Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kalen DeBoer/Fresno State

I'm probably late to the party, but I recently had a conversation about Milbank, SD native Kalen DeBoer and his new job at Fresno State. Sounds like the Milbankians are closely following Bulldog football this season with nothing else to really look forward too.

He was a former standout WR for USF and played baseball there as well and came back to coach them to much success. I figured I'd pass it along in case anyone else missed the news/needs something to watch this football season.

https://gobulldogs.com/sports/footba...en-deboer/1146

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    I'm probably late to the party, but I recently had a conversation about Milbank, SD native Kalen DeBoer and his new job at Fresno State. Sounds like the Milbankians are closely following Bulldog football this season with nothing else to really look forward too.

He was a former standout WR for USF and played baseball there as well and came back to coach them to much success. I figured I'd pass it along in case anyone else missed the news/needs something to watch this football season.

https://gobulldogs.com/sports/footba...en-deboer/1146
    One of the best offensive masterminds in the country. Old school values with new school approach type mentality. He was the runner up for the Boston College job which went to Ohio States D-Coordinator. What he did at Eastern Michigan and Indiana was unheard of for quick stops. He could have held out longer for a Power 5 job but hes been right at every stop hes made. Your right mustang for Sioux falls fans this is a great follow.

Comment

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

One of the best offensive masterminds in the country. Old school values with new school approach type mentality. He was the runner up for the Boston College job which went to Ohio States D-Coordinator. What he did at Eastern Michigan and Indiana was unheard of for quick stops. He could have held out longer for a Power 5 job but hes been right at every stop hes made. Your right mustang for Sioux falls fans this is a great follow.
      According to his Wikipedia he actually played indy ball for a year after college which is kinda neat.

I wasn't aware of him until yesterday, but I'm definitely going to keep an eye on Fresno State this year.

Comment

Kalen DeBoer succeeded the legendary Bob Young as head coach at USF from 2004-2009. Along with defensive coordinator Chuck Morrel they coached the team to a 67-3 record with three national championship titles. It was a huge loss to see them go, but they were destined for bigger things.

Awesome that they're back together at Fresno State. It gives me a D1 team to root for.

Comment

Considering this was back in January (which of course feels like 5 years ago) I don't blame ya for missing it....

https://www.d2football.com/forum/for...esno-state-coo

Reposting from that thread:

Like all professions, just maybe a little more public, coaching is all about who ya know, and who ya worked with. Since a lot of these guys were my own coaches at USF, I'll try to explain the Coo connections.....

Deboer and Morrell are the only former Coo players and direct connection to Bob Young. They were teammates on the 1996 championship team under Coach Young. Morrell the leading tackler, and DeBoer the standout WR. Both would then graduate and begin coaching under Young at USF until his retirement in 2004. That's when DeBoer took over and began his own little tree of sorts shown below. So they have quite a long history.

Ryan Grubb came to USF in 2007 (and IIRC he was teammates with current Coo HC Jon Anderson and strength coach Zach Mathers at Buena Vista University) and left after 2013 to join DeBoer in the Eastern Michigan turnaround and ultimately to Fresno.

Lee Marks was a former Boise State running back but his Coo connection was serving as a strength and conditioning/RBs GA at USF in 2010 and 2011.

Eric Schmdit is the only one who wasn't a USF coach at one time.... but worked with DeBoer at Southern Illinois under Dale Lennon for a few years.

I know a lot of other schools may have connections like this amongst their own former coaches and players but I'll echo what Witt says in that the USF connections make Fresno a team to watch for a lot of old Coo guys like myself. I know many of my former teammates on social media would recognize old plays and concepts watching Fresno or Indiana. UND couldn't stop the TE delay in 2009 and appears many B1G teams couldn't either this season. Seeing a lot of your former coaches climb to the highest rungs of the coaching ladder is fun to follow and satisfying in the sense that little ol NAIA USF was churning out guys with serious coaching chops.

Good luck to the Bulldogs.
          Also, good article from DeBoer's stint at Indiana where he talks about how his time at USF as a player and coach made him into the coach he is today:

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/...t-to-hoosiers/
          4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
          2016 NSIC Champions
          🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Originally posted by Otis Day View Post
            Considering this was back in January (which of course feels like 5 years ago) I don't blame ya for missing it....

https://www.d2football.com/forum/for...esno-state-coo

Reposting from that thread:

Also, good article from DeBoer's stint at Indiana where he talks about how his time at USF as a player and coach made him into the coach he is today:

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/...t-to-hoosiers/
            Very possible I read the thread and then forgot about it too - thanks for sharing the info!

Comment

Coach DeBoer is interviewing for the Washington opening today apparently... The climb continues.
              2016 NSIC Champions
              🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Would be neat to have DeBoer at UW and Dickert at WSU.

Comment

Coach DeBoer is interviewing for the Washington opening today apparently... The climb continues.
                  Not quite official yet but close it sounds like. Wow. That escalated even faster than I thought.
                  2016 NSIC Champions
                  🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Not quite official yet but close it sounds like. Wow. That escalated even faster than I thought.
                    heard it is officail

Comment

https://twitter.com/UWAthletics/stat...498809345?s=20

Sure is.

Wild.
                      2016 NSIC Champions
                      🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

Except against Nevada this year when he allowed them to go 91 yards in 53 seconds and cost me an 11 game parlay worth $2023... No I'm not bitter !

Comment

Congrats to him despite my personal thought. He is a heckuva coach !

Comment

Good for him! Wonder if he's going to bring Chuck Morrell and Ryan Grubb with him from Fresno State?

That coaching staff was nearly unbeatable with the USF Cougars. The five years he was head coach for the Coo from 2005-2009 he had a 67-3 record with four championship appearances and three titles. Took a NAIA team up to Grand Forks and soundly beat a D1 UND team, and be the first South Dakota team to ever get a victory at the Alerus Center.

Edit: Just noticed I already mentioned most of this earlier in the thread. Oh well, it's a good enough thing to warrant mentioning twice. :)
                            Last edited by Tundra_Man; 11-30-2021, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post
                              Good for him! Wonder if he's going to bring Chuck Morrell and Ryan Grubb with him from Fresno State?
                              Grubb officially announced today he'll be joining Kalen as the Washington OC. That's one.

2016 NSIC Champions
                              🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X