Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about NSU and Aberdeen

I've been looking at grad schools for Sports Administration and Northern State has a program. I was just wondering if Aberdeen and the school are a good place to check out?

Originally posted by mountaineermagic View Post
    I've been looking at grad schools for Sports Administration and Northern State has a program. I was just wondering if Aberdeen and the school are a good place to check out?
    The temperature would be similar to Gunnison's. Just no beautiful mountain scenery.

Comment

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post

The temperature would be similar to Gunnison's. Just no beautiful mountain scenery.
      Thanks for the response. Yea it's a special place. Proud to be from Gunnison.

Comment

I think so. I was on campus in September and I enjoyed my visit. The school gets a ton of support from the community and it shows. I don't know a lot about the academics, but I'd imagine it's roughly on par with other state universities in the midwest. I've heard people enjoy going there though.

I was impressed with the town. It's my favorite town of that size in SD. It's obviously going to get pretty cold in the winter, not a ton for scenery in the immediate area, and it's pretty secluded by my standards (Fargo is 3 hours away, Waterville is about an hour away). That being said, it has everything that one would need, plus some decent sports. I really want to check out the theater, the one with the beautiful marquee downtown, next time I visit.

Comment

Aberdeen is a fantastic community and Northern holds a special place in my heart as well. It is a smaller university in a smaller community but depending on your preference that could be a very good thing. As has been mentioned we are about 3 hours away from any of the larger communities, but as a smaller hub town in the area we have everything you really need. The community and region in general are very supportive of the school and the athletics here. If you are on this message board I imagine that will have some appeal to you. The basketball program is the crown jewel of the university, but the brand new football stadium is impressive as well. As for the school itself, like I said it is a smaller university so you get a more personal feel at NSU. There have been many improvements made on campus over the last several year as well and there are more coming with new facilities and courses being added. There has recently been some changes in administration so I'm sure they will be looking to add their stamp on the school as well. The community and the school offer that midwestern "nice" that you will find with most places in our part of the world. Yeah, it gets cold here but that's not the worst thing in the world either. People I know that have been through the Sports Admin program have loved it and I would highly recommend you take a look at NSU.

Comment

My first thought is Aberdeen will feel more like a city than Gunnison. Two different landscapes.

Like when you enter in Aberdeen on the main road there's a Buffalo Wild Wings and a lot of chain restaurants and feels like a college town as the local community REALLY supports the home team (Wolves). The attendance at NSU game in both football and hoops is the best in the upper midwest for D2. The city is currently listed at 28,000 versus Gunnison..7,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post

Aberdeen is a fantastic community and Northern holds a special place in my heart as well. It is a smaller university in a smaller community but depending on your preference that could be a very good thing. As has been mentioned we are about 3 hours away from any of the larger communities, but as a smaller hub town in the area we have everything you really need. The community and region in general are very supportive of the school and the athletics here. If you are on this message board I imagine that will have some appeal to you. The basketball program is the crown jewel of the university, but the brand new football stadium is impressive as well. As for the school itself, like I said it is a smaller university so you get a more personal feel at NSU. There have been many improvements made on campus over the last several year as well and there are more coming with new facilities and courses being added. There has recently been some changes in administration so I'm sure they will be looking to add their stamp on the school as well. The community and the school offer that midwestern "nice" that you will find with most places in our part of the world. Yeah, it gets cold here but that's not the worst thing in the world either. People I know that have been through the Sports Admin program have loved it and I would highly recommend you take a look at NSU.
              Thanks for the tips. Cold weather doesn't bother me too much. Gunnison is a dry cold that most nights wins the Denver news' coldest town. I thought is was cool that Don Meyer's first college coaching job was at Western State. Have you gone to any Wolves baseball games in the spring? Are those fun?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                My first thought is Aberdeen will feel more like a city than Gunnison. Two different landscapes.

Like when you enter in Aberdeen on the main road there's a Buffalo Wild Wings and a lot of chain restaurants and feels like a college town as the local community REALLY supports the home team (Wolves). The attendance at NSU game in both football and hoops is the best in the upper midwest for D2. The city is currently listed at 28,000 versus Gunnison..7,000.
                Good information Matt. That sounds like a bigger version of Montrose(about an hour west). Thanks!

Comment

Not sure if you're a hockey fan, but I just remembered - the Wings had three former players be nominated for the Hobey Baker Award this year, which is pretty impressive for an NAHL team.

I've never been, but they seem like a decent team.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                    Not sure if you're a hockey fan, but I just remembered - the Wings had three former players be nominated for the Hobey Baker Award this year, which is pretty impressive for an NAHL team.

I've never been, but they seem like a decent team.
                    Yea I like the Avalanche a lot. I'll have to check that out.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Cold weather doesn't bother me too much. Gunnison is a dry cold that most nights wins the Denver news' coldest town. I thought is was cool that Don Meyer's first college coaching job was at Western State. Have you gone to any Wolves baseball games in the spring? Are those fun?
                      Wolves baseball doesn't get much of a following. Many years it can be hit or miss as to whether or not they even get home games because of the weather and the early season. The Aberdeen Wings hockey team (NAHL) does have a great fan base and those teams are usually very fun to watch.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X