Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSIC - Week 7 Chat

No doubt about the game of the week- Augie at Wayne. I was impressed by that freshman QB- he was getting the crap beat out of him for three quarters, but he hung in there and dominated the fourth.

Hammer week for the Stangs and Warriors - one of my favorite games of the year.

I'm not expecting much from this game, but I also didn't expect much in 2014 when our backup QB was on kicking duty either, so who knows.

Comment

Augustana at Wayne State - Dang tough game to pick. My heart wants Wayne, but after three solid wins in a row I don't think they're going to catch the Vikings off guard. I think it comes down to how Saddler does. If he has an off day then Wayne will probably win, but if he's on I think Augie will squeak out a victory. After two weeks of kind of meh play, I think Saddler is due to bounce back. I do think it will be a lower scoring defensive battle.

Minnesota State-Moorhead at Bemidji State - Moorhead has been playing better, and Bemidji seems to be slowly slipping in the other direction since week 1. However, I'm not quite ready to not take the safe pick, so I think it will be the Green Beavers at home.

Minnesota State-Mankato at Upper Iowa - Two weeks in a row UIU is getting angry teams coming off of tough losses to their stadium. The Peacocks actually did better against Augie than I expected. Maybe they will also do better than I expect against Mankato? Even if they do, I don't think they win.

Concordia-St. Paul at Minnesota-Duluth - Probably not going to be close. Sorry Golden Bears.

Southwest Minnesota State at Winona State - After dropping 3 of their last 4 games, Winona doesn't look like the team we expected them to be coming in to the season. I think they get things right this week. SMSU's defense and running game didn't look too bad last Saturday. However, until they figure out their passing game I'm probably not going to pick the Mustangs against any .500 or better teams.

Mary at Sioux Falls - In years past this probably would have been a slam-dunk pick. This year? Not so much. Mary looks to be building a solid program, and as was mentioned during last night's D2 Nation show, Logan Nelson would probably be in the running for the Harlon Hill if Mary was a higher profile team. As a Coo fan, their passing game concerns me against the Coo secondary that at times doesn't look real strong. Thankfully, from a Coo fan's perspective, Mary's defense doesn't look particularly strong either. Without Thuro Reisdorfer, the USF running game is solid but not elite, however I think solid will be enough to put some points on the board. Basically I could see this turning into an offensive shootout. I'm making my pick in the hopes that USF's ground and pound approach can chew up enough clock to keep Mary's offense off the field.

Minot State at Northern State - The Wolves have been scoring gobs of points, and the Red Beavers have been giving up gobs of points. Bad combination for Minot.

Comment

IT'S AXE WEEK!
        The game against Bemidji State is already a big one for the Dragons because of the rivalry. However, because of the timing of this game, in the middle of the season, it makes it even more critical. It will be a tough match-up but I'm really hoping MSUM pulls off the win and I think the Dragons certainly have the ability to do so.

Comment

Northern has shown the ability to get up for big games this year. They were a muffed kickoff from knocking off Mankato, dominated USF, and held on against Winona. They have been less impressive in games they were favored. Slow starts vs. SMSU and Upper Iowa eventually gave way to comfortable wins, but the atrocious start against Mary cost them that game. Minot is the worst team in the league. NSU should be able to dominate this week from start to finish. Minot has shown some signs of life the past couple weeks and finally put some points on the board, but I don't see any way they keep the Wolves under 40 this week and I honestly expect NSU to put up 50. I don't think the Beavers can keep up with that pace, but I would like to see the NSU defense put up some fight and keep Minot in the teens. NSU is a good football team, but they need to come ready to play every week, even against Minot.

Comment

It's probably been beat to death, but why is Minot struggling so much? They are a big school with nice facilities - complete opposite of Crookston, but with similar winning potential.

I get the location probably isn't great in the eyes of most 18-22 y/o's, but still... yeesh.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
              It's probably been beat to death, but why is Minot struggling so much? They are a big school with nice facilities - complete opposite of Crookston, but with similar winning potential.

I get the location probably isn't great in the eyes of most 18-22 y/o's, but still... yeesh.
              I know the Todd Hoffner debacle was a factor. He came in, replaced the coaching staff and then left all within a time span of about three months. That certainly doesn't do much to help a program succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post

I know the Todd Hoffner debacle was a factor. He came in, replaced the coaching staff and then left all within a time span of about three months. That certainly doesn't do much to help a program succeed.
                *See Northerns Chris Boden era

Comment

Speaking of Minot - this is a curiosity...

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post

That's right, that happened. They'd only been D2 for 3 seasons at that point. I can see that holding any program back, especially one in transition.

Also, I noticed their 2011 schedule - that was brutal. Montana State, UTSA, #5 TAMK, and twice against USF. Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Even when Minot was NAIA, they made some odd hires that didn't work out. Mary's biggest NAIA challenge was Dickinson State during the Myron Shculz era. Just looked into the Todd Hoffner situation, (unreal, no words, Ill leave it at that). I know Minot had hired a Director of Recruiting from Luke Fickells Ohio State staff at the time.

Way OT here but when I first started reading this site a Northern fan said they saw the coach driving around town in a massive SUV with loud thumping rap music and yelling down the main strip. I could probably go back and find the post but would they be referring to Chris Boden? I see hes at Villanova now.
                      Last edited by UMary1; 10-12-2021, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

Even when Minot was NAIA, they made some odd hires that didn't work out. Mary's biggest NAIA challenge was Dickinson State during the Myron Shculz era. Just looked into the Todd Hoffner situation, (unreal, no words, Ill leave it at that). I know Minot had hired a Director of Recruiting from Luke Fickells Ohio State staff at the time. There seemed to be momentum but he left the profession for an exec job in California.

Way OT here but when I first started reading this site a Northern fan said they saw the coach driving around town in a massive SUV with loud thumping rap music and yelling down the main strip. I could probably go back and find the post but would they be referring to Chris Boden? I see hes at Villanova now.
                        Isn't the same Chris Boden.

Chris Boden - Football Coach - Villanova University

Chris Boden - Head Football Coach/Offensive Coordinator - Football Coaches - Northern State University Athletics (nsuwolves.com)

Comment

Even when Minot was NAIA, they made some odd hires that didn't work out. Mary's biggest NAIA challenge was Dickinson State during the Myron Shculz era. Just looked into the Todd Hoffner situation, (unreal, no words, Ill leave it at that). I know Minot had hired a Director of Recruiting from Luke Fickells Ohio State staff at the time. There seemed to be momentum but he left the profession for an exec job in California.

The Hoffner/Minot situation was weird, and messy. Not really my place to comment either, and I don't want to derail the thread just to share my opinion on it.

I wish the best for Minot and hope they don't go down the same road Crookston did, though they aren't quite as bad. They probably just need the right mix of people running the show.

Comment

Thanks Laker,

Comment

I'll save you time. I don't remember saying rap music, nor does the type of music really matter. But the difference between that staff, Dosch who was a character guy that was trying to fig out of a hole and the approach of the Mike Schmidt era are completely different. Maybe Boden has grown over the years, my opinion doesn't really matter regardless, but it was awful for Northern and I've got plenty of classmates that would back that.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X