Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also Arvay and Wr Goodwin have been teammates since 10 years old until they transfered junior and senior years. Arvay went to Hamilton and Goodwin Saguaro. Hamilton has 9 state titles and Saguaro 6 state titles. Arvay went to Hamilton cause jerry rice"s son Brenden wanted to play with Arvay last 2 years (also good friends) and Rice wanted one of best qbs in state to play with

Comment

• Looks like Herrera has left the team, so it'll be Nava or Arvay at QB this year.

Comment

• Yeah and i saw that they offered a juco guy and theres another freshman comin in with arvay, but hes an ath/qb. If competition is close and they think arvay is future they will probably go with younger guy (arvay) . Since herrera left they almost have to get someone else just to have another body.

Comment

• This list has Bouman as the #13 QB in D2. I just thought that was kind of interesting...

http://www.draftscout.com/div.php?CF...SC&startspot=0

Comment

• nm
            Last edited by laker; 04-24-2020, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
              This list has Bouman as the #13 QB in D2. I just thought that was kind of interesting...

http://www.draftscout.com/div.php?CF...mp;startspot=0
              They also listed Vitu Cholongo from Augustana #38...problem is he only played a few snaps in his career at the end of games. LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

They also listed Vitu Cholongo from Augustana #38...problem is he only played a few snaps in his career at the end of games. LOL.
                Don't get me wrong, I like Boyer. I really do. Got handed some pretty big reigns and made the best of his time as a starter, IMO.

I just thought that #13 was a little... generous.

Comment

• Sauter was just on WCCO with Mike Max, gave an update about the team and how they are handling COVID. That was kind of fascinating. He said most of the team has gone home but a few are still in the dorms, and even though they can't get work in on the field they are still finding ways to try to improve themselves.

Comment

• SMSU is offering and getting better players last two years. Hope it shows with more wins this year and next. They have 15 offers out in Az already for 2021, which is more than ever before in Az. Offered two top recruits in SDakota, and some top recruits in Minn, California, Texas and Nevada. A lot of these kids are on top teams in state. Really expanding their recruiting footprint the last couple years and targeting really good players. It only takes a few studs (in right positions) on both sides of ball to get to playoffs!

Comment

• Originally posted by SMSU fan View Post
                      SMSU is offering and getting better players last two years. Hope it shows with more wins this year and next. They have 15 offers out in Az already for 2021, which is more than ever before in Az. Offered two top recruits in SDakota, and some top recruits in Minn, California, Texas and Nevada. A lot of these kids are on top teams in state. Really expanding their recruiting footprint the last couple years and targeting really good players. It only takes a few studs (in right positions) on both sides of ball to get to playoffs!
                      McClure certainly seems to be paying dividends as a recruiter

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

McClure certainly seems to be paying dividends as a recruiter
                        I think I posted it already, but the Las Vegas Review-Journal published an article on McClure bringing talent to SMSU. It's weird to read a Las Vegas newspaper article about a small college in Minnesota.

We'll have to wait and see how it plays out, but I'm pretty satisfied thus far with his recruiting abilities. I can't imagine it's any easy sell to guys from Nevada and Arizona on coming to play in Marshall, so he's gotta be one hell of a sales guy.

Comment

• A lot of these borderline d1 and fcs kids are realizing that they have a chance to play 3 or 4 years at d2 level and start 30 or 40 games as opposed to maybe playin their senior year at d1 school. Just reaching out to these kids goes a long way. All the coaches have out of region and in region areas(Sauter is minnesota and texas) bullerman is Az and Nebraska.etc...they are gettin smsu name out there and recognizable in Arizona, Nevada, California and Texas and once kids see a another kid from big school(Arvay from Hamilton) go somewhere it makes it more appealing to them. Now u get receivers from Henderson Nevada and Bishop Gorman wantin to play with him and its a domino effect. Now they are offering kids from Chandler High in Arizona (top ten in country) goin into 2021 and have good chance to get them

