Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Augie/Northern Weekend

Friday night the Wolves and Augie square off in soccer. Saturday the two will match up in football at 1:00 followed by a volleyball match at 5:00.

I cant recall a weekend where we had all three against one team in the same weekend at home. Even better that it is Augie. It is probably seen more as a rivalry overall by the Northern faithful than Augie but I think the AU fan base is coming around, which is really good as I've always said it is the beat set up to have big crowds that travel well and getting some bad blood going.

The all-time record is what it is in football and I wouldn't expect Wolves soccer to pull it off but you never know. Looks like the seats will be in at the new soccer stadium in time for this weekend so that is a nice bonus. Hopefully Augie travels well and can attend all the match ups.

It is also the cancer awareness weekend and as someone who lost a dad to pancreatic cancer when I was nine and having a mom currently with stage four colon cancer we try to make it back this weekend as it hits home pretty hard.

We will be in town for a wedding but hoping to go to the most of the football game at the least. Any of you making the trip?

Just mentioned all the sports match ups do to the unique weekend but obviously this is more for football.

Windy and cool at the Swish, would you expect anything else?

Re: Augie/Northern Weekend

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    Friday night the Wolves and Augie square off in soccer. Saturday the two will match up in football at 1:00 followed by a volleyball match at 5:00.

I cant recall a weekend where we had all three against one team in the same weekend at home. Even better that it is Augie. It is probably seen more as a rivalry overall by the Northern faithful than Augie but I think the AU fan base is coming around, which is really good as I've always said it is the beat set up to have big crowds that travel well and getting some bad blood going.

The all-time record is what it is in football and I wouldn't expect Wolves soccer to pull it off but you never know. Looks like the seats will be in at the new soccer stadium in time for this weekend so that is a nice bonus. Hopefully Augie travels well and can attend all the match ups.

It is also the cancer awareness weekend and as someone who lost a dad to pancreatic cancer when I was nine and having a mom currently with stage four colon cancer we try to make it back this weekend as it hits home pretty hard.

We will be in town for a wedding but hoping to go to the most of the football game at the least. Any of you making the trip?

Just mentioned all the sports match ups do to the unique weekend but obviously this is more for football.

Windy and cool at the Swish, would you expect anything else?
    It's hard to build rivalries in this league. Best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
      Northern and Duluth used to be pretty heated, Augie and NSU have been heating up as of late, mostly die to hoops. Closest thing we have since NSU/Winona for a short span

Comment

You are correct about building rivalries in the 16 team 5 state conference. For AU I feel a rivalry with USF in FB, although they have won all but one game. Kato, Northern in BB. Will say since NSU is a SD team I get more hyped for any sport, same for USF. Back in the NCC day when Augie had 32 scholarships and we played Northern and Southwest frequently in FB generally the scores were very lopsided in AU favor it makes it hard to see them as rivals. I'm starting to see the Wolves as more of a FB rival after the last two games with them at KO, when they brought big crowds and the games were exciting. This is a game that the Wolves could win as the Vikings QB has been erratic with accuracy and interception prone. Go Vikes!

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
          You are correct about building rivalries in the 16 team 5 state conference. For AU I feel a rivalry with USF in FB, although they have won all but one game. Kato, Northern in BB. Will say since NSU is a SD team I get more hyped for any sport, same for USF. Back in the NCC day when Augie had 32 scholarships and we played Northern and Southwest frequently in FB generally the scores were very lopsided in AU favor it makes it hard to see them as rivals. I'm starting to see the Wolves as more of a FB rival after the last two games with them at KO, when they brought big crowds and the games were exciting. This is a game that the Wolves could win as the Vikings QB has been erratic with accuracy and interception prone. Go Vikes!
          Yup, history was not good to the Wolves with such a disparity. Obviously you need both sides to just have good competitive games and really good fan bases. No one seems to travel as well as NSU and Augie, plus you have the in state thing, the private/public thing (though I don't hear many mention this these days) both have great home crowds. The Wolves are still catching up in scholarships in the non "main" sports but with NSU's facilities coming I hope it takes it to another level to help us get up to where Augie is. The biggest push at NSU during the Moon era has been scholarships and moving up in the all-sports standings. We have some work to do, but regardless...see maybe see you Augie punks Saturday. Any questions on Aberdeen just let me know.

