Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Sioux Falls 2020

I expect this to be a playoff year. We have a lot of talent returning from last year. Deep at WR, TE, OL, and especially RBs on offense. Train and Thuro will be one of the best duos in the country. I expect Jaice Miller, the Hhghly touted QB from Champlin Park, MN to get the start. 6'4 215 and athletic.... had multiple D1 offers at WR.

I believe the only question on offense is at what level the olineman will perform at. We never have to question how elite Mankatos olineman are. I want oline to get to that level. Big boys this year though

On defense very talented and deep especially at DB. Keep a look out at Johnson and Federick, the two tall Corners to get NFL looks. I do wonder if guys like Jordan Knapke can live up to the hype they came in with though.

We lose Grantham at LB. Who will replace him. I also live the young beast known as Amari. Watch out for that guy this year and down the line. I feel this year is USF's in the NSIC. Prediction 9-1 or 10-0
    Last edited by tman28; 06-15-2020, 02:27 PM.

Love the optimism Tman. I'll just be thankful for any football we can get this fall.

The D has done great work in replacing guys the past few years so that doesn't worry me as much as uncertainty at QB (strong stable of RBs helps ease the pressure off of rookie however) and OL play like you state.

Not ready to make any predictions on a tough schedule quite yet, far too many questions remain regarding the season even happening. I remain a touch cynical though until the staff can show me this team has cleaned up little things like special teams and penalties that have cost us games far too often lately.
    4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
    2016 NSIC Champions
    🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Originally posted by Otis Day View Post
      Love the optimism Tman. I'll just be thankful for any football we can get this fall.

The D has done great work in replacing guys the past few years so that doesn't worry me as much as uncertainty at QB (strong stable of RBs helps ease the pressure off of rookie however) and OL play like you state.

Not ready to make any predictions on a tough schedule quite yet, far too many questions remain regarding the season even happening. I remain a touch cynical though until the staff can show me this team has cleaned up little things like special teams and penalties that have cost us games far too often lately.
      Agreed. I feel we have lacked consistency the last few years. Which made me wonder as I loved the talent I saw on the field. What is this about Clint Sigg transferring to Lindenwood? Obviously connections and they are who originally recruited him. But that guy would have been a penciled in starter as a former 1st to all conference TE I would have thought?

I also noticed something I hadn't when this years class came in. The two D2 transfers from Alderson Broadus. Pegly had 50 catches for 780 yards and 7 tds last year. All conference 2nd tm. And a Starting Safety Chris Hill 6'1 210, had 46 tackles last yr. Good gets with losing a 2nd tm.all conference WR in Nate Johnson.... and two all conference players Stout and Newman graduating at DB.
      Last edited by tman28; 06-15-2020, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Article on Cougar returning All American RB Gabriel "Train" Watson

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...ng/5179764002/

Comment

Originally posted by tman28 View Post

Agreed. I feel we have lacked consistency the last few years. Which made me wonder as I loved the talent I saw on the field. What is this about Clint Sigg transferring to Lindenwood? Obviously connections and they are who originally recruited him. But that guy would have been a penciled in starter as a former 1st to all conference TE I would have thought?

I also noticed something I hadn't when this years class came in. The two D2 transfers from Alderson Broadus. Pegly had 50 catches for 780 yards and 7 tds last year. All conference 2nd tm. And a Starting Safety Chris Hill 6'1 210, had 46 tackles last yr. Good gets with losing a 2nd tm.all conference WR in Nate Johnson.... and two all conference players Stout and Newman graduating at DB.
          tman, the Sigg news is fairly old at this point....as I recall that being the word as the season wrapped. He was one of Jed's guys and while he was hurt for much of last season, he could've returned to USF..yes. He's on the LU roster now, as you mentioned.

USF has also lost a few key WR's....Karnell Collier, who'd come on a good amount in the back half of the season, is no longer with USF and I haven't seen anything new about where he's landed. Jermaine Broadnax is also gone, and no word there either. Both wideouts would've been starters, seemingly.

Ty Smith returns after injury and will be leaned on heavily, and USF does have some xfer's coming in as the Cougars will be breaking in a new QB....and I'd expect a full blown competition there, and with the way incoming from QB Jaice Miller was being touted around recruiting time..they might give him a shot to run what'll likely be a VERY run heavy offense given a 2,000 yard and 1,000 yard rusher will be healthy. There's a feeling that Miller could offer some similarities to former star QB Luke Papilion. On the side of understanding of the offense Mitch Martin (SR) would be a healthy favorite, as he was the short-lived starter back in 2018. Martin doesn't run like Miller can, but he would be an easier plug-and-play answer for USF given how little ramp-up there'll be in 2020 with Spring Ball cancelled, COVID, etc.

Here's more on QB Jaice Miller..
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm1srLJCxvg

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

tman, the Sigg news is fairly old at this point....as I recall that being the word as the season wrapped. He was one of Jed's guys and while he was hurt for much of last season, he could've returned to USF..yes. He's on the LU roster now, as you mentioned.

USF has also lost a few key WR's....Karnell Collier, who'd come on a good amount in the back half of the season, is no longer with USF and I haven't seen anything new about where he's landed. Jermaine Broadnax is also gone, and no word there either. Both wideouts would've been starters, seemingly.

