They pulled the bleachers out, opening up and creating easier access to the storage areas behind them. They then turfed the whole floor with the exception of one end where they have a weight facility set up behind some netting/cages. Looking at the video, they have hung the batting cages from the ceilings for baseball/softball as well, that can be raised and lowered as needed.

It sounds like it will also be used for intramural sports by the student body. All-in-all, a great use of funds, I feel. I know when "The Chet" got turf, they had three things on the wish list: 1) Turf "The Chet" 2) Turn the John Glas into an indoor facility like it is now becoming 3) Eventually redo the seating at "The Chet". Of course, number 3 is going to be the costliest.........

Tracy Dill (AD) was on the Beaver Radio Network's "Sports in the Round" show last night and talked about the improvements going on at BSU. When they put the turf down at "The Chet", they also purchased portable fencing, bases, etc., to be able to use the stadium for softball games. They can get it set up to be 210' down the lines and 230' to center, which meets NCAA regs. Because of this, the stadium is hosting over 50 events a year between high school and college events.

If anyone wants to give it a listen, the October 3rd show can be found HERE.
        Last edited by Millsy; 10-04-2018, 12:27 PM.
        Millsy

Comment

Originally posted by CoachSalscheider View Post
          Millsy: I wandered over there last week and was impressed with the progress. It's been an active place for baseball, softball, football etc for some time. Actually, my wife and I like to walk there during halftimes of the basketball games. The new turf and paint job are certainly upgrades.
          I am glad that they are making good use of the space. It certainly looks nice from the TV report and pictures I have seen. Next time I get up there, I will have to try and catch a look at it.
          Millsy

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X