Comment

Never really thought of this but you're not really wrong. USF-Augie is a given. But outside of that we have a solid football rivalry with the Mavs, and do a lesser extent (albeit not quite as respectful extent) Winona. Although, it feels everyone has a little rivalry with WSU, weird. And maybe it was because we had to play Minot twice in our transition year but I always liked being able to beat them in stuff and show how much more ready we were for the move to the conference. But there's rarely any bad blood in this conference, only personal grudges we may all have :bulgy-eyes:

Basketball ain't really my area but I know our games with SMSU have been extremely competitive since we joined the league. Football too. In fact (any maybe it's being a SW MN native) I hoped that USF-SMSU would kinda grow into a rivalry being travel partners/proximity and competitiveness but it really hasn't. And I don't mean that hoping for hatred and dirty games, just games both teams and fans circle on the calendar. We're likely still too new to the conference. Those things take time.

I get a similar feelings for NSU as NSU4Life and VF. Same state and conference bragging rights. Although I know 4Life has some personal beef with USF :wink: Again, we're probably too much of the new kid on the block in this regard.

Anywho... should be a good game in Aberdeen come Saturday!!
            4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
            2016 NSIC Champions
            🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Originally posted by Otis Day View Post
              Never really thought of this but you're not really wrong. USF-Augie is a given. But outside of that we have a solid football rivalry with the Mavs, and do a lesser extent (albeit not quite as respectful extent) Winona. Although, it feels everyone has a little rivalry with WSU, weird. And maybe it was because we had to play Minot twice in our transition year but I always liked being able to beat them in stuff and show how much more ready we were for the move to the conference. But there's rarely any bad blood in this conference, only personal grudges we may all have :bulgy-eyes:

Basketball ain't really my area but I know our games with SMSU have been extremely competitive since we joined the league. Football too. In fact (any maybe it's being a SW MN native) I hoped that USF-SMSU would kinda grow into a rivalry being travel partners/proximity and competitiveness but it really hasn't. And I don't mean that hoping for hatred and dirty games, just games both teams and fans circle on the calendar. We're likely still too new to the conference. Those things take time.

I get a similar feelings for NSU as NSU4Life and VF. Same state and conference bragging rights. Although I know 4Life has some personal beef with USF :wink: Again, we're probably too much of the new kid on the block in this regard.

Anywho... should be a good game in Aberdeen come Saturday!!
              I think the in state thing is usually a given but in our case I have no rivalry with Moorhead or Crookston. Barely hate bemidji but that's simply because of hockey.
              I feel MSU-USF rivalry built fast with your arrival to the league in football but in all honesty I could care less to see you guys in any other sport

Comment

I agree on the rivalry topic. Seems most rivalries these days are created or forced anyway. It's ok to not have rivals. But it does sometimes add to the fun.

However, I do not care who the other team is on the field/court/etc. I just want MSU to stomp them no matter what. Rivalries go up and down. But beating a top team or a 'top team that season' is what always feels good. No matter the opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                  I agree on the rivalry topic. Seems most rivalries these days are created or forced anyway. It's ok to not have rivals. But it does sometimes add to the fun.

However, I do not care who the other team is on the field/court/etc. I just want MSU to stomp them no matter what. Rivalries go up and down. But beating a top team or a 'top team that season' is what always feels good. No matter the opponent.
                  Beating Winona, St. Cloud, and UMD is always the best feeling compared to Concordia or Minot but I get what your saying. I think sports culture needs rivalries to keep things fun and competitive.

Comment

I'm regularly concerned by how similarly we view things. I don't know if I could've said it better than "beating a top team or a 'top team that season' is what always feels good. No matter the opponent."

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                      I'm regularly concerned by how similarly we view things. I don't know if I could've said it better than "beating a top team or a 'top team that season' is what always feels good. No matter the opponent."
                      What if we met and looked alike too? I'm a little scared now.

Comment

What if we met and looked alike too? I'm a little scared now.
                        Not as much as me.

Comment

I would guess this is a much bigger game for Wolves fans every time we play Augie in football or basketball since we have not historically had much success. But I would probably say Augie is #1 on the list of teams I like to see NSU beat. It looks like a beautiful day for a football game. We better get a W soon if we want to beat Augie before they make the jump to D1. GO WOLVES!!!

Comment

What a bleeping joke....

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                              What a bleeping joke....
                              What the heck was that? The only thing I can think was that it was a negative yard punt so somehow it was not deemed a change of possession and the 15 yd penalty gave them a first down??????

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X