X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    #3 is interesting to me.

While I can appreciate both a blowout and a close game, I get where they are coming from. The NSIC is a very top-heavy conference that is heavily concentrated in the south, with maybe BSU and UMD being the exceptions. Watching MSU kick the Marauders around just isn't the same thing as watching them torment the Bulldogs. Blowouts are more fun when the teams are supposed to be evenly matched, and one drastically pulls ahead. That just isn't the case with MSU vs. the bottom half of the NSIC. I mean no disrespect to Mary, but watching MSU kick around the Marauders is about as fun as watching them kick around Skyline High School.

#2 has been kicked around so much already... but here is my take...

When the average fan/student thinks of D1 basketball, they think of the Gophers, or Duke/UNC/Villanova/UCONN. They aren't thinking about Cal-Fullerton, Manhattan College, or SUNY Binghampton. The best MSU fans can hope for is SDSU/NDSU/UNI. I don't think there is going to be a massive draw for Purdue-Fort Wayne past the honeymoon period. Saying "I'd go if they were D1" is just easier to say than "I don't care." Football would be worse once people realize that Drake and USD are probably the best you're going to get, ever. Nobody cares about T/F and Golf regardless of division, and volleyball would probably bottom out in attendance.

The only real increase for attendance I could see is baseball. The Gophers used to travel to SDSU every other year. I went a couple times - they'd get 100 people in the stands as opposed to 25.

This is far easier said than done, but the solution is to become a Pitt State/GVSU/NSU style program. They have big atmosphere for being small schools. A football stadium would help, but so would working on rivalries and community involvement. Be a BIG D2 program instead of an insignificant D1 program, IMO. Again - easier said than done, but it is possible. Marshall is far smaller than Mankato, SMSU is far smaller than MSU, yet we draw very well for basketball - and I rarely hear anyone complain about not being D1.

Leave a comment:

• Twincitiesmav
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post

Thanks for the input! You are right about #1- I see a lot more people at those games compared to basketball on the same weekend, when Otto Arena would be packed when I was an undergrad and in grad school.

I was at a D1 meeting back in Sept. The speaker was from the company that told Tarleton to move up. I've noticed their name again lately on the moves by FAMU & Bethoune Cookman to the SWAC from the MEAC. There were a whole list of things pro/con talked about at that meeting

As far as being too good- well, a much better problem than being too bad!

I doubt if anyone disagrees with Blakeslee being replaced. I would hope that a major donor would step in and have a new one renamed. I could possibly have a rest room named for me...........
    Bring too good is a good problem! But I guess students would rather see competitive games than blowouts.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Thanks for the input! You are right about #1- I see a lot more people at those games compared to basketball on the same weekend, when Otto Arena would be packed when I was an undergrad and in grad school.

I was at a D1 meeting back in Sept. The speaker was from the company that told Tarleton to move up. I've noticed their name again lately on the moves by FAMU & Bethoune Cookman to the SWAC from the MEAC. There were a whole list of things pro/con talked about at that meeting

As far as being too good- well, a much better problem than being too bad!

I doubt if anyone disagrees with Blakeslee being replaced. I would hope that a major donor would step in and have a new one renamed. I could possibly have a rest room named for me...........

Leave a comment:

• Twincitiesmav
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MStateMaverick
    replied
    A good idea to get input from the perspectives of a number of individuals.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    MSU starts a fan advisory board.

https://www.mankatofreepress.com/spo...87940817a.html

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied

He is now part owner of ETS in Mankato.

https://www.mankatofreepress.com/spo...40a15ba03.html
    That's cool. I didn't realize they were expanding. He's trained with ETS for as long as I've followed him on social media.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

That's pretty cool. Glad to hear he's still involved with the school.
    He is now part owner of ETS in Mankato.

https://www.mankatofreepress.com/spo...40a15ba03.html

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied

Adam comes every year. He missed once for some tryout or something. I saw he had autographed cleats last year. He always brings some gear for the auction. Still a nice guy.
    That's pretty cool. Glad to hear he's still involved with the school.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

That's pretty cool.

Adam comes every year. He missed once for some tryout or something. I saw he had autographed cleats last year. He always brings some gear for the auction. Still a nice guy.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Adam Thielen shows up at the Mavs football golf outing yesterday. Hall of Famer, team bus driver and chaplain John Behrends is on the left in the purple cap.
    That's pretty cool.

Leave a comment:

• Twincitiesmav
    replied
    Adam Thielen shows up at the Mavs football golf outing yesterday. Hall of Famer, team bus driver and chaplain John Behrends is on the left in the purple cap.

Despite the circumstances, I heard the golf outing was a major success! A record number of participants from what I heard! This will definitely help with the unknown Financial impacts of Covid-19.

Leave a comment:

• MStateMaverick
    replied
    Two excellent individuals, to be sure.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Coach Hoffner shows his national finalist ring.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1271918239103287301

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X