Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Winona_20_20DB;n456429]

Wondering why Cam gavin did not make at least 2nd Team. I checked the stats of 1st and 2nd Team Players at DB: Looks like 2-3 players he could have replaced. 3 DBs from 1 Team is a Stretch.

I don't know if you want to get into a "why didn't my kid make it" kinda thing....but when looking at the DB's, many of their numbers are similar. The fact that you guys have a strong group at Winona kinda hurts a certain players individual chances too....ie..when Hall makes it, etc. He's a physical corner who can make plays..so he makes sense too. DB is a hard one to simply go by stats....as some DB's don't get thrown at much at all because they've been identified as lockdown....and thus they get few chances for picks/plays. That said, I've brought up Cam's name in the past with my column (or here)..and I felt that he and the Winona secondary were among the best in the league.

At the end of the day it's up to the coaches to decide....both a player's coach for making a case for them in the meeting and also for the other coaches to recognize a player as well. Every year I have a handful of players that I feel differently about then the coaches....but it's their voice that matters, not mine.

Overall, Kelly Loft (SMSU SID) mentioned that 44% of the starters get selected to the squad in some form. Certainly I've stated already that this group needs to be looked at more of an elite group in the conference in which no squad has 20 guys on it. If that many guys make it from a team, then the process is flawed. In the past I've done my own squad..but for one person that's pretty time consuming and I don't pay enough attention to individual offensive lineman and such to offer something truly credible myself. I'd have to rely on contacts in the NSIC to assist me with their intel there..and at that point it's not my selections, but theirs.

The players across the league know who the dudes were..and that's what counts.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
    Working...
    X