Comment

• Originally posted by SMSU fan View Post
                            A lot of these borderline d1 and fcs kids are realizing that they have a chance to play 3 or 4 years at d2 level and start 30 or 40 games as opposed to maybe playin their senior year at d1 school. Just reaching out to these kids goes a long way. All the coaches have out of region and in region areas(Sauter is minnesota and texas) bullerman is Az and Nebraska.etc...they are gettin smsu name out there and recognizable in Arizona, Nevada, California and Texas and once kids see a another kid from big school(Arvay from Hamilton) go somewhere it makes it more appealing to them. Now u get receivers from Henderson Nevada and Bishop Gorman wantin to play with him and its a domino effect. Now they are offering kids from Chandler High in Arizona (top ten in country) goin into 2021 and have good chance to get them
                            I think you're absolutely right. Better to start for 4-5 years at the D2 level than ride the bench at the FBS level. Guys who want to play football come to D2, guys on the fringe who want a snazzy uniform for the Instagram photo go D1 - even if it means all they really get is a warm seat on the sidelines. NFL scouts know the difference.

SMSU has a hard time recruiting in their namesake. We're sandwiched between SDSU and MSU for one thing, and the allure of the MIAC for another. Marshall is our only "big" high school. All the other schools in the area are smaller-class co-op schools. Also - most members of the thread will disagree with me, but I don't think we have a great reputation academically in SWMN. We're a good school, but most people don't see it that way.

Our saving grace is our facilities. Our stadium is probably nicer than a handful of FCS stadiums. We also do a decent job drawing a crowd too. SMSU football is the show on Saturday nights in town. I really wish we could get a guy to the league, that would obviously help a bit with recruiting.

I was really hoping to catch these guys in action. Our QB for part of last year, Nava, was out of California and showed some real promise before he got injured. He almost slayed the mighty beast that is the Mavericks. I hope this new crop of southwestern kids can get us there.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I think you're absolutely right. Better to start for 4-5 years at the D2 level than ride the bench at the FBS level. Guys who want to play football come to D2, guys on the fringe who want a snazzy uniform for the Instagram photo go D1 - even if it means all they really get is a warm seat on the sidelines. NFL scouts know the difference.

SMSU has a hard time recruiting in their namesake. We're sandwiched between SDSU and MSU for one thing, and the allure of the MIAC for another. Marshall is our only "big" high school. All the other schools in the area are smaller-class co-op schools. Also - most members of the thread will disagree with me, but I don't think we have a great reputation academically in SWMN. We're a good school, but most people don't see it that way.

Our saving grace is our facilities. Our stadium is probably nicer than a handful of FCS stadiums. We also do a decent job drawing a crowd too. SMSU football is the show on Saturday nights in town. I really wish we could get a guy to the league, that would obviously help a bit with recruiting.

I was really hoping to catch these guys in action. Our QB for part of last year, Nava, was out of California and showed some real promise before he got injured. He almost slayed the mighty beast that is the Mavericks. I hope this new crop of southwestern kids can get us there.

One of the things I kinda miss from the Eidsness days is the underrecruited rural kids that used to come here and ball out.....Noethlich, Bullerman, Wysong, Klinkner, Tonderum, Wilson. Don't get as many of these types anymore. It's great our recruiting profile is improving in the Twin Cities and other parts of the country, but to me these types of kids were the heart and soul of our teams and that's been missing the past few seasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

One of the things I kinda miss from the Eidsness days is the underrecruited rural kids that used to come here and ball out.....Noethlich, Bullerman, Wysong, Klinkner, Tonderum, Wilson. Don't get as many of these types anymore. It's great our recruiting profile is improving in the Twin Cities and other parts of the country, but to me these types of kids were the heart and soul of our teams and that's been missing the past few seasons.
                                I wonder how these guys are going to adjust to the weather. Odds are, if they've ever experienced weather like this, it's only been brief. I know guys do it all the time, so hopefully it goes well. I've lived here my entire life and it can be hard to adjust to it.

I agree though. Tonderum is the only one of those guys I saw play. He was something else. Him, Charlie Football, Anthony Dean, etc got me into the Stangs back in '13.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X