Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Sioux Falls Trip

Completely off-topic so please forgive me in advance.

Headed to Sioux Falls with my boy this weekend. Any suggestions on places to eat, or must-see things? Will only have an extra day, but will be back in a month for the actual move-in day and will have more time then to explore. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

I only have visited Sioux Falls once, visiting from North Dakota, but we really enjoyed visiting the actual water falls. Which we didn't realize were there at first, but given the name of the town should have been obvious. Look for Falls Park, they have a walking path that takes you all around the various falls so you can see them from different angles, and there is a visitor center where you can get a higher view of them also.

Comment

Can't go to Sioux Falls without going to Sioux Falls. https://www.experiencesiouxfalls.com/falls-park

Comment

Originally posted by BIGvikingFan View Post
        Can't go to Sioux Falls without going to Sioux Falls. https://www.experiencesiouxfalls.com/falls-park
        Seconded. Great day-trip type activity. Falls Park as a whole is really nice and is much more than just the falls itself.

Other than that, Downtown has a nice art walk and walking the river is pretty fun. They have the Japanese Gardens, but I haven't visited those yet. The USS South Dakota museum looks fun, but I haven't gone. I plan to check out the State Theater this week. You can also see if anything is going on at the Washington Pavilion.

Food - There's some good places downtown, I've heard JL Beers is good. I like Taphouse 41, but all have to be 21+ to enjoy. I've heard Harrisburgers is great, a 20 minute drive south if you have the time.

Oddly enough, I think I've only stayed the night once in SF - and that was for a surgery. I live north of there and come down a lot, but it's usually just for sports/shopping.

Comment

Quick thoughts for a guide....The Falls are kinda always a starting point..yes.

Breakfast: Original Pancake House - very well-run location..easily the best breakfast in SD..massive 5 egg omelette that's an experience in itself. (they have locations in MN also)

If downtown, the Market Diner has an old fashion touch and very good food..nice an cozy. Recommended.

There's now a lot of local mom/pop eateries downtown and they've really made the downtown area a nice spot to walk around with different sculptures and such. There's also MacKenzie River Pizza and Pasta downtown, which is a nice setting also. Minerva's downtown is a nicer place..family dining with great aged steaks. Feel free to check reviews on these places. JL Beers is kinduva neat burger/bar setting..smallish with very good food.

Sports Bar: Shenanigans is probably the best place to watch a game in a nice open setting with lots of TV's..very good wings and chislic (think of diced up steak bites with BBQ sauce). That's on the west side of town but a short ride if staying in a hotel out by Empire Mall..which is quite a ways from the SF downtown area (20 mins).

Local Entertainment: The SF Storm (Indoor Football) host GBay on Sat night..and they've been champs of the Indoor Football League a handful of times in the last 10 years. Fairly entertaining if you've never been to a game like this and the Storm have a good production and very nice venue, etc.
          https://siouxfallsstorm.com/sports/f.../schedule/2022

Hope that helps.

Comment

Kinda different, but the Smithsonian is hosting a festival at Levitt Thursday-Saturday. I also heard there is some big convention at the Washington Pavilion if you're into that.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Local Entertainment: The SF Storm (Indoor Football) host GBay on Sat night..and they've been champs of the Indoor Football League a handful of times in the last 10 years. Fairly entertaining if you've never been to a game like this and the Storm have a good production and very nice venue, etc.
              https://siouxfallsstorm.com/sports/f.../schedule/2022

Canaries and Thunder are also at home this weekend too.

Comment

My kids love going to the zoo and the Science Discovery Center at Washington Pavilion

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Canaries and Thunder are also at home this weekend too.
                  The Thunder....apparently that's a soccer team. Not gonna lie, didn't know that was a thing in town.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

The Thunder....apparently that's a soccer team. Not gonna lie, didn't know that was a thing in town.
                    Yeah... they don't have a huge following. I was bored so I checked them out a few weeks back. They play at O'Gorman this season. It's like a fourth division semi-pro league or something. Maybe 100 people in attendance.

There's also Sioux Falls City, but it looks like they're done for the season. They just started this year. Goal was to get players from the local NSIC schools, which is why I know about them.

Comment

Amazing suggestions. Thank yall. Falls were frozen when we were up in January, so definitely gonna go there. Gotta say the Storm game sounds intriguing. I had already found the website for the Canaries but think that may have to wait. Good to know that I will be leaving my kid in an area where there is so much to do outside of campus.

Witt, you read my mind on the breakfast...spent thirty minutes looking for the best breakfast in Sioux Falls, and now I have a starting point.

Thanks to everyone for the assist with this.

Comment

Originally posted by WPHB View Post
                        Amazing suggestions. Thank yall. Falls were frozen when we were up in January, so definitely gonna go there. Gotta say the Storm game sounds intriguing. I had already found the website for the Canaries but think that may have to wait. Good to know that I will be leaving my kid in an area where there is so much to do outside of campus.

Witt, you read my mind on the breakfast...spent thirty minutes looking for the best breakfast in Sioux Falls, and now I have a starting point.

Thanks to everyone for the assist with this.
                        Sioux Falls is great. The people there seem to really love living there, I for one love visiting.

Does he like college basketball?

Baylor and Gonzaga Basketball Coming to Sioux Falls (espnsiouxfalls.com)

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                          That is a great game! I told him about it and in true Texas Tech fan fashion he said, "anyone but Baylor!" So Gonzaga may have another big supporter at the Pentagon that night.

Pentagon is really a cool facility. We got to see Northern and Augie play there on the last trip and it was an incredible gym and really amazing atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by WPHB View Post

That is a great game! I told him about it and in true Texas Tech fan fashion he said, "anyone but Baylor!" So Gonzaga may have another big supporter at the Pentagon that night.

Pentagon is really a cool facility. We got to see Northern and Augie play there on the last trip and it was an incredible gym and really amazing atmosphere.
                            Haha, that's awesome! It's one of the most anticipated matchups of the season, and it's right in SF. They are also hosting SDSU vs. South Carolina in Women's basketball, which is a huge matchup.

Funny, I was at that Augie/Northern game too. It's a great facility. Most of what Sioux Falls has is top notch facility wise. There's no shortage of sports in town, that's for sure. Would definitely recommend he check out a Stampede game or two once winter rolls around, even if he's not a hockey fan.

Comment

The Pioneers Memorial is a nice quick stop - not much to do there, but it's a neat lookout over the city.

The Minnehaha County Pioneers Memorial & The Amidon Affair Marker (sdpb.org)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X