Ty Smith returns after injury and will be leaned on heavily, and USF does have some xfer's coming in as the Cougars will be breaking in a new QB....and I'd expect a full blown competition there, and with the way incoming from QB Jaice Miller was being touted around recruiting time..they might give him a shot to run what'll likely be a VERY run heavy offense given a 2,000 yard and 1,000 yard rusher will be healthy. There's a feeling that Miller could offer some similarities to former star QB Luke Papilion. On the side of understanding of the offense Mitch Martin (SR) would be a healthy favorite, as he was the short-lived starter back in 2018. Martin doesn't run like Miller can, but he would be an easier plug-and-play answer for USF given how little ramp-up there'll be in 2020 with Spring Ball cancelled, COVID, etc.

Here's more on QB Jaice Miller..
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm1srLJCxvg
            Jaice will be a gem for the coo. He definitely reminds me of Luke Papilion. Although.. if I were the HC. I do think it would be wise to redshirt him especially with the uncertainty of Covid-19.

Comment

Any news coming from cougar land about the expending transfer of All American RB Gabe Watson. I've heard chat about him transferring to the Texas Longhorns becuase they are planning on playing this fall?

Comment

Any news coming from cougar land about the expending transfer of All American RB Gabe Watson. I've heard chat about him transferring to the Texas Longhorns becuase they are planning on playing this fall?
                I'd been wondering if Gabe would return for the Fall 2021 szn. UT is deep at RB but I could see Gabe getting a few touches. Probably 3rd or 4th back @ UT. Keep us posted.

Comment

While I heard this Watson to the Longhorns thing early Saturday....I hadn't seen it as official news yet. However, I've heard it basically a done deal.

Considering Gabe lost virtually all of last year due to a lingering hammy that he got in practice of Week 1....he's since put his life on-hold with a med red and then now the season he's waited around for (good student who's graduated) is not gonna happen at D2 this fall. Such a move only makes sense if the Big12 is gonna play football....as he'll be a grad xfer. I don't think USF fans can be too upset with Watson here..all things considered.

UT is returning Ingram (not looking up his full bio), but he's a JR that ran for 800 and 6 scores a year ago....in a similar one-back pistol zone read scheme to USF where the QB carries regularly. So Gabe will start deep on the depth chart but his 6-2 220 frame and decent but not outstanding speed will likely open some eyes when he gets into camp. Uphill battle for certain, but for us football dorks it'll make Texas worth watching to see if he gets snaps in future weeks.

Comment

While I heard this Watson to the Longhorns thing early Saturday....I hadn't seen it as official news yet. However, I've heard it basically a done deal.

Considering Gabe lost virtually all of last year due to a lingering hammy that he got in practice of Week 1....he's since put his life on-hold with a med red and then now the season he's waited around for (good student who's graduated) is not gonna happen at D2 this fall. Such a move only makes sense if the Big12 is gonna play football....as he'll be a grad xfer. I don't think USF fans can be too upset with Watson here..all things considered.

UT is returning Ingram (not looking up his full bio), but he's a JR that ran for 800 and 6 scores a year ago....in a similar one-back pistol zone read scheme to USF where the QB carries regularly. So Gabe will start deep on the depth chart but his 6-2 220 frame and decent but not outstanding speed will likely open some eyes when he gets into camp. Uphill battle for certain, but for us football dorks it'll make Texas worth watching to see if he gets snaps in future weeks.

It makes total sense. I know the guy works his ass off and did whatever he could to get back on the field. I do believe he should have chosen a place with less competition, and less notoriety to transfer to. Does it really benefit to barely play at a D1 powerhouse, when getting more playing time somewhere else equals better numbers?

Comment

It makes total sense. I know the guy works his ass off and did whatever he could to get back on the field. I do believe he should have chosen a place with less competition, and less notoriety to transfer to. Does it really benefit to barely play at a D1 powerhouse, when getting more playing time somewhere else equals better numbers?
                      tman....I had the exact same concern and so have others in the coo world that I've chatted with about it. They have a stud frosh who's becoming the dude also. Maybe he just wanted a chance literally anywhere in D1 where games were seemingly going to be played, as was rolling the dice on his own ability to land em on the field. However, they've already had multiple scrimmages and such....so he's showing up in the middle of camp like he's from Pluto. Wish him luck tho..and yes, maybe a Kansas or someone less high profile might've been a better fit..but I'd like to think there was a specific reason for UT.

Comment

I'd like to think there was a specific reason for UT.
                        Speculation on my end - but I kinda get a Gunner Olszewski vibe from Gabe. Might not be the most "naturally gifted" athlete, but will outwork everyone else so much that he essentially forces people to pay attention to him.

Totally not sure as I don't know him, but I can see that being the case. Gunner is on the Patriots right now purely because of his work ethic. Maybe Gabe has the same mindset and wants to prove it at a higher level than what the NSIC can provide.

Comment

Also - I got Brian Hansen's autograph recently. Really appreciate it.

Kinda wanted to ask him to sign one of my cards with the phrase "Take It ToThe Top" but I also didn't want to push my luck, haha.

Comment

Bummer, but totally get it. We'll always have the memories of 2018 Gabe running up and down the NSIC.

Best of luck!
                            4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                            2016 NSIC Champions
                            🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

I've got a couple questions for the Coo faithful.

You guys were supposed to be our homecoming game this year, but that was obviously cancelled. In place of it, I'm hearing the idea being kicked around about SMSU utilizing our eSports program so at least we have something for homecoming week - but they don't exactly know what yet.

One idea I floated out there informally was to have USF face SMSU in Madden on Homecoming Saturday. If possible it would be between representatives from both teams, but if that's not possible due to regulations - we may look into coaches or alumni.

My questions are - is this something USF might be interested in participating in? If so, who would we contact? Also, if we're able to stream it - how likely is it that you guys would tune in?

I'm just trying to do some legwork on the front end in case they are interested in looking into the USF idea.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X